PDA

View Full Version : August 2013 Entry - Port Kullen

Larb
08-08-2013, 06:01 PM
I don't have anything to show just yet but I'll post the source image I am working from. It's not a big town but there is a lot of stuff missing from the original that I shall add. There will also be some slight "retconning" so that it makes more sense. The climate is somewhat greenlandish. I may incorporate other elements into the map. I did consider making an isometric map, but I want to stay close to the original.

Port Kullen is a town map from 2004. It was part of an old RP campaign set in my main world where all my stories and things take place.

The settlement is a colony - but the atmosphere is more like the viking colonies of Vinland rather than later colonies such as Jamestown. It's a joint enterprise between some nobles and a merchant house trying to exploit the local mineral wealth. There are natives too but they aren't native american inspired. They are something else. There are also a few supernatural horrors too.

Larb
08-10-2013, 06:51 PM
I did some work briefly on this tonight. Nothing special - just deciding where the buildings will go. There will be a lot of hand drawn elements but they will be done in SAI.

14 is a big temporary warehouse with a canvas roof - almost like an enormous tent. It'll need to be entirely hand drawn instead of using the line tool.

There's a church (12) but it is made of wood. As I want to show that some time has passed so I am going to add a stone one currently under construction nearby.

### LATEST WIP ###

Larb
08-13-2013, 02:51 PM
Another update though I still have a lot to do. I am putting a little more effort into the details. Then I want to make the whole thing look dreary and windswept. Which might turn out terrible - who knows.

### LATEST WIP ###

Beoner
08-13-2013, 03:00 PM
As always your houses are amazing, but I ended up liking the port platforms and ships more for some reason :D

Nothing to add really, just had to say it is turning out pretty good.

Azelor
08-13-2013, 03:18 PM
Your roofs are really cool and the farmland too. Well it's because I wanted to make some but was not sure how.

justMANGO
08-13-2013, 04:04 PM
Amazing rooftops. I would not ever have the patience to sit down and draw them individually.

Larb
08-13-2013, 06:28 PM
Thanks everyone.

Azelor: I just use lines like that generally. It looks like crop/vegetable patch rows so it works for me. On closer up things I'll add a little shading to give it more depth but generally I find just a basic background colour with those lines works.

JustMango: I must admit stealing the style of the waves from yours and Arshees's recent maps. I think they look more effective than my usual cloudier looking wave patterns.

justMANGO
08-13-2013, 08:42 PM
I'll admit to stealing the waves from Arsheesh as well, but hey, you know what they all say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. :P

Clercon
08-14-2013, 01:50 AM
Looks very nice and inspirational, I really like your houses, a lot of small details. And so far the competition in this months challenge doesn't look too hard ;)

justMANGO
08-14-2013, 12:30 PM
And so far the competition in this months challenge doesn't look too hard ;)

Looks can be very deceiving. ;)

Azelor
08-14-2013, 01:56 PM
There is still plenty of time.

lostatsea
08-15-2013, 03:30 PM
Yep I see a Definite improvement between original and remake. Makes me want to try a town map ! Good luck in the contest!

Larb
08-16-2013, 07:03 PM
This is pretty much done but I still might make some changes. I'll leave it a few days before I come back and look at it.

### LATEST WIP ###

Sapiento
08-17-2013, 01:45 AM
Quite an improvement!

Bogie
08-17-2013, 10:41 AM
Excellent!

Freodin
08-18-2013, 05:18 AM
Now that is nice!

Diamond
08-18-2013, 03:51 PM
That is really great work.

arsheesh
08-19-2013, 04:54 PM
Wow, comparing your latest piece with the former, the improvement in style and technique is remarkable. This latest piece is very lovely. The colors are fantastic, very nice line work on all of the houses, and I also really dig your shield icon. Great work Larb and best wishes in the competition.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Jaxilon
08-23-2013, 08:21 PM
HUGE improvement. I'm still hopeful I can get working on mine but as usual I'll leave myself only a couple of days to do it :)

jturner
08-24-2013, 07:38 AM
Lovely! Really like the sea effect, and the light and shade to suggest topography are great. I've copied this to my inspiration folder!

Larb
09-01-2013, 04:17 PM
Just a few minor tweaks. That side road at the top wasn't really adding anything to it. And I named the inn. It was originally called "The Clubbed Seal" but that was a bit of a joke really.

### LATEST WIP ###