View Full Version : Old Style Risk Map

08-29-2013, 08:56 AM
So I was looking around the interwebs for an old school Risk map that I could print out and play on. Couldn't find one I liked so I made one myself. Check it out and let me know what you think:

09-05-2013, 10:33 AM
Impressive! I love the colors in it. Are you planning to use it only for Risk or for other things as well?

Skickat från min GT-I9100 med Tapatalk 4

Freehand 5.5
10-03-2013, 10:54 PM
Nice work.

Australia is written this way, isn't it?

The biggest flaw in risk is giving 2 points for Australia. 1 is way better for a balanced game.
The other possibility would be to keep the 2 points and link east of it with South America.
Just my two cents as a game designer.

10-04-2013, 02:40 PM
You mean spelt correctly? Yes, Australia is correct. Ukraine has an i in it.
I remember playing on a map that linked Eastern Australia with Argentina, but maybe that link was drawn in to fix the gameplay.
I don't think Australia having 2 armies is incorrect - South America gets 2 armies for 4 territories. The big jump is from 3 armies for 6 African territories to 5 for 7 European ones. Europe has an advantage here - it should be only 4 armies for 7 European territories. Compare it with North America which gives 5 armies for 9 territories. Or you could create a new European territory. Probably a Ukraine that borders Northen and Southern Eorope and the remainder of the old Ukraine change to Russia.

Gilles Filleau
10-10-2013, 03:23 PM
Hello. I like the aspect. I am trying to do a map of this aspect for a Ticket to ride map. I am using Inkscape. Could you give me some tips of how you did yours ? Cheers.

01-18-2014, 11:04 AM
It's a fantastic map, I'd like to get a hi res version to blow up for a giant risk board I am planning to make. Any chance you could send me the hi res version?

01-27-2014, 04:28 AM
I don't know much about inkscape, I used photoshop to make this map. here's a link to the PSD if you want to take a look:

Basically I took a generic risk map and overlaid it with the texture from some old paper and added text. All the pieces are in the link if you want to play around.

01-27-2014, 04:30 AM
Thanks! Here's the download link for the bigger file:

its 42 in @ 300dpi, so you should be good on the size. Also i fixed the spelling on it (whoops).

02-17-2014, 05:46 PM
You're an absolute star, I wasn't sure whether you were going to reply or not. I have downloaded the full version, I'll make it into a full size giant risk set then will upload some photos.
Thanks again, it's a beautiful map!

02-17-2014, 07:18 PM
Cool. Is that the number of armies per turned in card set along the top? I hate having to look that up every time, great idea to put it on the board. Plus you can use a marker to keep track.

06-26-2014, 06:50 AM
This design is very cool~

07-15-2014, 01:34 PM
Nice map, i am currently working on a map myself but i am not used to working with photoshop so it's going slow. However when it's finished i will be twice as happy. I have one question, did you make your borders with erasing the sides or is there a better way to make coastlines? I always get sharp edges which make it ugly :s