PDA

View Full Version : PLANETS from Satellite photos

Scot Harvest
08-16-2013, 08:55 PM
I am currently making system/planet detail maps for my TRAVELLAR games (found as "Trevellar worlds in alternate format" )

And now I need a BUNCH of planets!

So Photo Shop to the rescue....

These planets take about 12 minuets to make each and will do nicely I think.

http://i40.tinypic.com/2ljrthz.jpg

Chashio
08-16-2013, 09:43 PM
What's your 12 minute process, if you don't mind me asking? I've never used PS like this before, but it looks cool.

Scot Harvest
08-17-2013, 02:10 AM
Photoshop users should be able to use these directions... heck you will probably IMPROVE on them.

1. Go on Google earth-map and find a good aerial shot that captures the flavor of the planet you want.

2. Hit "PRINT SCREEN" to capture the image

3 Open your PS and make a new project, it will automatically size the new project to the size of what is on your CUT/PASTE clipboard (you just captured an image in to it)

4. PASTE you captured image to the new project

5. Use the circle marque to cut out a planet shape and PASTE it back onto your project (you have just made a layer)

6. Delete the background image (leave it black so its easy to see your planet), and delete the layer of whats left after you cut out your planet

7. Click on the drop down menu for "filters" and use a "distort" filter called "spherize" at its max setting to make the flat image look 3d round (you might have to use it 2-3 times).

8. Go to the WINDOW tab and click "layers", click (far Right) on the new layer you just made (the other layer should be called background)

9. Clicking the new layer should bring up a drop menu, check/click the Drop shadow / Inner Shadow / outer glow boxes.

10. Close the menu and you will see the effects you just created listed under your new layer.

11.Click each new effect and fiddle with the settings

Drop shadow:will put a shadow on objects BEHIND your planet

Inner shadow:will put a shadow ON your planet making it night on one side

outer glow: will give your planet an atmosphere

Scot Harvest
08-17-2013, 02:13 AM
A nice NIGHT TIME satellite photo into a sphere.

Schwarzkreuz
08-17-2013, 02:55 AM
Very nice, i will try this out. Where did you find this nice City ?

Chashio
08-17-2013, 04:02 AM
Huh. Clever.

I might suggest you save the layer effects style so all you have to do is double click the layer in the layers panel to open the effects dialog, select the saved style, and make minor adjustments according to the general colors and lighting of each planet image. Of course, that would probably only save less time than it took to type that out so...

I'll definitely have to give this a go. Thanks for sharing the creation steps!

Scot Harvest
08-17-2013, 10:27 AM
I goggled satellite night images.

Very nice, i will try this out. Where did you find this nice City ?

Scot Harvest
09-06-2013, 09:37 PM
Huh. Clever.

I might suggest you save the layer effects style so all you have to do is double click the layer in the layers panel to open the effects dialog, select the saved style, and make minor adjustments according to the general colors and lighting of each planet image. Of course, that would probably only save less time than it took to type that out so...

I'll definitely have to give this a go. Thanks for sharing the creation steps!

Did this nice call!

Of course it means that each planet will have the exact same effects, but a little tweaking is all that needed.

Thanks nice to get good advice and technical help.

Scot Harvest
09-06-2013, 09:41 PM
A couple more for your consideration.

57512575135751457515575165751757518575195752057521 57522575235752457511

Scot Harvest
09-06-2013, 09:45 PM
and more...;)

57525575265752757528575295753057531575325753357534 5753557536575375753857539

bartmoss
09-07-2013, 03:19 PM
It's a funny idea but quite honestly none look like actual planets (a few are borderline OK, especially if you are going for a Star Warsy unrealistic game).

Scot Harvest
09-07-2013, 10:10 PM
It's a funny idea but quite honestly none look like actual planets (a few are borderline OK, especially if you are going for a Star Warsy unrealistic game).

It all depends on the look you are going for.

These are what I like and I intend to use them for my game.

If you like something more detailed and "realistic" I'm sure you could spend some time and make it so.

These take about 12 minuets each and I need some 250 to populate the sector... so this works :)

vorropohaiah
09-08-2013, 02:49 AM
cool idea, but i think the problem is inherent in the choice of base pictures - the scale is just off. you shouldnt be able to see the individual buildings on a planet, and if the planet is so small that you should be able to, there's no way it's going to be that perfectly spherical. as an example - the 9th planet in th last set can probably be walked around in an afternoon, given the scale of those paths!

bartmoss
09-08-2013, 05:01 AM
It all depends on the look you are going for.

These are what I like and I intend to use them for my game.

If you like something more detailed and "realistic" I'm sure you could spend some time and make it so.

These take about 12 minuets each and I need some 250 to populate the sector... so this works :)

Yeah, sure, of course you are absolutely free to do as you please, but you asked for feedback (or at least I understood it as a call for feedback) and these sphere are not planets.

tbh if a GM presented these as planets in a Traveller game to me, I'd have serious problems with suspension of disbelief.

Azelor
09-10-2013, 01:24 AM
I know there are a couple of tool to generate random planets. Automated or not, the best way but also the most complicated is by using different noise and cloud by difference options because it always gives random result (tough some may be bad). Using texture is not as good because it don't always scale well. So far I have not found anything really good that would make the process faster (some kind of generator with pretty good results) that don't rely on textures. I made a couple opf planets with photoshop but after 20 or so, they will all look the same.

You need some way to automate the process. Genesis 2 is a free action set on adobe website that generate planets. It's good to give ideas but rather limited.

Scot Harvest
09-15-2013, 02:44 AM
Yeah, sure, of course you are absolutely free to do as you please, but you asked for feedback (or at least I understood it as a call for feedback) and these sphere are not planets.

tbh if a GM presented these as planets in a Traveller game to me, I'd have serious problems with suspension of disbelief.

Agreed! The planets are only as good as the base picture and the populated / urban ones don't lend well to the scale necessary for a "believable" planet.

My idea was to show a simple way to make your own planet using photos that have the look you want.

With that being said..... find a background (Google maps can be scaled) and apply this TECHNIQUE to make your own thus satisfying your level of disbelief! lol

PS. critique and feedback always welcome.

Scot Harvest
09-15-2013, 02:47 AM
I know there are a couple of tool to generate random planets. Automated or not, the best way but also the most complicated is by using different noise and cloud by difference options because it always gives random result (tough some may be bad). Using texture is not as good because it don't always scale well. So far I have not found anything really good that would make the process faster (some kind of generator with pretty good results) that don't rely on textures. I made a couple opf planets with photoshop but after 20 or so, they will all look the same.

You need some way to automate the process. Genesis 2 is a free action set on adobe website that generate planets. It's good to give ideas but rather limited.

Another option thank you, but I was offering a quick PHOTOSHOP tut for people without having to load/find/purchase/learn a new program.