PDA

View Full Version : August 2013 Entry: BLACKSMITH Redux

Bogie
08-16-2013, 01:06 AM
This Blacksmith was the second map I ever made. It was made in Aug 2007, 6 years and 3 or 4 computers ago. My original Dundjinni files used to create it are long gone with those computers, so I have to start this from scratch.

Here is the original map. I will post the new one as it progresses.

lostatsea
08-16-2013, 04:15 PM
Welcome to the contest. It looks good even for being 6 years old !

Bogie
08-16-2013, 05:10 PM
Thanks, I was pretty happy with the building ( not to bad even now looking back ), but I was never happy with the landscaping.

Bogie
08-16-2013, 08:29 PM
Here is the start of the new map. I am keeping the exact wall size and the 3 furnaces. I did change the color of one of them. Still not sure about the interior floor, should I go with a flagstone texture like this or a stone block something like the original. Still have a lot to do to finish it.

### Latest WIP ###

Bogie
08-18-2013, 12:14 PM
I am pretty much finished with the structure and have most of the major furniture in place.
Still needs a lot of details, shadows, and objects inside. Then I have to start on the landscaping.

### Latest WIP ###

Jacktannery
08-18-2013, 12:58 PM
Bogie, its great to see the old map and the new. New is definitely better!

The furnace you changed the colours of is MUCH nicer now. By the way that big brassy furnace is really really lovely.

The exact point that your stone floor texture cuts at the bottom (just past a seam) creates the illussion of a white line - you should bring the grass 5 pixels northwards or something.

The old and new maps are frighteningly similar! I love the way the challenge implies that we will be improving with age! I'm pretty sure I've got sloppier and more jaded and my maps are getting steadily worse.

Bogie
08-18-2013, 04:01 PM
Thanks Jack, I appreciate the nice comments and the rep. I know you've been busy, but looking forward to more of your maps.

I plan on blending the line between the grass & tiles when it is finished.

I am trying to keep the shop similar but not identical to the original, but I think the yard will have more of a change.

That dwarven forge is great, but I can only take credit for how I used it not for creating it. The original is actually twice as large.

arsheesh
08-19-2013, 04:50 PM
Already seeing several improvements. Looking forward to seeing the completed work.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Bogie
08-21-2013, 02:08 AM
A lot more finished on the building interior and the stuff around it. Have done a little landscaping but needs a lot more.

Constructive critique and ideas always welcome.

### Latest WIP ###

Jacktannery
08-21-2013, 06:24 AM
Is that a stone-lined keyhole-shaped kiln in a mound in the top-right? If so it is very archaeologically accurate - I love it!

Bogie
08-21-2013, 08:49 AM
Is that a stone-lined keyhole-shaped kiln in a mound in the top-right? If so it is very archaeologically accurate - I love it!

Um, ah, Uh, why yes, yes it is! I always include archaeologically accurate components to my maps.

Korash
08-21-2013, 10:24 AM
Bogie, this is great. :) I can see my dwarven smith spending more than a few days at a time here, coming up for air only for bodily functions. And to replenish body fluids with a keg of ale or two before heading back in...

My only crit is that I think the dwarven forge should be flipped so that the door opens towards the anvil. I for one would not want to have to move around that door with something so hot only to have it cool down enough so that I have to put it back in the forge. I makes better sense to me if all the Smith has to do is just turn from forge to anvil and have an apprentice close the door. It is all about Focus......

Maybe add a shoeing anvil and small fire pit near the opening so that he can work on that without bringing the horse all the way into the shop.

Bogie
08-21-2013, 09:27 PM
Thanks, glad your dwarf likes it! ;)

That is a good idea about the door, I never thought of that. And I can make the furnace on the right side look more like a forge than a barbeque grill. Add a small anvil and we have a horseshoeing station.

Bogie
08-23-2013, 12:40 AM
So, a lot more work on this last night ( stayed up way to late on a work night, just ask my wife ;) )

I think it is almost finished, I'm going to let it settle for a day or so and then do it again in a higher resolution. Let me know if you spot any mistakes or things I can improve.

### Latest WIP ###

Larb
08-23-2013, 10:37 AM
This has a lot more depth to it than your original which better brings it to life I think.

Bogie
08-23-2013, 10:43 PM
Thanks Larb! The shadows under the trees helps a lot with that.

Here is a larger version at 100 dpi, (the previous was 70 dpi )
They are similar but not identical as there is a lot of photoshop shading after DundJinni finished rendering the map and I did it a little differently each time.

### Latest WIP ###

anomiecoalition
08-24-2013, 12:55 AM
I really like it (particularly the way you did the stream in the top right). My only suggestion would be to add some wall shadow to the wall layer so that it falls on the objects where appropriate. I might also suggest making the shadows you have a little darker and more defined (but that just my personal preference for lots of shadows and contrasts in my building maps.)

awesome stuff

lostatsea
08-24-2013, 04:27 PM
Looking Really good and Much improved over the before map. And that is saying alot ! BUT there is no way I would go bath or fetch water from that stream with that Nasty monster there !!:twisted:

Bogie
08-25-2013, 12:50 AM
Thanks guys, glad you like it.:)

What's wrong with swimming with a 5 ft long blood sucking worm?

What do you think of the wagon ruts in the road? I did them by hand and I'm not sure if I like it better with or without them.

Jacktannery
08-25-2013, 02:30 AM
I like the wagon ruts.

Mark Oliva
08-25-2013, 06:43 AM
The whole things looks great. Without the wagon ruts? What an idea! Mud roads that wagons use have ruts. Without them, the road would look unrealistic. (I.e. see the previous version.) I like the technique you used with the ruts too. I'm definitely going to steal that method!

Bogie
08-25-2013, 10:09 AM
Thanks! Unfortunately my wagon rut making technique is a top secret family recipe protected by 9 separate patents,,,,,,;)

Actually, I just covered the road with hoofprints using this set of "Tracks" cover. Then I used the brush tool set at Black line, about 50 pixels wide, 50% hardness and 20% opacity. Then I just drew the ruts by hand.

57187 ( The tracks were made by Dragonwolf )

Mark Oliva
08-26-2013, 01:40 AM
Thanks! Unfortunately my wagon rut making technique is a top secret family recipe protected by 9 separate patents,,,,,,;)

Actually, I just covered the road with hoofprints using this set of "Tracks" cover. Then I used the brush tool set at Black line, about 50 pixels wide, 50% hardness and 20% opacity. Then I just drew the ruts by hand.

57187 ( The tracks were made by Dragonwolf )

I'll do my modified technique® in Fractal Mapper 8, which will be similar to but a bit different from yours. However, I think the result will be about the same. Your ruts gave me a good idea how I can make mine look a bit better than they have to date.

Korash
08-26-2013, 10:00 AM
yuppers ...I am liking this.

Another nitpick though would be that the wagon looks like it was parallel parked. I think that the path around the wagon park area would be more rounded as i would think that it would be easier for the wagoner to hitch the horses and then do a sharp turn with the wagon, than have to back them up. Esp. with that rock at the corner ;)

BTW, love the shoeing station ;)

Bogie
08-26-2013, 12:54 PM
yuppers ...I am liking this.

Another nitpick though would be that the wagon looks like it was parallel parked. I think that the path around the wagon park area would be more rounded as i would think that it would be easier for the wagoner to hitch the horses and then do a sharp turn with the wagon, than have to back them up. Esp. with that rock at the corner ;)

BTW, love the shoeing station ;)

Yeah, that shoeing station was a great Idea, thanks.

The wagon was bugging me, but I couldn't quite figure out what was wrong. I think I have a quick fix for that I can do tonight.

Bogie
08-27-2013, 01:07 AM
Following Korash's advice I made an area for the wagon to be turned around and on Anomiecoallition's advice I doubled up on the wall shadows.

I also included the original map in a side by side comparison so you don't have to go back to the 1st post to see it.
The difference in size of the 2 maps is because the original was rendered at a much smaller size / resolution, I don't have a larger version of it.
The original map is 19" wide at 72dpi the new map is 32" wide at 100dpi

I think I am finished.

### Latest WIP ###

lostatsea
08-28-2013, 05:29 PM
Looking real GOOD! Side by side What an Improvement !! Good Luck !

arsheesh
09-01-2013, 06:11 AM
Wow yeah, the second version definitely is a lot more polished than the first. Great work Bogie, I especially like the water.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Bogie
09-01-2013, 09:53 AM
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the help and nice comments.