PDA

View Full Version : The Realm of Callis

Chashio
09-05-2013, 04:26 PM
A closer look at a region within the world of Wyn (http://www.cartographersguild.com/finished-maps/23398-relevant-world-wyn.html), this is the realm of Callis. Hand-done in photoshop with the exception of most of the lettering and labels which were done on paper with an old dip pen and scanned.

Eilathen
09-05-2013, 05:16 PM
This is beautiful and highly inspiring! If i can i'll rep. you.
Hope to see more in this style (for example the second part of this world ;)).

- Max -
09-05-2013, 06:35 PM
Excellent work Chasio !

Bogie
09-05-2013, 06:50 PM
Great map, the Legend is terrific.

arsheesh
09-05-2013, 07:23 PM
Just fantasitc Chashio!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Lingon
09-06-2013, 02:32 AM
Amazing, Chashio! I love the style you are using on these maps, they have a sort of cozy fairytale feel without being childish or cartoony at all. The lettering is beautiful too. If I'd have one nitpick, it'd be that the mountains could be more varied… Some taller peaks here and there would make them stand out more from the hills, I think.

Oh, and by the way, I can't rep you right now, so here's an imaginary rep and a happy smiley: :lol:

Sapiento
09-06-2013, 06:05 AM
Beautiful map

Chashio
09-06-2013, 01:02 PM
Thank you all for the nice comments, I'm glad you like it!

Lingon... There are mountains further south of this realm. And some more mountains across the ocean.

jfrazierjr
09-06-2013, 01:50 PM
I have to say, I looked at this thread 2 or 3 times and the image looked rather blah and boring to me(probably because of so much green and very little other color variation noticeable). THEN, I clicked on the thumbnail to view the full sized view and it turns out to be a very cool map!! If I would personally make any a change(ie, if this was my map), I would add a bit more noticeable color variation to the "grass" and tone done the saturation on the "base" grass color. Again, it's still a very fine map even as is though.

Chashio
09-07-2013, 06:13 AM
Yep. The mark for the map style was similar to the Wyn map, as they're both created within the same group of cartographers in the setting, so I used the same base colors with a similar technique and tried to keep it all together and legible with the various lines and labels, etc. There is a lot more land than water in this one.

Steel General
09-07-2013, 08:25 AM
Been quite a while since I've been around,... this is quite nice.

My only little criticism (really more of a preference thing on my part) is that the greens are
very bright, almost yellow.

Chashio
09-07-2013, 03:17 PM
The appearance of colors and brightness across various computer monitors and mobile device screens is more liquid than watercolors on paper. And more aggravating than a mosquito's wavering tone in the ear, to be sure. Finding a nice monitor with more recent advancements has been in my plans for the near future though... Do you have a nice monitor, Steel General?

Lyandra
09-08-2013, 08:22 AM
Beautiful map Chashio! The style is lovely and the hand-lettering adds so much to the overall feeling of the image. I will rep you at a later date. I haven't been around much lately and have to spread some love first. ;)

aquarits
09-13-2013, 01:27 PM
Cashio owns, loved this map.
Reminds me your Celare, one map that inspired me and still do, with Calis (hell nice and beuty name) fill my library of top maps.

Chashio
09-13-2013, 02:26 PM
Cashio owns, loved this map.
Reminds me your Celare, one map that inspired me and still do, with Calis (hell nice and beuty name) fill my library of top maps.

Thanks aquarits! Yes, the map of Celare still inspires me too. And in each, the labels, names and info to be included were all provided. I must say, they have done a very fine job of building up wonderful and solid foundations for their storytelling. The anticipation to see these projects in their final forms is huge. :)

olifante666
09-13-2013, 02:37 PM
Beautiful map, congratulation.

Schwarzkreuz
09-17-2013, 05:51 PM
Very nice Work, just too bright for my eyes.

Aredhel
09-19-2013, 07:10 PM
Very nice done though a bit bright.

Chashio
09-19-2013, 10:51 PM
Thanks. Checking it out on a different screen now... it is maybe a touch brighter than on mine, but a lot of it was left as white paper (without antiquing effects) to key in with the style of the world map... and much of the land is a light-ish green color wash (which seems a bit more yellow on this screen). Is any of that what you guys mean by bright or do you mean over-exposed bright?

Eilathen
09-20-2013, 10:06 AM
I like that vibrant green! I think the map has its very own charm and style...i wouldn't change anything. Mellow, cookie-cutter greens we have enough of ;) ... wait, do i sound like Yoda?! ... :D

Chashio
09-20-2013, 11:47 AM
Thanks Eilathen! I wanted to give a fresh look at the place so that you're not viewing it after it's all happened. You have to admit though, the adopted fantasy scheme with the muted colors on aged and darkening parchment does very effectively and efficiently set a mood for the epic legend. ;)

MisterB
10-28-2013, 01:22 PM
Absolutely Gorgeous. I really love this kind of map style!

J.Edward
06-17-2014, 12:45 PM
I commented on this on DA but it deserves it here as well - fantastic map. I really like how you have hills and trees mixed together. Manny would just draw a hilly area and not include all the trees. The painting of the land really looks like watercolor. Nicely done. :D

Chashio
07-05-2014, 07:56 PM
Thank you, J.Edward. I have to admit, drawing trees around hills is one of my favorite mapping pastimes... even if it does make me a little bit insane after a few hours. :)

Andre Mauruto
07-05-2014, 11:12 PM
Very nice map!!!