PDA

View Full Version : Lingon takes baby steps in digital mapping

Lingon
09-06-2013, 04:09 AM
I've been messing around in Photoshop the past two days or so, trying to get a little better at it. Began by following http://www.cartographersguild.com/tutorials-how/3806-award-winner-antique-style-maps-photoshop.html, and did some experimenting here and there to make it a little more personal. Still plenty to add before it's close to done, but it looks like I'll be a little bit swamped with work for a week or two now so I wanted to post it up while I still have some steam in it :)

Planning to make hand-drawn mountains, and maybe redraw the rivers somehow as I don't like the way they look 100% (not the turorial's fault though, completely my own because I'm crappy at drawing digitally). I should probably tweak the aging effect around the edges too… Any suggestions, criticisms or angry "you're doing it wrong!"-shouts are welcome :D

Freodin
09-06-2013, 06:19 AM
You are doing it wrong! Where are the fluffy bunnies? ;)

No, actually, it looks quite good as it is. Nice coastline, and the coastal water effect is well done. Your rivers are not bad at all... perhaps they are a little too ... similar.

The only thing that looks a little weird is the coloration / age effect. Just now, it looks more than an old TV screenshot than an aged map.

Good luck with your work, and I hope you will be back to this map soon.

Llannagh
09-06-2013, 06:49 AM
I agree with Freodin. More fluffy bunnies. And pink unicorns.

You're doing a great job so far, though I also find the aging effect a bit odd, too.

Lingon
09-07-2013, 08:43 AM
Lol, old TV screenshot… It actually looks like that :lol: Thanks for the comments.

Here's a small update. I didn't delete the rivers permanently, just hid the layer, but I'll probably redo them. Mountains first, though!

Lingon
09-07-2013, 12:41 PM
Another small update:

First time I tried clone-stamped mountains. I drew them with ink and scanned, so I guess it's not a purely digital map anymore… Anyway, not sure if it's perfect yet, something about the arrangement of the mountains bothers me. Maybe I should push them together more, to make denser ranges?