PDA

View Full Version : Earen - A Work In Progress

megrim
07-09-2008, 03:26 AM
This is a map i am currently working on for two things:
A) Online campaign using D&D 4th edition
B) Second story i am about to write. (Earen is the namy of the world)

About the map:
The map was done entirely in photoshop and used a few tricks like you have seen in the first map i posted regarding a campaign setting with a Forgotten Realmish feel, later on today i will post a small guide on how i did all the forests in my map by simply using a small patch of texture and blurring and highlighting the borders. Any further questions might be answered when i get a break from work and my studies. This is a work in progress, any suggestions will be gladly taken!

About the world:
The world of Earen is still young, the elves reign supreme above all other races, humans empires are raising and thus the world has still its verdant splendor, but for how long? I have not placed the cities yet but most of them will be heavily influenced by elven names, other ancient races include the dragonborn and the tieflings who migrated from other worlds.

torstan
07-09-2008, 03:45 AM
That's one of the nicest hand drawn maps I've seen on this site. I assume most of it is hand drawn rather than done with custom brushes?

A couple of minor niggles - the chasm to the SE looks like it should flood with water. Also, I'm not crazy about the sea texture but the land is spot on.

Good work!

Sirith
07-09-2008, 06:02 AM
This is a very awesome map. I agree with torstan on the water texture, I'd prefer it a bit more 'watery'. But the mountains and other details on the land are brilliant, there is a lot to see and imagine. I'd love to see where you take this :)

ravells
07-09-2008, 06:27 AM
The mountains are stunning. I'd agree with Torstan about the slight mismatch of texture you've used for the sea, but it still looks pretty beautiful.

Redrobes
07-09-2008, 06:30 AM
Yes its very nice indeed. Looking forward to seeing more.

jfrazierjr
07-09-2008, 08:08 AM
Ditto what the others said. The humongous mountain in the west looks really nice, especially with lower peaks blended in. As other stated, the water texture looks a bit off and is distracting to my eyes. The only other thing you might want to play with is to see if you can get a taper on your river. It looks like it starts wholly formed at the foot of the mountains. The cliffs and gorges all look great.

Joe

Ishmayl
07-09-2008, 12:58 PM
Man, I'll just go ahead and "ditto" what everyone else has said, and also, any chance you could do a tutorial on your style?

megrim
07-09-2008, 01:14 PM
That's one of the nicest hand drawn maps I've seen on this site. I assume most of it is hand drawn rather than done with custom brushes?

A couple of minor niggles - the chasm to the SE looks like it should flood with water. Also, I'm not crazy about the sea texture but the land is spot on.

Good work!

It was all done in photoshop nothing was hand drawn, but thanks for the compliments and i agree with you and the water, if anyone has any suggestions for the water texture please let me know.

Ditto what the others said. The humongous mountain in the west looks really nice, especially with lower peaks blended in. As other stated, the water texture looks a bit off and is distracting to my eyes. The only other thing you might want to play with is to see if you can get a taper on your river. It looks like it starts wholly formed at the foot of the mountains. The cliffs and gorges all look great.

Joe
i must confess that the big mountain was formed using other bits of mountains, actually msot of the mountain ranges was done with little pieces, i will explain how i do it below. Also, i agree with the river ill have to work on that as well.

töff
07-09-2008, 01:18 PM
DROOL!

I like the water texture, myself ... it looks like marble instead of water, but I like it. You might want to make it look a little less smooth, though, maybe a photoshop "render lighting" or something to bring the variations up as a texture. Maybe you should apply some perspective, also, so the top of the texture is scaled down compared to the bottom, you know, to make it slant like the rest of the map.

But I definitely think you need some kind of shading at the coasts. The land/water transition is too harsh.

That's really beautiful work, man. Cheers in keeping it monochromish, too. I like subdued palettes.

So you write, too? Where do you publish?

töff
07-09-2008, 01:20 PM
It was all done in photoshop nothing was hand drawnHey, one can hand-draw in photoshop in the same way one can hand-draw with paper and pencil! (Sometimes better, in fact ... Eraser ≠ Undo!)

megrim
07-09-2008, 01:54 PM
here we go

TREES:
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z35/circu_2007/cartography/treetext.jpg
With this small piece all i did was mesh together alot of them, after i took the eraser to shape my forests after i was done i outlined them with a brush of 2 px, then on layer options i set it to luminosity, duplicated the layer, then set the layer to color with a fill 36%

MOUNTAINS:
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z35/circu_2007/cartography/hills.png http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z35/circu_2007/cartography/mountains.png

This is just an example of the mountains before being blended in, some retouched, some not, i know this is harder then actually making your own set of mountains from scratch but what can i say, its like making a puzzle, all u need to do is re size some of them and you have your mountain ranges.

SNOWY TERRAIN:
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z35/circu_2007/cartography/snowy.jpg

I used this texture for the snowy terrain of the north and on top of it all a layer with a fill of 13%, then i used a brush with white to give it the snow effect.

THE LAYOUT:
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z35/circu_2007/cartography/template.jpg

I made a layer, filled it with white i gave it a stroke of 2 px and used the polygonal lasso tool to cut out the world then with the eraser tool i rounded down some corners and smooth the border of the terrain.

to Toff: Will work on the shades of the coast, i write as a hobby, i pass it around to some friends who i know might enjoy it.

to everyone else: Thank you so much for the feedback i will put it to good use.

SeerBlue
07-09-2008, 02:13 PM
truly a stunning map, can't wait to see the finished version, beautiful work.

SeerBlue

Karro
07-09-2008, 03:54 PM
Yeah, what they said... really great looking! Others have already offered critiques, and I have nothing more to add. It looks so much like a real drawing done by an ancient, skilled artist (well... I guess it is a real work of art done by a skilled artist... but you get what I mean) that I thought when I saw the river "why would he draw it that way?" then I realized it was probably because of the way it was done in photoshop instead of by hand...

Keep us posted as you do more :)

megrim
07-09-2008, 10:50 PM
my biggest concern right now is the water... i wont move forward until i get a water texture i like and that blends in with ease, any suggestions on the water will be gratefully appreciated!

Midgardsormr
07-09-2008, 10:55 PM
I actually like the water. The only thing I'd do is darken it a bit so that the land is emphasized by the contrast.

megrim
07-09-2008, 11:25 PM
Ok so i took in some suggestions and modified the map, tried to fixed the river a bit, made water flow into the rift and some other stuff, lets see what feedback i got for this one

torstan
07-10-2008, 03:04 AM
Very lovely indeed. The sea looks great. It might be nice to break up that huge forest to the SW with something - even just a little more variation in light/shade. Also, I was wondering why some mountin/forest transitions have a stroked line along them and others don't.

Beautiful map! I particularly like the water going into the ravine - nicely done.

Ishmayl
07-10-2008, 03:08 PM
Good lord, I just want to create a new campaign setting, using your map, so I have a reason to look at this map every day!

ravells
07-10-2008, 06:09 PM
Magnificent! It looks ten times better with the new sea.

megrim
07-10-2008, 10:12 PM
Very lovely indeed. The sea looks great. It might be nice to break up that huge forest to the SW with something - even just a little more variation in light/shade. Also, I was wondering why some mountin/forest transitions have a stroked line along them and others don't.

Beautiful map! I particularly like the water going into the ravine - nicely done.
Thank you, i will see what i can do with the forest.

Good lord, I just want to create a new campaign setting, using your map, so I have a reason to look at this map every day!
Go ahead, i didnt post it just to get feedback, anyone is free to use it for personal reasons including campaign settings for their game :D

Magnificent! It looks ten times better with the new sea.
Why thank you, hopefully I'll improve on it even more!

megrim
07-11-2008, 01:31 AM
Updated version, i started to populate the map with some towns and old tower/keep on top of the plateau

megrim
07-13-2008, 03:01 AM
once again another update, this time the map has gone interactive, right now only one town works, search for it with your mouse the name will display when u roll over, then click on it to see some info about the town, this is for my players and i want to show it to you guys before they see it let me know what you think.

Link: http://requiems.110mb.com/earenmap.htm

Ghalev
07-13-2008, 05:17 AM
I think it's six flavors of awesome and four shades of badass.

torstan
07-13-2008, 07:49 AM
That is very cool. I have a couple of suggestions though. Firstly, when you mouse over the name comes up. This is great. However it should fade away when you move your mouse away again. As it is, the name stays up.

Also, I'm not sure a standard Times New Roman(-esque) quite fits with the beautiful hand-drawn style of the map.

I think your towns need to be made a bit more obvious. At that scale they are hard to distinguish and can easily be missed. I'd suggest a couple of clear angular highlights. The angles would stand out agains the softer lines of the map, and the highlights would bring them out from the tonal range of the other regions. The tower stands out nicely for this region. The tonal range is very different from the areas around. The towns to the south of the tower are hard to find because their tones are almost identical to those in the mountain range - particularly the one at the end of the mountain range to the SW.

I think the interactive nature of the map is awesome. It's something I've always thought was a great idea for a map, and this one does it brilliantly. Any chance of a tute on setting up the javascript behind this? Please?

Ascension
07-13-2008, 11:35 AM
I'd use some ISO towns, to make them more visible, and fix the rollover but otherwise it's dark and crunchy, I love dark n crunchy. That frame on the popup totally smokes. Very nice indeed.

Steel General
07-13-2008, 11:47 AM
This is awesome!!!

But I also agree with some of the otehr comments. The towns are difficult to see, something needs done with them to make them a bit more 'obvious'.

SeerBlue
07-13-2008, 01:42 PM
I agree, that is awesome, well done. very well done.
SeerBlue

megrim
07-13-2008, 02:07 PM
well i took in some of the suggestions and worked with that, as for a tutorial everything was done in flash (the animations) using a program called swishmax if u wish to know more i might be able to put together a tutorial for that but it is simple, its just a matter of showing hiding frames.

http://requiems.110mb.com/earenmap.htm

if for some it still shows the same map just hit refresh until your pc eliminates the cached file.

Ghalev
07-13-2008, 02:12 PM
That is very cool. I have a couple of suggestions though. Firstly, when you mouse over the name comes up. [...]

D'oh. I never saw any of that; just the (lovely) base map. I guess I should loosen up my Java/Flash/ActiveWhateverStuff permissions ...

Ascension
07-13-2008, 03:21 PM
Man that kicks sooo much booty. I've only done 2 programming things, I made my own dice rollers in Basic back in the 80s and a website for my business 10 years ago so any tutorial would be lost on a dunce like me, but the smart folks here, I'm sure they'd love it. Guess I need to find where I put my Dreamweaver stuff and learn how to use it. Gotta go find a napkin now or change my shirt as I've drooled all over it.

Karro
07-13-2008, 11:10 PM
Simply sweet! I love the interactivity. The font as used now (no longer times-new-romany, I missed that interation) looks pretty good.

torstan
07-14-2008, 08:57 AM
Ah, much better. Like it a lot. No worries about the flash tute. Now that I know the tool, I may well go off and have a play with the trial version.

megrim
07-15-2008, 05:20 AM
Ok here is the village of sulindal, i will add this map to the interactive world map (but i will do this later on very sleepy right now). It is my first time doing a map of a town, let me know what you guys think and i hope my updates are not coming up too fast.

Ghalev
07-15-2008, 06:27 AM
Ok here is the village of sulindal, i will add this map to the interactive world map (but i will do this later on very sleepy right now). It is my first time doing a map of a town, let me know what you guys think and i hope my updates are not coming up too fast.

I find the more-obviously-digital nature of the rooftops (and scale-bar and title) to clash a little with the other, naturalistic elements, but that's a point of taste I could echo to redundancy and it may be safely ignored on the grounds that I'm an old coot.

The overall look is lovely, though. The autumnal gold makes it feel a bit sad, but in a dreamy-fantasy way.

And your updates can never come too fast around here; the maps can never arrive fast enough to feed the Map Hunger! :)

megrim
07-15-2008, 12:24 PM
I find the more-obviously-digital nature of the rooftops (and scale-bar and title) to clash a little with the other, naturalistic elements, but that's a point of taste I could echo to redundancy and it may be safely ignored on the grounds that I'm an old coot.

The overall look is lovely, though. The autumnal gold makes it feel a bit sad, but in a dreamy-fantasy way.

And your updates can never come too fast around here; the maps can never arrive fast enough to feed the Map Hunger! :)
I tried to blend the buildings more with the map itself but that's as far as i got at 5 am, i will try to figure something out now, any suggestions will be gladly taken.

megrim
07-16-2008, 12:19 AM
ok update for the interactive map, follow the link below, click on sulindal then click on the image of the town that appears with all the info, you will get the map of the town, click the area inside the map once and get all the info of the main locations, click it again and it will disappear allowing you to view the map without any text.

http://requiems.110mb.com/earenmap.htm

P.S As i add stuff the map will get bigger and it will take longer to load, i intend this as an interactive map for my players to always have in their pcs not to host it on a website (i put it up so you guys can enjoy it will i work on it).

Karro
07-16-2008, 12:27 AM
Yep. Still tres cool.

(also... I have no useful critiques... though I did wonder what significance such small villages had... but then I saw the map scale is pretty small, so in a small region, they might be more significant)

su_liam
07-16-2008, 12:43 AM
Those small villages are where your seven paladin characters can make a last stand for honor.

megrim
07-16-2008, 01:17 AM
a bit of history for the town:

As u can see in the map Sulindal is the town between the upper kingdoms and the united nations of the south, during the times of war between them, sulindal was an important post for the military (hence the old guard towers and the military post) but after the war, peace reigned in the south, rumors spread that the king from the Upper kingdom was missing and thus until this day the north has no king. After the war the mining town was giving back to the clan of dwarf miners who settled there.

The town slowly started to decline as well as kanna and rosbur, and the last descendant of the mining dwarf clan Kremli Stonehammer, sold the town to a group of adventurers under the condition that he would still keep the mines. Kremli saw how the town died out and in a desperate attempt to raise it from its ruins (and to put a few gold pieces in his pocket) he decided to sale the town as stated above.

The adventurers (1 female tiefling, two male humans) took over the temple of moradin and made it their residence (with a few modifications), they established the Sulindal Council (consisting on themselves) and raised a tavern at the south entrance of the town. They also built sort of a museum where they periodically display wondrous items they have found in their adventures, mostly shiny useless magic items (to them that is), however that draws many adventurers and potential thieves to the town, something that the adventurers are aware of and planned for in the hopes to loot those who dare steal something. So as small as Sulindal is, its the gateway between two kingdoms and a haven for adventurers.

torstan
07-16-2008, 05:46 AM
Very nice indeed. Like it a lot.

megrim
07-24-2008, 01:44 AM
here is some concept art for the forest near sulindal, fey forest.
for my story i renamed the towns however, while in my online campaign that i am running, fey forest is well a forest fond of fey creatures, specially fairies.
in my story, its a forest where it is said that fairies appeared, parallel universes or perhaps the same world different times...?

Steel General
07-24-2008, 08:02 AM
A bit hard to see, but it kinda reminds me of a scene from "Wizards" :)

Ascension
07-24-2008, 05:57 PM
I'd like to see that colored up John Howe style, mad skills and props.

megrim
01-06-2009, 01:54 AM
sorry that i stopped updating but i lost my HD along with all its data. Thank you for understanding

Gandwarf
01-06-2009, 06:17 AM
Ouch, so you lost all your maps?

Steel General
01-06-2009, 06:47 AM
Ooooh...that stinks! :(

Note to self: Backup map files

megrim
01-06-2009, 09:07 AM
yes everything... but hey they say destruction is a form of creation so lets see what i will make out of all this chaos =)

Asharad
01-06-2009, 09:20 AM
Oh no! I was enjoying this so much! Good luck!

jfrazierjr
01-09-2009, 06:30 PM
Sorry for the threadcomancy, but you should post this up over in the Finished Maps forum with your History since it's a beautiful work of art!

The-Somberlain
01-10-2009, 07:37 AM
One of the best maps that I have seen...Artistic, solid, well-done! Thanks for sharing!

Wag
01-29-2009, 02:24 PM
I felt like your thread deserved a "bump" but I also wanted to interject on just how impressive this map truly is. The artistry is fantastic and I am envious of your skill.

A couple, errr, requests? With the unfortunate incident of your loss, perhaps (under the assumption that you will resume work on a new map of the same style) you would enjoy going into more detail on the creation process. Specifically, your mountains which I personally find to be some of the best I've seen.

In my maps I've generally made single brushes that I could then "paint" into the locations i feel necessary, but you are using more of a cut and paste method it seems. I understand that process, but the small sections of mountains that you have created still intrigue me. Were they drawn completely with a mouse in Photoshop? How did you color them?

Also, a comment about your forests. In Photoshop there is an "Offset" filter that will allow you to create seamless textures. Was this employed or did you really tile and match everything yourself? I would imagine that using the "offset" filter to create a seamless texture would be a big time saver in the future.

At any rate, you do truly fantastic work. As I said before, I am envious of your skill. I am also truly sorry for your loss. I've experienced data loss in the past and it can be heartbreaking.

Keep up the good work

Wag

jfrazierjr
01-29-2009, 03:15 PM
A couple, errr, requests? With the unfortunate incident of your loss, perhaps (under the assumption that you will resume work on a new map of the same style) you would enjoy going into more detail on the creation process. Specifically, your mountains which I personally find to be some of the best I've seen.

In my maps I've generally made single brushes that I could then "paint" into the locations i feel necessary, but you are using more of a cut and paste method it seems. I understand that process, but the small sections of mountains that you have created still intrigue me. Were they drawn completely with a mouse in Photoshop? How did you color them?

Wag, i rather like your mountains from what I have seen and of course, I can't really comment on how Megrim did his, but from the look of it, I suspect he may have done something close to what I did in my ISO mountains tutorial. Though it was written from GIMP, the techniques are universal enough that you might want to take a look and start experimenting. The link is in my sig if you want to check it out.

Wag
01-30-2009, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the heads up on the ISO mountains tutorial jfrazierjr. It actually gives me a few adaptation ideas for doing something similar in Photoshop. In some ways its not as versatile at the brushes I've already created, and in other ways its more versatile. It's just such a radically different style that is aesthetically very pleasing to me. Granted the rest of this map is fantastic as well. I am truly amazed at just how hand drawn it looks.

Thanks!

Wag

jfrazierjr
01-30-2009, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the heads up on the ISO mountains tutorial jfrazierjr. It actually gives me a few adaptation ideas for doing something similar in Photoshop. In some ways its not as versatile at the brushes I've already created, and in other ways its more versatile. It's just such a radically different style that is aesthetically very pleasing to me. Granted the rest of this map is fantastic as well. I am truly amazed at just how hand drawn it looks.

Thanks!

Wag

Yes, thats the one thing against doing it "my" way is that it is terribly time consuming. However, I think the fact that every single mountain is unique makes it well worth it if you have the time. I am also working on a set of ISO mountain symbols/gimp brushes and if I can ever get them finished, you could always lay some down in a random pattern and then use the smudge tool to blend them into the underlying terrain as needed. Of course, you could make your own brushes in the same manner as kind of a "jump start". It won't look as good as doing each individually, but you can still get some very nice results using brushes if you will also take the time to "finish" up the process after laying the brushes down onto the canvas and smudge them into the underlying terrain.

In case you have not seen it, here is a WIP where I hand drew and smudged each mountain/hill: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3653

Wag
01-30-2009, 12:18 PM
Every Day I'm amazed at the new things I find on this site. I had not ventured into that thread before, but I am certainly impressed with the style of these maps. One of the maps I plan on doing in the not too distant future is a smaller island map and will likely try this more "hand drawn" approach as I will have a small quantity of individual mountains to do.

That’s the thing about making things look good though. They are terribly time consuming methods. One always thinks of the creation process as so glamorous, but in reality it's just about the time it takes which is often times substantial.

Absolutely fantastic. Thanks

megrim
05-18-2009, 07:51 PM
BLAST FROM THE PAST! i managed to get some of the original files from my old hard drive. sooooooooooooo i will continue with this map as my story progresses, the updates will be SLOW. No interactive map since the files i was using are lost. Anyways, this is not map related but its related to the story i was originally writing for it, this is Aiden, the name of the main character, i did him in adobe illustrator :o

megrim
05-25-2009, 09:16 PM
here we go added Aberwyn and the castletown of Galeah

PixelFish
05-26-2009, 02:57 AM
I particularly like the illustrative effect of the chasms and cliffs and ridges. The colour choices are nice too--very cohesive and giving off a slightly aged feel.

Are you planning on keeping the compass rose there or perchance is it a temporary watermark? It's nice looking but distracting at its current size and location.

Really nice work so far.

PS. How did you do the borders?

megrim
05-26-2009, 03:15 AM
I particularly like the illustrative effect of the chasms and cliffs and ridges. The colour choices are nice too--very cohesive and giving off a slightly aged feel.

Are you planning on keeping the compass rose there or perchance is it a temporary watermark? It's nice looking but distracting at its current size and location.

Really nice work so far.

PS. How did you do the borders?
its a temporary watermark. About the borders i honestly don't remember but i will look into it to see if i remember ho i made it.

Ramah
05-26-2009, 06:47 AM
Wow, this is looking very beautiful indeed. I love the desert and rocky regions.
The only thing that I'm not too fond of are the icons you seem to be using for cities etc. which look too computer generated compared to the rest of the map.

Great work. :)

megrim
05-26-2009, 12:22 PM
Wow, this is looking very beautiful indeed. I love the desert and rocky regions.
The only thing that I'm not too fond of are the icons you seem to be using for cities etc. which look too computer generated compared to the rest of the map.

Great work. :)

Any suggestions for the symbols?

Ramah
05-26-2009, 01:21 PM
Umm, personally I would say that maybe the symbols are ok, or something similar (they are a bit small to see) but I would lose the colour on them and go for a brown, or sepia tone outline, so they kinda fit in with the very artistic hand-drawn look.

But I dunno, that's just me of course.

Is it possible to post a higher res version so we can see it closer? I'd love to get a detailed look at your artwork. :)

Ascension
05-26-2009, 04:28 PM
Glad your back to finish this, the artistic quality is very high. I'd lose the CC3 icons (for the cities) and draw something up...you could use the icons as a starting point and draw something over top of them. At any rate, this is one fine lookin map and I wish I had it in me to do likewise...excellent stuff.

torstan
05-26-2009, 06:05 PM
Great to see this thread again. I'd agree with the symbols - they don't fit with the style of the map. I'd suggest drawing in a new city symbol yourself using your own colour palette from the map. I'd also give them a shadow to integrate them into the image.

It sucks to have lost the interactive version as that was just lovely. Certainly looking forward to seeing this finished (however long that will take :) )

megrim
05-27-2009, 12:52 AM
Umm, personally I would say that maybe the symbols are ok, or something similar (they are a bit small to see) but I would lose the colour on them and go for a brown, or sepia tone outline, so they kinda fit in with the very artistic hand-drawn look.

But I dunno, that's just me of course.

Is it possible to post a higher res version so we can see it closer? I'd love to get a detailed look at your artwork. :)

http://www.cartographersguild.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5133&d=1215754274
hows that? as for the symbols they are from cc3

Glad your back to finish this, the artistic quality is very high. I'd lose the CC3 icons (for the cities) and draw something up...you could use the icons as a starting point and draw something over top of them. At any rate, this is one fine lookin map and I wish I had it in me to do likewise...excellent stuff.

thanks! i tried doign that but nothing worth showing came up so i quickly discarded it

Great to see this thread again. I'd agree with the symbols - they don't fit with the style of the map. I'd suggest drawing in a new city symbol yourself using your own colour palette from the map. I'd also give them a shadow to integrate them into the image.

It sucks to have lost the interactive version as that was just lovely. Certainly looking forward to seeing this finished (however long that will take :) )
only if time would allow, with writing the story, uni, work i barely have time but i will give it a try if not... if anyone could pinpoint me to a good set of symbols or anyone willing to contribute a set for my map i would greatly appreciate it.

megrim
06-16-2009, 12:33 AM
i cooked something up, let me know what yo think of the new style for the towns and cities. let me know what you think

Steel General
06-16-2009, 06:55 AM
They seem nice, but its such a small image that it is difficult to tell.

megrim
06-17-2009, 01:15 AM
They seem nice, but its such a small image that it is difficult to tell.

i want to keep it small almost to make it blend in with the map but i changed a few things to make sure that eve though it is small it kind of out stands in the map without loosing the hand drawn feeling.

Ramah
06-17-2009, 05:20 AM
He means that the map you are posting is so small it is hard to see. Is there any way to post a larger version of the map so we can see it better? I really like this map and would love to be able to see more details on it.

Karro
06-17-2009, 09:34 AM
I've gotta agree. It's a great looking map, and the new symbols look pretty good and seem to fit with the over all style, but the size screams for a larger resolution!

If one isn't available, eh, oh well, it's still good looking.

megrim
06-17-2009, 10:52 PM
unfortunately there isn't, when i started the map the size seemed ideal, small enough to hide any inperfections and big enough to allow it appreciate a certain degree of detail... i guess i was wrong, but i will keep this in mind for future maps, ill keep posting as i advance with the map and the story for my book.

megrim
06-18-2009, 10:33 AM
ok guys last night iwas sleepless so i decided to expand earen, as i was writing i noticed that the map is short and it lack fantastic places, since i am basing things from many cultures (greek- (special interest in the maenads who will be female "warriors" who channel the energy of spirits (called sylphs in most of earen) of chaos, that estimulates beyond belief their basic instincts and their lust for violance among other things ;). Scandinavian and all those Nordic tales about fairies and elves and so on...

anyways here is a draft of the expansion.... any suggestions?

Ascension
06-18-2009, 09:25 PM
I only have one suggestion...git crackin! :) This looks like it could be epic and would surely earn you a nice shiny "Cartographer's Choice" badge. With all of that epicness the cities are gonna have to be larger, though, so that they don't get lost. Don't worry if they don't fit the overall scale of the map, mine never do and most never do. A big ole city lookin thing is there to tell people that there is a city somewhere around there, not its actual size according to the rest of the terrain. Good luck man.

megrim
06-18-2009, 11:46 PM
I only have one suggestion...git crackin! :) This looks like it could be epic and would surely earn you a nice shiny "Cartographer's Choice" badge. With all of that epicness the cities are gonna have to be larger, though, so that they don't get lost. Don't worry if they don't fit the overall scale of the map, mine never do and most never do. A big ole city lookin thing is there to tell people that there is a city somewhere around there, not its actual size according to the rest of the terrain. Good luck man.

hows the ones on the top? if that doesn't work ill go with a warcraft (http://img.brothersoft.com/screenshots/softimage/w/warcraft_3_map_-_world_of_dofus-229685-1239260425.jpeg) feel if that doesn't work ill just put dots.

Ascension
06-19-2009, 12:05 AM
Well if you want to go that warcraft way then I'd say that it's a pretty popular way to go for a parchment map. The two buildings that are above the words "Old Keep" are perfect so I'd stay with that painterly style. The round keep with turret just under said text is just a tad small...just a tad. The cities are just too small to make out any detail as to what they are.

megrim
06-20-2009, 01:59 AM
Well if you want to go that warcraft way then I'd say that it's a pretty popular way to go for a parchment map. The two buildings that are above the words "Old Keep" are perfect so I'd stay with that painterly style. The round keep with turret just under said text is just a tad small...just a tad. The cities are just too small to make out any detail as to what they are.

updated version... the forest has been extended... in Galeah (the central kingdom of my story) they call it the endless forest since no one has ever made it back once the enter. Only record of people ever coming back to the north was once and it was a caravan over 40 years ago.

Steel General
06-20-2009, 08:47 AM
Coming along nicely...

Alecthar
06-20-2009, 05:25 PM
I assume it's the texture you're using as the parchment base, but whatever texture it is that's on most of the empty landmass space is tiling pretty poorly. You can see the seams, particularly on the bottom edge of each tiled piece. It's less obvious where land features cover it up, but there are still a few spots where you can see it.

I hope that doesn't seem nitpicky, it's just one of things I tend to see, because I've had similar problems in the past (and no doubt will continue to have them in the future).

megrim
06-23-2009, 12:29 PM
I assume it's the texture you're using as the parchment base, but whatever texture it is that's on most of the empty landmass space is tiling pretty poorly. You can see the seams, particularly on the bottom edge of each tiled piece. It's less obvious where land features cover it up, but there are still a few spots where you can see it.

I hope that doesn't seem nitpicky, it's just one of things I tend to see, because I've had similar problems in the past (and no doubt will continue to have them in the future).

every time you nitpick god kills a cartographer, i see your point but i like some things faulty :P

updated version i am not sure about the shape of the mountains at the bottom of the endless forest...

megrim
06-26-2009, 01:53 AM
any input on the last update for some reason i am starting to like less and less the bottom part... any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

philipstephen
06-26-2009, 11:48 AM
this is a great map... one of the best hand painted looking maps on the site.

I think the mountains in the south look great, as does the forest texture in the bottom area.

the only thing i could think of to improve it in my mind is to add a bit of variety to the shape of the border of the forest.

I am picturing civilizations developing in that area and cutting swaths through the forest... clearing land for farms and building forts and ships and the like...

maybe forming a road to Galeah in the north with several settlements between it...

and perhaps a few natural clearings and larger openings in the forest canopy, with a lake or two in them?

That sense of variety of landscape might jazz the southern portion of the map up a bit.

but the colours and textures of your features are brilliant!

phil

megrim
06-29-2009, 03:07 AM
this is a great map... one of the best hand painted looking maps on the site.

I think the mountains in the south look great, as does the forest texture in the bottom area.

the only thing i could think of to improve it in my mind is to add a bit of variety to the shape of the border of the forest.

I am picturing civilizations developing in that area and cutting swaths through the forest... clearing land for farms and building forts and ships and the like...

maybe forming a road to Galeah in the north with several settlements between it...

and perhaps a few natural clearings and larger openings in the forest canopy, with a lake or two in them?

That sense of variety of landscape might jazz the southern portion of the map up a bit.

but the colours and textures of your features are brilliant!

phil

i took some of your suggestions and applied them to the map... here is an updated version:

philipstephen
06-29-2009, 03:15 AM
Looks great!

Now maybe a winding river or two that flow from those southern and eastern mountains to connect with those lakes and eventually wind towards the sea.

I think that would jazz up the south a bit more.

Phil

megrim
07-02-2009, 02:09 AM
Looks great!

Now maybe a winding river or two that flow from those southern and eastern mountains to connect with those lakes and eventually wind towards the sea.

I think that would jazz up the south a bit more.

Phil

Like This?

Karro
07-02-2009, 09:00 AM
Except for one little problem: you've got multiple rivers coming out of the lake, and splitting downstream as they go to the ocean. This is a pretty irregular and typically unnatural occurence, outside of a few specific instances (like river deltas).

megrim
07-02-2009, 11:17 AM
Except for one little problem: you've got multiple rivers coming out of the lake, and splitting downstream as they go to the ocean. This is a pretty irregular and typically unnatural occurence, outside of a few specific instances (like river deltas).

what would be a natural course of rivers based on my map then, i rarely draw rivers and you can see why

Karro
07-02-2009, 11:50 AM
Well, in the south you have some rivers coming from the mountains and collecting into the large lake. That's pretty good, there. Exiting the lake, however, you'd usually only have one river, connecting to the sea. You have two, so I would just pick one - whichever was the more important. (If neither seems important, pick randomly.) Then, both of those rivers split. It's hard to tell what the scale of this is but rivers tend not to split before rejoining the main channel in a relatively short distance. (Water likes to take the quickest and easiest path downhill.) So, I'd probably pick only of the branches coming off those rivers to keep as well.

In the north you've got some things going on as well. You've got headwaters in the mountains, but it splits relatively quickly, and then many times. Rather, you'd more likely have several headwaters forming small rivers at the mountains that come together as they flow toward the sea. Then you might have another river that forms elsewhere in the mountains and either flows to the sea independently, or joins the larger river further downstream.

You also have a particularly straight river shooting straight from the mountains heading westward. To my mind, this looks like a man-made channel or canal, given its relative straightness. If that were the case, though, you'd probably have large cities/ports at either end.

In the southwest you've also got some strange-looking rivers, but not sure how to fix those. They don't flow from the mountains, but seem to connect the southern sea with the island-filled channel. Again, doesn't look natural, but I don't know how to fix it, since I'm not sure what it's purpose is.

megrim
07-02-2009, 12:53 PM
Well, in the south you have some rivers coming from the mountains and collecting into the large lake. That's pretty good, there. Exiting the lake, however, you'd usually only have one river, connecting to the sea. You have two, so I would just pick one - whichever was the more important. (If neither seems important, pick randomly.) Then, both of those rivers split. It's hard to tell what the scale of this is but rivers tend not to split before rejoining the main channel in a relatively short distance. (Water likes to take the quickest and easiest path downhill.) So, I'd probably pick only of the branches coming off those rivers to keep as well.

In the north you've got some things going on as well. You've got headwaters in the mountains, but it splits relatively quickly, and then many times. Rather, you'd more likely have several headwaters forming small rivers at the mountains that come together as they flow toward the sea. Then you might have another river that forms elsewhere in the mountains and either flows to the sea independently, or joins the larger river further downstream.

You also have a particularly straight river shooting straight from the mountains heading westward. To my mind, this looks like a man-made channel or canal, given its relative straightness. If that were the case, though, you'd probably have large cities/ports at either end.

In the southwest you've also got some strange-looking rivers, but not sure how to fix those. They don't flow from the mountains, but seem to connect the southern sea with the island-filled channel. Again, doesn't look natural, but I don't know how to fix it, since I'm not sure what it's purpose is.

i suck at rivers i really do XD feel free to drap ontop of the map where the rivers might seem to fit...

Karro
07-02-2009, 03:31 PM
i suck at rivers i really do XD feel free to drap ontop of the map where the rivers might seem to fit...

I don't have something to draw with, here at work.

But... oops, you erased the parts of the rivers connecting to the mountains. As mountains are usually the sources of the rivers, you want to put those back!

What you'll want to take out is some of the downstream branches (flowing away from the mountains and toward the sea) where the rivers split and go in multiple directions toward the sea.

megrim
07-02-2009, 09:21 PM
I don't have something to draw with, here at work.

But... oops, you erased the parts of the rivers connecting to the mountains. As mountains are usually the sources of the rivers, you want to put those back!

What you'll want to take out is some of the downstream branches (flowing away from the mountains and toward the sea) where the rivers split and go in multiple directions toward the sea.

i give up XD

philipstephen
07-03-2009, 09:05 AM
your map is looking pretty sweet...

and the rivers are getting better... though they still need a bit of work...

...but don't be discouraged. you have a unique and gorgeous style of map making that deserves much praise.

i did not really get how rivers worked until i read a lot of posts and advice on it here at the cartographers guild...

they start from little streams in the mountains... which join up to make the river wider... but once they join up, they do not split again...

attached is an example of what i am talking about...

good luck... your map is coming along great!14601

Karro
07-06-2009, 09:18 AM
Great updates, the rivers are beginning to look pretty good.

Also, I have to agree that overall, stylistically, this map is looking great! Good luck!.

megrim
07-06-2009, 10:51 AM
your map is looking pretty sweet...

and the rivers are getting better... though they still need a bit of work...

...but don't be discouraged. you have a unique and gorgeous style of map making that deserves much praise.

i did not really get how rivers worked until i read a lot of posts and advice on it here at the cartographers guild...

they start from little streams in the mountains... which join up to make the river wider... but once they join up, they do not split again...

attached is an example of what i am talking about...

good luck... your map is coming along great!14601
Will look into it and update as suggested!

Great updates, the rivers are beginning to look pretty good.

Also, I have to agree that overall, stylistically, this map is looking great! Good luck!.
thanks mate, i believe this is going to be the standard way i will do my maps for a while

jfrazierjr
07-06-2009, 12:31 PM
Re rivers: Think of it this way. Rivers should be similar to trees. They start at the ocean/sea with a single trunk(unless there is a delta, but that's just a special tree formation). As you get further and further away from the base (the ocean), the tree splits into a few very large branches. Each of these splits into some medium branches and the medium branches split into tons of little tiny branches. These tiny branches, most of them anyway will start in the highlands or mountains and as they flow down (from the top of the tree to follow the analogy), they join larger branches until there is a single branch(the trunk) going to the water outlet.

Of course, this really depends on your scale and level of detail you want on your map, so you may not really put in 200 streams, but the general idea remains the same regardless. I typically like to put in between 3-8 streams/feeder rivers coming out of the mountains for each river that empties into a sea/ocean on most regional scales. With the apparent scale of your map, which appears to be 1000+ miles or more in size), I would stick to the low side and go with one main trunk and perhaps 2-4 tributaries joining into each of the trunks.

megrim
07-07-2009, 01:58 AM
Re rivers: Think of it this way. Rivers should be similar to trees. They start at the ocean/sea with a single trunk(unless there is a delta, but that's just a special tree formation). As you get further and further away from the base (the ocean), the tree splits into a few very large branches. Each of these splits into some medium branches and the medium branches split into tons of little tiny branches. These tiny branches, most of them anyway will start in the highlands or mountains and as they flow down (from the top of the tree to follow the analogy), they join larger branches until there is a single branch(the trunk) going to the water outlet.

Of course, this really depends on your scale and level of detail you want on your map, so you may not really put in 200 streams, but the general idea remains the same regardless. I typically like to put in between 3-8 streams/feeder rivers coming out of the mountains for each river that empties into a sea/ocean on most regional scales. With the apparent scale of your map, which appears to be 1000+ miles or more in size), I would stick to the low side and go with one main trunk and perhaps 2-4 tributaries joining into each of the trunks.

i can try to do that, do you think i should scale down the size of the rivers n the map... they seem pretty big to me, what do you think?

Karro
07-07-2009, 09:03 AM
i can try to do that, do you think i should scale down the size of the rivers n the map... they seem pretty big to me, what do you think?

I think on a map like this, with this sort of hand-drawn semi-isometric style, you're not going to get perfect accuracy with regards to the width of rivers and whatnot. So, I think it's perfectly in keeping with the style to have the rivers be a bit wide.

What I would think would help, though, is for the rivers to narrow a bit as they get closer to their sources. I don't know if this would be too hard, though.

jfrazierjr
07-07-2009, 09:50 AM
I think on a map like this, with this sort of hand-drawn semi-isometric style, you're not going to get perfect accuracy with regards to the width of rivers and whatnot. So, I think it's perfectly in keeping with the style to have the rivers be a bit wide.

What I would think would help, though, is for the rivers to narrow a bit as they get closer to their sources. I don't know if this would be too hard, though.

I agree with Karro, the river mouths are a nice width to compliment the style of the map. I see your using PS, do you have a tablet? I think the biggest issue I have is the style of the map vs the river sizes. ie, make the branches that feed the main rivers smaller in size either using a smaller brush or tablet pressure sensitivity. Since this is a really articstic style map though, I would not spend more than a few minutes tweaking the rivers, perhaps using no more than 3 brush sizes total (that includes the main river trunks you already have in place)

Davros01
07-07-2009, 09:56 AM
I really like the look and feel of this hand drawn style. looks like you have the same issues i'm having with rivers!!!! rivers rivers rivers..... :)

i've started playing around with tributaries and river widths. i'll let you know what the community thinks. if i get any tips, i'll send em your way

Marc

megrim
07-17-2009, 01:33 AM
like this? didnt do all the rivers... just giving it a test drive...

Gandwarf
07-17-2009, 06:02 AM
Yeah, those rivers are great.

Steel General
07-17-2009, 07:31 AM
like this? didnt do all the rivers... just giving it a test drive...

Looks like you got the hang of it now...

Karro
07-17-2009, 09:03 AM
Yeah, I think you have this thing figured out; looks great!

philipstephen
07-17-2009, 05:35 PM
Things are looking good with your rivers...

but those rivers in the Eastern mountains that I put an orange X near on my little suggestion... I did not mean that you should get rid of them... but just not have them join together at that X point...

the rivers you have look great, maybe add a few more? and some exit and entry streams from your other lake?

phil

philipstephen
07-17-2009, 05:37 PM
How did you do your mountains by the way?

They are as close to perfect as mountains can be on a map in my mind. Nice shape and shading, with good overlap and variation of form.

I would love to make mountains as sweet as those.

phil