PDA

View Full Version : Village of Östergård

maquesh
08-15-2013, 03:46 PM
In a current campaign my character has recently become knighted and steward of a village. Last night when I had some downtime in the game session I sketched a map of the place.

A friend of mine has the paper now and has promised to scan it in for me so I have something better to work with.

I'm planning to use this as a base for a map drawn in gimp. This will be my first serious attempt at computer drawing (I've always put it off because I don't have a drawing pad, but now I figure I should give it a try anyway). I'm thinking I'll draw elements like houses and trees and use them as brushes. The compass rose is something I should probably do at least part of in a vector graphic program, but I suck at handling those >.<

Any tips, tricks and opinions are super welcome!

Azelor
08-15-2013, 05:54 PM
It seems ok for a base map but it's very blurry. So, it's hard to tell.

maquesh
08-16-2013, 08:44 AM
That's true. I've received the scan today, which is A LOT clearer :)

I don't seem to be able to include it now, but I'll make another attempt when I'm at home.

maquesh
08-17-2013, 04:04 AM
Here we go:

Better?

I'm thinking I should attempt to do the compass rose in inkscape and the map itself in gimp. Anyone have any good tutorials to point med to?

Azelor
08-17-2013, 12:16 PM
I don't use these software so I can't really give a lot of advices but I found some things that might interest you.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/mapping-elements/10041-free-hand-drawn-town-buildings.html
http://www.cartographersguild.com/town-city-mapping/545-gimp-brush-drawing-buildings.html

What are the curved lines along the river and the road ? Did you tried to make a topographic map?

maquesh
08-18-2013, 06:59 AM
The curved lines are very poor attempts at drawing fields.

I know they're probably not realistic in the least, but they're at least better than the yellow squares visible in all the town/village maps from my teenage years ;) I'm hoping to figure out a way to improve them while I'm in the process of digitizing the map.

maquesh
08-18-2013, 03:31 PM
An update:

I've worked on the compass rose, using gimp. I really didn't seem to get along with inkscape at all, so I've given that up for the moment.

The heraldic shield will need the sword and sledgehammer. Also some effects. I saw a mini-tutorial on heraldic shields somewhere around here a few days ago. I'm gonna try to find that again, I think.

Falconius
08-18-2013, 07:23 PM
The tutorial was on Arsheesh's Miscellaneous tutorial (http://www.cartographersguild.com/tutorials-how/24147-miscellaneous-quick-tutorials.html) thread probably.

I was going to ask, why do the Rose and heraldry on the computer unlike the rest of the map?

maquesh
08-19-2013, 12:18 AM
Yup, that was the tut I was looking for! Thank you.

I will be doing all of it on the computer, but the heraldry was the most fun to begin with :)

So far I've been doing free-hand drawing, because I don't know the tools well enough to know if there's a better way. Exception being the circle, obviously.

Am I doing alright so far? It's taken about three hours to make the compass rose, but I guess I'm getting faster as I practice.

I'm gonna try to use paths for the river. Which other tools are suitable for different parts of the map?

Azelor
08-19-2013, 01:44 AM
I think you should get rid of the with around the rose and replace it with transparency if possible.

A vector based program should be good with rivers to start.

To make the field you could do something like this If it's for farmland. : http://www.cartographersguild.com/current-mapping-challenge/24270-august-2013-entry-port-kullen-2.html#post223169
or some 45 degree lines, it might look good.

maquesh
08-19-2013, 02:52 AM
The white will definitely be removed later on.

That style of farmland looks very nice! I think I'll do something like that.

I should probably explain my vision a bit more. I'm planning to replace all the scanned-in elements with computer drawn equivalents (not quite as sketchy) and will try to get a parchment background. The farmland, river and forest-areas (that are only scattered pines now) will get a bit of colouring, though I'm not sure exactly what look I'm aiming for there yet. Some of the forest areas will also be denser than they are now.

maquesh
08-19-2013, 04:05 PM
Another update. I've still just been working with the compass rose and shield, but I think I'm satisfied enough with them now to get on with the rest of the map.

maquesh
08-26-2013, 04:00 PM
I haven't had as much time as I would like on this, but I'm gonna call it done. It's pretty far from the style I had initially planned, which turned out to be way more work than I have time or patience for. All that said, I'm still pretty happy about it, even though it's not a masterpiece :)