PDA

View Full Version : AUGUST 2013 Entry - Well of Lost Souls

lostatsea
08-14-2013, 04:23 PM
Hi gang been awhile since I entered one of these . First some background on this particular entry. When I first arrived here my mapping skills and art skills were CRAP ! Now Hopefully slightly less so ? Thanks mostly to the guide minds of the folks around here !! I toyed with all the tutorials here trying to find My style which I have as yet to clearly define Maybe some day . ANYWAYS One of my prefer-ed style is Satellite so I spent a great deal of time trying the Saderan tutorial by TEAR and Creating mountains and other terrains in Photoshop by PASIS I was tinkering on the Well of souls Island in that style. I posted the attached Picture of two scrolls featuring the island and a more general area map. It was basic but it spurred me to complete a much more complete and (better ??) version which I never got to post. In April 2011 disaster struck in the form of a backup drive crash.:(( Everything up to that point was lost. This is the only survivor from my earlier work. I have someone trying one last time to fix the drive enough to get my old stuff back (Inspired by this contest)If i happen to find a later version It will be inserted instead of this in the final work. I don't know if I have time to recreate this entire scroll or Just the island. We'll see. Here is the very basic version.
### LATEST WIP ###

If this doesn't qualify for the "Before " part of this contest let me know and I'll withdraw it ?

lostatsea
08-14-2013, 05:07 PM
So in the last year or so I have been trying to perfect a unified cloud mapping technique. I am making some progress. Here are the clouds ( Photos taken by me) That I will be using to recreate The Well of lost souls. There are some problems with these photos that will need to be corrected But They have the basic shapes I need.

History lesson The Well of Lost Souls is an Island reputed to be centered in the Coraspice Sea . I say reputed as none reputable has ever return from there. Surrounded by treacherous Reefs Shrouded in eternal fogs and "Reputed" to be guarded by an ancient Sea Dragon this Island has claimed many of souls. Over the centuries is has been know by many names. Isle of the Lost , Lost Isle , Isle of the Damned .The draw of the unknown. the Lure of dragons treasure Even an attempted escape of pirates have ended the same. Ships and crew lost forever. Most wise men avoid the area altogether. Still some wander into the fog by accident others by design . The later was the case of Captain Noah Swalter and the Brave crew of The Silver Crest.

justMANGO
08-14-2013, 05:26 PM
The competition is on! :P

Don't usually see maps with clouds in them; looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Good luck!

lostatsea
08-14-2013, 05:48 PM
I started working on this idea Friday after I visited the current challenge forum hoping I could find a better BEFORE picture. Here is part of the process so far.
One : Desaturate and assemble the clouds do some distorting to get the basic shape.

Two: The upper left section is too dark compared to the rest. Adjust .

Three: Run it through Wilber to get a starting point

Well the White areas on the main Island are to expansive . Need to "Lower" them and paint in new peaks on the bump map.

Four : Actually closer to 24 attempts.

Five :Wilberize again and again and again ETC

lostatsea
08-14-2013, 05:55 PM
Step Six Tinker, Wilberize, Adjust, Repeat, Repeat, Repeat, Put back into Photoshop use Lighting effects to get a terrain map.
Basic Terrain features. Will need to Tinker some more as ther isn't enough lowlands to fit fit the idea in my head !! Damn !! Well I am trying to perfect this and practicing a mistake makes a perfect mistake . Or something like that.

Basic Terrain
### LATEST WIP ###

Larb
08-15-2013, 09:42 PM
For some reason your latest attachment is invalid. But I can see the others.

You wilbur/photoshop lighting effect results look better than mine. Wilbur is pretty great though.

Schwarzkreuz
08-16-2013, 03:17 PM
Splendid results

lostatsea
08-16-2013, 03:22 PM
Thats funny it was there ????? Well lets try again !

Okay this is what happened yesterday. I posted my attachment as usual but I got a number instead of the thumb nail. I clicked on it and it went to the picture. Today it was deleted from my attachments and clicking the number gives an "Invalid attachment" Error. I just tried to again and the same thing happened it uploaded and posted only as a number and not a Thumb? Okay Now its there very Strange. Okay now it is gone again ??? Now It is back again ? WHOOOO my head is swimming !

lostatsea
08-16-2013, 03:49 PM
Here is a Wilber PS hybrid which I think Is heading in the right direction.

Desaturated.
Different lighting and hybridized. Needs more light I guess ?

Comments and suggestion always welcome !

lostatsea
08-16-2013, 04:13 PM
Two More Hybrids Closer to what I want !
### LATEST WIP ###

lostatsea
08-17-2013, 07:37 PM
Well I believe this will be the Final UN-detailed Isle Base. Need to soften the terrain transitions , Add water features, work on the Reefs, Labeling ETC, ETC :roll:

lostatsea
08-18-2013, 12:46 AM
Next step. I NEED to get to bed !!:mrgreen:
Added the basic reef layout needs some detailing , Laid in a basic ocean texture .
### LATEST WIP ###

arsheesh
08-19-2013, 04:58 PM
Very interesting technique for generating terrain. You've done a great job with this so far an I look forward to seeing what's next for the map.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

lostatsea
08-20-2013, 08:43 PM
Thanks Arsheesh. I have sort of become obsessed with this Technique since the July 2012 contest . Small Update added the " Bank of Eternal Fog" Some basic rivers and opened up a space for the Lake /lagoon. Also tweak the color/Saturation more to my liking !

### LATEST WIP ###

lostatsea
08-21-2013, 10:06 PM
Updated the Reefs and the fog bank. Question ?? How does one label maps made in the satellite style . I have seen a "FEW" here at the guild but they rarely have much in the way of labeling. Any suggestions for a labeling format that with "FIT" this type of Map ?:?::?:

### LATEST WIP ###

Bogie
08-22-2013, 12:43 AM
Not sure what to do about the labeling, but I like the map!

Chashio
08-22-2013, 01:58 AM
Cool landmass. Odd light source. :) Labels... maybe something with a drop shadow so it looks like they're floating above the map. Or just regular labels in your favorite font.

Lingon
08-22-2013, 03:21 AM
I think the labeling style you used there in that latest WIP looks pretty awesome for this type of map – though it might be too much if you plan a lot of labels. Then I'd suggest using that one for the big labels and something simpler, like just low-opacity black text and a little bit of gaussian blur or something, for the smaller ones. And by the way, a small blur might be something to try on the label you already have, as it's a little pixelated. Anyway, great job on this map!

lostatsea
08-23-2013, 05:21 PM
Well I corrected the blurry Type and the improper shadow/lighting What Say you to the shipwreck marker as a way to mark major features?:?:

### LATEST WIP ###

Alternative marker.There is pixelation because it is enlarged. It doesn't show up at standard resolution.

lostatsea
08-23-2013, 08:26 PM
Some other prominent "Features" Labeled. Any C&C on the labeling? Okay ; Overdone Etc?

### LATEST WIP ###

Larb
08-23-2013, 09:23 PM
The words around the circles are hard to make out. Perhaps you could try a light blue-grey font colour with dark blue-grey stroke/outer glow.

lostatsea
08-23-2013, 09:33 PM
Larb
Thanks I'll give that a try .

lostatsea
08-24-2013, 09:11 AM
Larb Is this more legible ?
### LATEST WIP ###

Lingon
08-24-2013, 05:12 PM
Wow, you took it from a great satellite-style map into something that actually looks like a real satellite picture! The new light source and color tweaks did a lot. And I really like your icons. The more I look at that effect you have on the large text and the circles that makes them look carved into the picture, the more I want to try it myself. Would you mind sharing your technique?

Larb
08-24-2013, 06:28 PM
Yes it is much more readable now although I had a slighty lighter and desaturated blue in mind.

lostatsea
08-25-2013, 11:03 AM
Lingon I have several techniques for the De-bossed- Carved Look but each has it's own shortcomings. This ones shortcomming is it doesn't work well at low res or on small elements . It wouldn't work on the smkaller type in this map for example. This technique is counter intuitive in the way the layer effects are utilized but here it is.If you have any question I'll gladly help as well as I can. This should work in any version of Photoshop from7 through CS es. Actual values will have to be varied according to the size of the element they are being used on !

lostatsea
08-25-2013, 11:16 AM
Another one of the endless update !:P Added the ruins tweaked some settings. Added a area for the border which I haven't chosen between the few options I have.

### LATEST WIP ###

Lingon
08-25-2013, 12:00 PM
Success :D

I didn't get the drop shadow to work at the blend mode you suggested, the shadow doesn't show up at all, but it looks ok without it I think. I'm on an older PS version, so that might be why. Anyway, thank you for showing your settings!

The ruins look badass. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the frame.

lostatsea
08-25-2013, 12:44 PM
Lingon Find attached a zip of the layer style . If it doesn't work then Uncheck "global lighting" and tinker with the ANGLE.

lostatsea
08-25-2013, 02:20 PM
Getting close to the end. (Of my PATIENCE)!:x
C&C Required on the Border And the Different type style on the "Shipwrecks" Label. Better or Better on the Rest of the Labels ?

### LATEST WIP ###

Chashio
08-25-2013, 04:12 PM
What's with the ? marks? The Ruins label could be pointing more directly at the ruins... took me a moment to find it. The border is good, nice style, it matches all of the extra elements even if not the land itself (everything is very blue compared to the bright green land, but not saying I don't like it).

Good work on this lostatsea!

lostatsea
08-25-2013, 07:13 PM
Chashio Thanks for the suggestion. I'll move the marker. I redid the mini version and didn't get it lined back up.The question marks are there to (unclearly) convey that the Vague shadow in the lagoon, Could it be the reputed Sea Dragon of legends ? Or just some debris on the bottom. The Question mark for the Crystal Structure is there to ( Unclearly) convey That though it does exist it is a Total enigma ! Got a few days still Maybe I'll remove the ? If the elements clash too much with the land Any Suggestions ? The land is the primary focus so the others elements are sort of drab by comparison. I am All about learning so suggestion are welcome!

lostatsea
08-25-2013, 09:24 PM
Here is Probably my last update untill ( IF) I get my "BEFORE"map off my old hard drive. Even If I get disqualified I had A Blast Remaking this map !!:

GREEN or GOLD:?:

### LATEST WIP ###

Bogie
08-25-2013, 09:34 PM
Looks great, the border is excellent, & the labels are very good.

Chashio
08-25-2013, 10:04 PM
Either border :) Both look good. The ?s are fine too... just wasn't sure if they meant you were thinking of changing your mind about the labels or something.

lostatsea
08-28-2013, 05:23 PM
Found the original in the wrong folder on the wrong disk!! Wo Hoo ! Here is
APRIL 2011 AUGUST 2013

FEBRUARY 2011

### LATEST WIP ###

Bogie
08-28-2013, 10:08 PM
Oh, Man, I don't know,,, I kinda like the original one better than the new one. Just Kidding!! Great big improvement, new map is wonderful. AND I love the space filler with the compass in it! It looks great, and if you look close you can see the new map as a tiny group of islands in the background!!! Fantastic!

lostatsea
08-29-2013, 03:51 PM
Thanks Bogie The space filler version was a earlier version ( Feb 2011 see first post) That I went on to detail in April 2011 . Then of course I traded techniques when I entered the July 2012 contest " use a cloud " . I have pretty much become obsessed with "perfecting" that style . I am still working /experimenting on it.

arsheesh
09-01-2013, 06:09 AM
I like both versions, although the contrast on the second map, particularly the shadows, seems a bit heavy. I dig the borders though.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

lostatsea
09-01-2013, 08:23 AM
Wow this is all typed in capitals but saves as lowercase !!!
### latest wip ###

Lingon
09-01-2013, 08:57 AM
Honestly, I like the previous version better; the ultra-high contrast made it quite special and the colors where more pleasing to the eye, I think. It's a great map, whichever version you use as the final, and you'll have a vote from me for sure! But I think the previous variant was more interesting to look at.

Anyway, a couple of suggestions, if you have time: The blue line between the old map and the remake is maybe not needed? The montage would look cleaner without it, I think. And don't forget to smooth the highlights on the deboss effect on the circles!

lostatsea
09-01-2013, 08:58 AM
The weirdness continues !!!!! Photoshop won't save this RIGHT no matter how I try in PNG Format. I've saved other after it to png and they upload fine.
Thanks Lingon I fixed the pixels around the circles It turned out being a redo job with a different technique. It was worth it though!I also went through and synced the shadow settings in the labels.Changed the seperator to wood . I tryed nothing and assorted colors Something has to be there. As for the Contrast / Shadows issue I really don't know maybe a compromise ? Thanks for all the input !! It really helps to have a fresh set of eyes !!

### LATEST WIP ###

lostatsea
09-01-2013, 10:02 AM
ANY ONE else have a preference between Lighter and Darker Shadows/ Contrast ?

PRESENTATION VERSION
### LATEST WIP ###