PDA

View Full Version : July Challenge Voting - Mapping the Novel

arsheesh
08-01-2013, 06:06 PM
This month's challenge was to create or re-create a map for a published novel. We have several wonderful entries this month:

July Challenge Thumbs (http://www.cartographersguild.com/challenge_thumbs.php?type=regular)

Please vote for your favorite map(s), and be sure to be generous about repping those who participated in the challenge. The voting will last for 4 days and the winner will receive a golden compass and the praise, admiration and envy of his peers. May the best map win.

WillP
08-01-2013, 07:55 PM
Impressive maps all around. Diamond I repped you; Max, I tried, but can't at this time.

justMANGO
08-01-2013, 08:20 PM
Hmm. Bit of a hard choice between a couple of the entries. I think I'll sit on this for a while longer before voting.

Azelor
08-01-2013, 09:03 PM
Done. Very high quality contest and even if some are not finished their artist do have a lot of skills.

Good luck to all participant.

Bogie
08-01-2013, 11:16 PM
Great work everyone, Max, Outstanding!

- Max -
08-02-2013, 05:34 AM
My votes go to Diamond (a very nice style, quite different from what you usually do and nice color scheme aswell) and Sapiento (nicely done as always though it's a bit too simple to my eyes). Since there wasn't that much entries I'll stay with two votes but Beoner also did some nice effort on Helm's deep!

Greenlizard0.
08-02-2013, 06:01 AM
All of you have done very wel. The two I like the most are those of Max and Sapiento.

ravells
08-02-2013, 06:47 AM
Absolutely fantastic entry, Max!

Eilathen
08-02-2013, 07:13 AM
My votes did go to Max (well, that new style of his is hard to beat for my tastes) and Diamond (i think i never saw a Diamond map i didn't like and this one has a really nice look - i might need to read those books, after all :D ).
Too bad SK couldn't finish his malazan project. Get better soon, SK, and take care!

Beoner
08-02-2013, 10:01 AM
One more vote for -Max-, awesome job on this map. Sapiento also got my vote, I like the style and coloring. Diamond also did a great job, and it was hard to decide if I should vote or not for this one, but I prefered to keep 2 votes as most users did.

Unfortunately I haven't read any of the books that you guys based the maps on, so I had to consider only general "map things", and not the representation itself (if it was close to the novel idea or not). And I can't rep both Sapiento and -Max-, need to spread it more =/.

Jaxilon
08-02-2013, 02:26 PM
Awesome stuff guys - sorry I haven't been able to get in on any of these lately but I'm looking forward to joining you all again soon.

Max - that is fantastic and very complete. It's my favorite of the lot.
Diamond - great map and one of my favorite trilogies too. I like the simplicity and the cleanliness.
Sapiento - For me this was close behind Max's and you both had a similar feel which I enjoyed very much. Just the extra touches Max had with the bordering and information put his on top for me. On the bright side a vote is a vote :)
Beoner - I liked this one very much as well but I figured I should only cast 3 votes. Still, I like the style you have going on here. The muted scheme you used harkens to the middle earth styles we often see so kudos for that. Maybe it's my monitor or my poor eyesight but a couple of the others just had a bit more eye-pop that drew me to them (not sure how to explain that - it just looked kind of even across the board). Still a fabulous job and a worthy contender.
SK(because it's too much to type) - I know you got ill so that explains the uncompleted entry. As usual with your stuff what you have done is great.
Leen - a good entry as well. I am wondering what that style might look like on a massive scale as in if you did a huge city or world map like that. It could be incredible but would require a ton of detail. On a small scale it's 'looseness' (which a lot of people like I have to admit) leaves me uncertain how much I like it. I makes me wish I could see the rest of the map (so that's a good thing) which brings me back to my 'massive scale' comment.

As usual, these are just the thoughts I have as I look the entries over and what helped me to decide who I voted for. When I can, I try to post my why's and wherefores as perhaps they may help someone garner more votes in future. I appreciate all the artwork shared as I know how tough it can be for some of us to put ourselves out there for judgement so it is never my intention to hammer anyone's effort.

Keep on mapping!

RjBeals
08-02-2013, 04:11 PM
wow couple of real beauties in there. Sap I love your mountains and have saved into my "inspiration" folder :)

Larb
08-02-2013, 04:58 PM
Some wonderful stuff - I'll need to think it over as there are some tough choices. Max needs to share a few of his techniques I think. =P

I was sadly unable to devote the time to enter but I may still do the map idea at some point anyway.

Diamond
08-02-2013, 06:52 PM
Max's was, far and away, my favorite. The fact that the Fafhrd and Mouser stories are some of my favorites didn't hurt either. I also voted for Sap cause, let's face it, you can't go wrong with his maps. :D

BTW, thanks for all the rep, guys!

thecraftybee
08-03-2013, 07:48 AM
First time voter here. I voted for Max as I love his work and I love his style.

I didn't realise I could vote multiple times. My second vote would have went to Sapiento. His (her?) map looked very painterly to me and I liked the colours and loved the coastal style. The only thing I didn't like about it was the compass rose: it was too prominent and I didn't like the direction letters on it. I think it would have worked better if it was smaller/faded/made simpler or if the simple border style was made more elaborate to match.

I loved the font, border, compass rose and cartouche of Diamond's map and I liked how you bend the names with the coast or the mountain chains too. I thought the map looked a little sparse, but the detail was great when close up, especially in the Aareni area. Diamond would have gotten my third vote.

I know better for next time.

Great job all.

Schwarzkreuz
08-03-2013, 07:34 PM
I voted for Max, D and Sap. I wish I wouldnt be nearly constantly ill or stressed or most time booth in thjis year. I think I will skip challenges till I have time

Diamond
08-03-2013, 10:12 PM
I'm praying to the gods LessStress and NotSick that SK gives us more awesome maps in the months ahead.

Jaxilon
08-04-2013, 01:33 AM
@SK - Hey man, even if you don't finish them just by your entering you force everyone to bring their 'A' game. So even if you do have some health issues I for one am always happy for your efforts.

Also, I have wishes for your being healthy :)

Sapiento
08-04-2013, 04:01 AM
I voted for Max, D and Sap. I wish I wouldnt be nearly constantly ill or stressed or most time booth in thjis year. I think I will skip challenges till I have time

Sorry to hear this. Gute Besserung!

Eilathen
08-04-2013, 05:22 AM
I'm praying to the gods LessStress and NotSick that SK gives us more awesome maps in the months ahead.

Quoted for truth!

Viking
08-04-2013, 11:21 AM
Nice work everyone!

Beoner
08-07-2013, 01:27 PM
Well, congratulations -Max- you deserved the prize ;)

But, will August have any challenge?

Diamond
08-07-2013, 03:17 PM
Well-deserved win by Max; I'm sure it will be the first of dozens. :D

Sapiento
08-07-2013, 03:24 PM
Congratulations!

arsheesh
08-07-2013, 04:25 PM
Congratulations Max!

I'll have the August Challenge up latter today - sorry for the delay, I had to present on the current chapter I am working on for my dissertation yesterday and that has kept me occupied for the last several days.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

- Max -
08-07-2013, 05:52 PM
Thanks much guys for the votes and the support and nice works everyone!

ravells
08-07-2013, 08:14 PM

Take care, and know that you don't have to press yourself too hard. Hope things get better / easier for you, Schwarz. Remember you can come here and shoot the breeze and help beginner mappers and stuff - you don't have to post brilliant maps all the time! :)

best

Ravs

p.s. Congrats Max - Your talent is amazing! Can't wait to see more of your work.