PDA

View Full Version : [Region 1][Map 25][Location 1] - Hammerfall

industrygothica
07-08-2008, 07:06 PM
Hammerfall isn't necessarily a town, but more a region within a region. There should be room for a few towns here, probably under one (assumed) leader (Ten Towns, anyone?).

By my calculations, this area should be about 20 miles from point to point. I'm going to put a small (as compared to the world map as a whole) lake in the center of it, and an inlet from the coast to allow for shipping.

This map will serve as an overland map for the Hammerfall region, and then we can zoom in even further for the individual town that make up the area.

I don't know if I'll keep this style or not. I think for it's purpose a top-down map would be best, but it'll take a bit for me to figure all that out. I might be working on this one for a while...

I'd love some feedback and ideas.

StillCypher
07-09-2008, 02:43 AM
Why does that look like a cartoon-style dinosaur sneaking up on someone to me? :D

Midgardsormr
07-09-2008, 09:18 PM
Ah.... I thought it was a bulemic dinosaur sticking its finger down its throat. I like your interpretation better.

But at least it's not another chicken!

industrygothica
07-09-2008, 10:14 PM
You guys are killing me...

industrygothica
07-10-2008, 01:57 AM
Maybe this one looks a bit less prehistoric...

The main city is the small peninsula in the lake. There will be several other farming towns and villages scattered around to make up the rest of the region.

jfrazierjr
07-10-2008, 07:52 AM
Maybe this one looks a bit less prehistoric...

The main city is the small peninsula in the lake. There will be several other farming towns and villages scattered around to make up the rest of the region.

heh... now I see a snaggle-tooth dinosaur.:P

Joe

StillCypher
07-12-2008, 02:52 AM
Oh, my... If you look at the large version, he's even wearing braces!

Sorry! Sorry! I, uh.... like the colors?

::FLEE!::

SeerBlue
07-13-2008, 08:24 PM
I see the potential for a small castle at each end of the entrance to the lake, on opposite sides, ala all those small Rhine river Burgs which used to charge taxes to transit as far as they could shoot an arrow from a bow or a cannonball ( from a cannon, of course) , of course then you fell within range of the next little burg and had to dole out some more coin.
Pay twice on the way in, pay twice on the way out, or risk running the channel at night.
SeerBlue

industrygothica
07-16-2008, 07:57 PM
This is the main city of the Hammerfall region. I need to add the docks, but I'm not quite sure how to attack that one.

C&C welcome, as always.

Airith
07-16-2008, 10:30 PM
This is the main city of the Hammerfall region. I need to add the docks, but I'm not quite sure how to attack that one.

C&C welcome, as always.

I really like the peninsula city there, only thing I'd say is that the buildings are all the same. What I mean is that, any special buildings or sites? Complex buildings? As a main city, maybe a keep and a shanty/new city outside the wall? Merely suggestions :) Lookin forward to the docks as well, gonna put them on the northeastern inlet? Oh, walls in the way :P

industrygothica
07-17-2008, 02:01 PM
Here's an update. Still procrastinating on the docks, but I think the rest is done for the most part.

ravells
07-17-2008, 02:39 PM
I think this is looking fab, IG! I really like the forest texture you've gone with and it all hangs together really well. the towers and outer wall may be a bit big, but it looks kind of right to me at that scale.

Redrobes
07-17-2008, 04:43 PM
Yes its extremely cool - looks just like it come from a Dragon Mag.

Midgardsormr
07-17-2008, 07:52 PM
Beautiful! There are a couple of places where it looks like the buildings are above the trees.

industrygothica
07-18-2008, 07:59 AM
Wow.. thanks for all that.

I think I've worked out the building-on-top-of-the-trees issue; that proved to be more difficult than it should have. Let me know if you see any that I've missed, I'm going a bit cross-eyed looking at it.

I also added a woodcut effect to the water. I think it adds some flavor.

torstan
07-21-2008, 06:01 AM
That looks great.

Redrobes
07-23-2008, 08:12 PM
Fabulous map...AND... its the first city thats been mapped that has a region and it was almost perfect scale too on both maps. Have some rep !

The second image is your map with a 500ft grid so you can put a scale on it before you get pulled in by the scale police !

industrygothica
07-24-2008, 07:05 AM
Thanks for that. I don't know how it'll look in your ViewingDale since all three maps are different styles, but I'm happy with them. I just need to come up with a name for the city and add a few more things, then add the label to the region and move on to the next city. I'm envisioning something of a collaborative unit between them all--I guess something similar to Ten Towns in the Forgotten Realms. Seems logical to me, anyway.

I was really a bit awestruck when I realized just how big a breadcrumb sized speck on the map really is. And to think, we've got the whole rest of the world yet to go.

Redrobes
07-24-2008, 08:37 AM
My app will take any style you give it. It might be better if I made a mask for the city map so that it fades out over the sea then the rest of the land would show through but things will progress no doubt anyway,

Yes, its amazing that a city can be about the size of a pixel. Its crazy really. We should have done about 100miles square each I think. Its all about travel really. If you want a party to spend several days on the road then each town must be about 30 miles between each so a map littered with nice places needs to be several hundred miles across.

Lookin good so far tho - keep it up.

su_liam
07-24-2008, 12:29 PM
Well since it does kind of look like a dinosaur with a bad tooth, you could call the city Snaggleburgh or Dentus or some such.

When I adapted Greyhawk to my Traveller game, I renamed the central body of water the Bullwinkle Sea(with Woolly Bay, Sea of Gearnat and Relmor Bay as the antlers, Jerlea Bay as a possible ear and Azure Sea as the head. I figured some not-altogether-reverent colonist or scout whose first view of the place was from orbit would see it that way. I figured that would stick even after the Fall.

Ascension
07-24-2008, 05:53 PM
I like Snaggleburgh, my fjord I'm working is Snagglefjord in homage to my old barbarian - Snagtooth. If you do take Snaggleburgh, lemme know so I can change my fjord graphics tonight.

industrygothica
11-07-2008, 02:37 PM
Here's an update of the Hammerfall regional map, and probably one of the final versions of the Middlelake map.

CC_JAR
11-17-2008, 02:14 PM
Wow, it looks awesome. but for some reason, it's already got my mind working up a story behind it, and I dont even RP much..

Torq
11-18-2008, 02:24 AM
I've always felt the city should be named Epiglottis.;) Great area by the way.

Torq

ravells
11-18-2008, 04:36 PM
It does look like one!!!

industrygothica
12-11-2008, 08:34 PM
Added Hammerfall (http://cwbp.cartographersguild.com/index.php?title=Hammerfall) to the wiki. Wouldn't mind some opinions or suggestions as far as regional details go.

IngIngsvar
02-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Very nice maps. I especially like Middlelake

industrygothica
02-06-2009, 06:31 PM
Very nice maps. I especially like Middlelake

Thanks.. they could use a bit of updating, actually. I think I'm getting ready to bring the area into a pbp campaign I'm running, so hopefully the area will get a little more developed because of it.

-IG

IngIngsvar
02-06-2009, 07:08 PM
I think also if you expanded on the Hammerfall Region Map itself would be great.

I especially liked how u had had a smaller map of the city in the regional map.

And don't forget forests, lakes, rivers, mountains, etc.

industrygothica
02-06-2009, 07:38 PM
I think also if you expanded on the Hammerfall Region Map itself would be great.

I especially liked how u had had a smaller map of the city in the regional map.

And don't forget forests, lakes, rivers, mountains, etc.

That's the nature of the Cooperative World Building Project (or CWBP, for short); areas within areas.

The Hammerfall region map was really never intended to be anything spectacular--only a reference for the towns and villages within the region. It most certainly could be expanded upon and tweaked, but it's not high on the priority list at the moment. Right now I've got several other cities in the Witchlight Strand that need to be mapped, and at least one more region with a few towns inside of it as well. Plenty enough to keep me busy.

I might get back to this one eventually... unless someone else beats me to it.

-IG