PDA

View Full Version : *** August Challenge - Redraw an Old Map***

arsheesh
08-07-2013, 08:14 PM
This month's challenge was devised by RecklessEnthusiasm well over a year ago. Heaps of people were interested in it at the time. Hope that is still the case. Here was his idea:

Simple idea, inspired by a deviant-art meme that has been floating around for a while: redraw one of your old maps to see how far you've come! The final post should be the original map and the new version side-by-side. I'd personally love to see how far I've come, and it would be awesome to see some of "the greats" post their early work along side their current level of mastery.

So that is what this month's challenge will be. Now, for any new comers who would like to participate but haven't yet created any maps here, you may redraw a map previously created by somebody else here at the Guild (just make sure they consent to your doing so). EXCEPTION: the map must not have been commercially published; that was last month's challenge.

Title each new thread July 2013 Entry - <your title>

Precede each WIP image with the tag ### Latest WIP ###.

The challenge will end on or around the first of September, and the winner will receive a golden compass, an enviable accolade here at the Guild.

Azelor
08-07-2013, 08:40 PM
I think you should add that the original author have to conscent that someone else use his image, in the requirement. I think it's obvious but just in case.

arsheesh
08-07-2013, 08:41 PM
I think you should add that the original author have to conscent that someone else use his image, in the requirement. I think it's obvious but just in case.

Good point. Doubt many folks would mind, but you never know.

Larb
08-07-2013, 08:43 PM
This one I can definitely do. It'll likely be a town map. I have a heap from 2002ish I can do new versions of.

eViLe_eAgLe
08-08-2013, 02:27 AM
Time to put my hands into the game once more.

Beoner
08-08-2013, 10:22 AM
Cool challenge, I may work in something :)

Bogie
08-08-2013, 02:09 PM
I liked it then, I like it now.

Jaxilon
08-10-2013, 09:31 PM
Wait, can we redo a map of our own or does it have to be from somebody else?

arsheesh
08-10-2013, 09:40 PM
Wait, can we redo a map of our own or does it have to be from somebody else?

Yes, you can certainly redraw one of your own maps. That bit about someone else's map was just for new comers who haven't yet done any maps they wish to redo.

Larb
08-10-2013, 09:51 PM
I am sort of entering under the assumption it is mainly to redraw one of your old maps. So I'm glad that is so. =P

Jaxilon
08-11-2013, 12:37 PM
Ok, if there is one map I have done that I want to redo it's got to be this one of my rpg world (http://www.cartographersguild.com/regional-world-mapping/11048-map-my-gameworld-2.html#post119995). I'm linking it here because I had to dig for it and I'm not yet decided if I have enough time to pull it off. I have a very busy next few weeks so it's not looking good. I may start it anyway and just finish it whenever I can.

Anyway, will this one work for the contest because it never was fully labelled in the first place and I sort of worked on it till I ran out of abilities, it was early on days for me at the time.

arsheesh
08-11-2013, 04:49 PM
Anyway, will this one work for the contest because it never was fully labelled in the first place and I sort of worked on it till I ran out of abilities, it was early on days for me at the time.

Yup, that'll do.

Chashio
08-16-2013, 03:35 PM
But I just started a new map project. :( Ah well. I wish you guys fun.

Schwarzkreuz
08-16-2013, 04:11 PM
Any map of you will be interesting to look at. Keep on

Anyway. I stopped vomitting Blood and Ectoplasm and am out of the Health-Clinic again. Maybe I may join this competition, but I will only do so with a finished map. I am realy not in the mood for another Ghost-Entry....

Diamond
08-17-2013, 06:42 PM
Yep, that's what I was thinking, SK. I'm working on one, but I don't want to post it until I'm sure I can finish it.

And good to hear you're no longer leaking ectoplasm!

Seraphine_Harmonium
08-22-2013, 05:00 PM
OH WOW. I didn't even know this was running. I've been wanting to do this contest for a long time. Shoot, now I'm almost out of time!

lostatsea
08-28-2013, 06:36 PM
To draw the attention to part of the contest rules/ Suggestion.
The final post should be the original map and the new version side-by-side.. Heads up Guys if this is going to be enforced then you better look at the size of your entries ! It took several re-sizes and finagaling to get mine under the size limit !! Better hurry.

Jaxilon
08-31-2013, 02:33 AM
I hate that I wasn't able to do this one. I barely started my redo but due to not being comfortable sitting up for my usual long hours at a time I just didn't have any way to get this done. Alas, like others, I've been waiting for this challenge as an excuse to redo one of my maps but, no dice. :(

Wishing those of you who entered all the best!

Larb
08-31-2013, 06:48 AM
So do the side by side maps have to be on the same image or just two attachments at the bottom of the same post?

lostatsea
08-31-2013, 09:00 AM
Well of two separate attachments the Thumb scrubber will only pick up one. Myself and Bogie took it literally but arsheesh would be the one to ask for a final verdict on this matter.

justMANGO
08-31-2013, 11:25 AM
I'm a bit wary about the possible lost in quality when you stick two things into one image. That and I don't think it makes for good presentation.

Seraphine_Harmonium
08-31-2013, 03:39 PM
Mine's currently a matter of the new one being 3000x2000 whereas the original was something line 875x700. I either have to shrink my final image down a crazy amount, or I have to have a ton of blank space on one side, because I can't blow up the original or it will just become a blurry mess. Now I wish I had those fancy image enhancing programs on all those cop shows.

Jaxilon
08-31-2013, 07:18 PM
Well, tbh in the end the decision is always left for the voters to decide. Personally, I think having each image in it's own thumbnail is fine because after all you won't likely be showing them side by side after the challenge anyway as far as your portfolio goes. Whatever shows your work off to the best advantage is what really matters.

I could be wrong here but I think if you just post it up with the ### WIP... message on the final NEW image you should be good. I'll have to check again but I don't think the vote is based on who made the most improvement anyway.

In the past when we had contests based on an image (eg. Clouds) you only had to have the original cloud shot in the wip thread not on the final map.

arsheesh
09-01-2013, 03:55 PM
Hey all, just a reminder that the challenge will be closing today for voting, so if you have any last minute changes to make, make them in the next couple of hours. I'll have the voting up in 2-3 hours.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh