PDA

View Full Version : August 2013 Entry - Principality of Al Senia

justMANGO
08-15-2013, 05:20 PM
The timing of this challenge is nothing short of perfect. Come September I'm going to be very busy with school, and I've been wanting to redo this map for a while. Attached is the old map I will be reworking, which dates back to November 2011. This is the second map I have ever created, and admittedly the revamp will only be my fourth. (The third being this (http://www.cartographersguild.com/finished-maps/24231-city-azena-capital-al-senia.html).)

The aim of the revamp is to

tweak the eco-geographical areas without dramatic changes (there's a restriction on changes because locations of things need to cohere with the content of a novel)
recreate the map using a semi-realistic painterly style
include changes and additions since the creation of original map

Wish me luck! :D

justMANGO
08-15-2013, 08:58 PM
Not much to be shown here, just some lines to begin with because everything is going to be hand drawn. File is half-size.

### LATEST WIP ###

Larb
08-15-2013, 09:43 PM
A nice start. Why is that plain called the Prairie of Colours anyway?

justMANGO
08-15-2013, 10:28 PM
The name of that plain is probably getting changed because I'm splitting it into several smaller areas, but it was originally called the Prairie of Colours because it was conceived to be a flatland that was more yellow than it is green the further south it went. And since a few cities and several towns (not depicted in the original map) are located there, the vegetation and farmlands also gave it quite a bit of varying colour in certain places.

justMANGO
08-16-2013, 02:00 PM
Added some preliminary colours. More details will be added later.

### LATEST WIP ###

Counlin
08-16-2013, 02:17 PM
AWESOME mountains I have to yell xD

jbgibson
08-17-2013, 05:05 PM
Yes, I do believe you have that mountain look down to a T. Beautiful work!

If those NW wet strips are all supposed to be rivers, they've got a jarring unbelievability (won't have one river running from ocean to ocean, or alternatively won't have rivers running two ways out of one source lake). If they're just narrow sea-level straits and you have three islands, that's okay. If the latter, you could make sure it's plain by varying their width more.

justMANGO
08-17-2013, 08:40 PM
I can see how you've got your river police badges. :P Thanks a lot for the very helpful pointers though. I'll be editing those later tonight.

arsheesh
08-19-2013, 05:01 PM
JM, I really liked the old map but the painterly style you have chosen for this new version is very promising indeed. Can't wait to see more.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Lingon
08-22-2013, 03:26 AM
Looks fantastic so far!
There's a lot of sea that could be cropped away to focus the map more on the landmass, but at the same time, all that sea gives a feeling of an island far from everything else, so if that's what you were aiming for: well done ;)

justMANGO
08-22-2013, 02:21 PM
I left a lot of the sea visible for the WIP because I ran into a problem in my last map. I had a lot of legend of labels to put in, and I didn't leave enough empty space so I ended up having to add in a whole lot of sea water after everything was done, which was annoying. To prevent that issue this time, I decided that I'm going to leave a massive amount of water and then crop whatever that's not needed when all the labeling is finalized. But other wise, this is indeed an island relatively far away from any many landmass. :)

justMANGO
08-22-2013, 02:33 PM
(Been away for a few days, sorry about the inactivity.) I think I'll leave the background as is, except for maybe I'll tamper with the rivers and lakes a bit more. We'll see. Next off: cities, towns and labels. (WIP is half-sized.)

### LATEST WIP ###

Bogie
08-22-2013, 07:30 PM
The rivers look much better now. I really like the forested delta in the North West.

Sapiento
08-24-2013, 08:04 AM
I think you should work on the forests. I have the impression they look somewhat top-down, while the mountains have a nice iso feeling. Maybe adding stronger shadows on the right side?

justMANGO
08-24-2013, 11:59 AM
I think you should work on the forests. I have the impression they look somewhat top-down, while the mountains have a nice iso feeling. Maybe adding stronger shadows on the right side?

Yup. That has now been taken care off. Good call, sir.

(Probably won't post another WIP until I'm done for good, because it's quite close to being done.)

justMANGO
08-25-2013, 03:32 AM
(It's frigging 3:30am and I really should be sleeping.) Alright folks, let us tentatively call this done. Any possible tweaks from now on, if any, will probably be minor cosmetic stuff. Comments, suggestions, spelling corrections, and policing of any kind is still very much welcome. And yes, that is one helluva sexy compass, if I must say so myself. :P

### Latest WIP ###

arsheesh
09-01-2013, 06:12 AM
It is a very nice compass indeed.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh