PDA

View Full Version : Map number 5 by Nian

Nian
08-28-2013, 06:31 AM
Hello. I finally finished my latest map. Here is a link to the WIP thread: http://www.cartographersguild.com/regional-world-mapping/24386-work-progress-i-need-your-help.html

I will probably change a small thing here and there but overall I am satisfied. I tried to incorporate many suggestions I got in WIP thread so I would like to thank everyone. Some things I couldn;t improve b/c I simply didn't know how.

Here it is. The land of the twelve souls. (I made a whole mythology of this world in my head and am tempted to write it somewhere =P)

Azelor
08-28-2013, 01:03 PM
That is a good piece of art even if the thread name is not appealing.

Lingon
08-28-2013, 01:40 PM
Hey, it works for perfume, why not for maps? ;)

Fantastic job on this, Nian. Very unique and evocative. Rep incoming!

Nian
08-28-2013, 01:57 PM
lol I'm not good at making up fantasy names so I end up giving my maps numbers. I'm trying to be systematic =P Only my earlier map had different title b/c I forgot I had this system XP
btw. Is here a place where I could write some lore about this map? Or do people usually put it in main post? =]

I'm happy you used Evocative to describe this map. Whenever I am making something like that I have images of places and atmosphere/feel of the regions so I always wanted to show that somehow and this is probably my best attempt at that. hopefully future ones will be better ^^

Korash
08-28-2013, 02:40 PM
Very nicely done Nian. :) Repping :D

I think your coastal treatment is really on the spot there. Nicely blends the land with the sea, but also letting the land stand out on its own merits. "Evocative" does describe this map quite well. ;)

Sapiento
08-28-2013, 03:39 PM
Great map! Fantastic style.

AntonioFrade
08-29-2013, 05:59 AM
I really like the map. I think it has capturep the orient style perfectly. Rep added.

Nian
08-29-2013, 07:51 AM
Thanks everyone. And thanks for the rep =P <3

Larb
08-29-2013, 08:29 AM
I really like this style - it makes me want to try something similar.

Sapiento
08-29-2013, 09:15 AM
I really like this style - it makes me want to try something similar.

I had thought the same.

Green-Pilgrim
08-29-2013, 11:43 AM
Those Clouds are AWESOM!

how'd ya do 'em?

-GP

Bogie
08-29-2013, 12:01 PM
Wonderful map, very unique style!

Nian
08-29-2013, 03:09 PM
I didn't do the clouds. They were too complicated and I found a picture on google. generally the clouds and villages/castles etc. weren't done by my although all of those were modified. in some cases I altered the shape here and there. The shape isn't hard to do, the swirls are annoying to reproduce in photoshop. I guess a different graphical program would be better for this.

btw. I am thinking about adding some kind of simple border but I'm not really sure if that is necessary. Still without a border everything feels unfinished to me. =P

aquarits
09-21-2013, 09:41 PM
It is Fabulous. Just saw that you finished, i was following your WIP and find the subscription email now!
damn, i lost all the progress in your work.

Sharpes
09-21-2013, 10:46 PM
Nice map! I really like the style you've used here. :) However, I'm not fond of the vertical direction of the writing for the clans in the bottom legend. On the map I don't mind it so much. You're probably pressed for space but...it would be neat to see those crests enlarged as well (did you do those yourself?).

Lightminder
09-22-2013, 12:32 AM
The sumi brushstrokes work like banners for the place names wonderfully, the clouds are spot on as a Hokusai inspired culturally appropriate motif, and the warm chroma choices really make the icy blue waterfalls stand as strong as the Shinto gates! Amazing work thank you for this eye feast!

Lightminder
09-22-2013, 12:39 AM
Look at hokusai's views of mt. Fuji series, the horizontal aspect of the images are all given the feel of a border by simply doing a colour roll at the top of the page in a narrow band. The bridge and the cranes are great examples of this way around a border, yet implying a line.