PDA

View Full Version : WIP the heptarchy of Seferedh

- Max -
09-07-2013, 09:04 PM
Taking a break during some commissioned works, and for changing from Oraven's style, that I'm doing a lot lately, here's a new work in progress, the Heptarchy of Seferedh.
The map is 23x33". First step with land shape, coastlines and a scale border.

Diamond
09-07-2013, 09:06 PM
I already like it, just based on the land shapes. Has anyone ever told you that you give good landshape, Max? :D

Veluux
09-08-2013, 07:24 AM
Love your work and all your different styles. Can't wait to see how this develops!

Eilathen
09-08-2013, 07:59 AM
I second what Diamond said...your landshapes have a good flow.
It will be interesting to see where you go with this. A new style in development?

- Max -
09-08-2013, 09:44 AM
Thanks guys :)
@ Diamond : not as good as yours, who are always inspiring!
@ Eilathen : I will be interested to know where I am going with it aswell :D

Anyway, updated with border, rhumblines and compasses.

Ilanthar
09-08-2013, 10:48 AM
I love it already !
Your borders are just the kind I like : not to complex/present and pretty nevertheless. I got to say that I'm impress of the way you do your coastlines.

Does the heptarchy cover the north and south bank, as a nation built around a trading sea?

Korash
09-08-2013, 10:48 AM
I like the land forms too. The rhumblines make it look like a polar view. :) My one crit is about that rose at the bottom left...what with it being partially under the land, it causes both the rose and the land to be obscured. Maybe moving it a bit north or west would help.

- Max -
09-08-2013, 03:42 PM
Thanks !
@ Ilanthar : the heptarchy consists, as its name indicates it, of seven kingdoms (3 in north and 4 in south), divided and at war in the past. Faced with the threat of bloodthirsty pirates nations of the Western Empire Sirsk, the kingdoms were united a few decades ago by the King of Darien and becamethe heptarchy of Seferedh. Only the central archipelago remains a free country, but coveted because of the presence of veins in Vaernor in the close seabed. The Vaernor is supposed to contain the souls of the gods, killed by their own offspring, the Titans Sepher, shortly after the creation of the world. Anyone would manage to forge the Vaernor would dispose of artifacts that can unleash the power of the ancient gods of Sephered. That at least is what the legend says ...
@ Korash : Yes I had mixed thoughts about i aswell, I moved it north west :)

New update with main mountains ranges, rivers and kingdom borders on the north part of the heptarchy. Also tested out the main political labels. (rhumblines are temporarily removed)

Chashio
09-08-2013, 03:46 PM
This looks wonderful already, Max. :) I'm going to greatly enjoy watching this develop. Curious to see where it decides to go... besides my favorites folder, of course. Hey, question... Did you create the border components yourself or did you find them somewhere interesting on the web?

- Max -
09-08-2013, 03:50 PM
Thanks much Chasio :) I took some borders components from old maps (the corners and the middle bars ornaments) then drawn the lines, emulating some old french cartographer frames :D

Chashio
09-08-2013, 04:52 PM
You did it very well! :)

If you ever feel so inclined, I would love to see a quick step by step of your process. And if you ever feel especially inclined, perchance a video walk-through with comments?

- Max -
09-08-2013, 08:26 PM
Thanks you :) Did you mean for the border or the whole map process?

- Max -
09-08-2013, 09:43 PM
Some little progress on labeling and details...

aquarits
09-08-2013, 10:43 PM
You did it very well! :)

If you ever feel so inclined, I would love to see a quick step by step of your process. And if you ever feel especially inclined, perchance a video walk-through with comments?

If Cashio is saying about the border creating process, i vote: YES
http://www.startrek.com/uploads/assets/articles/cde42cb3_Picard-YES-meme.jpg

BTW, i am always impressed with your rivers, they give like a isometric impression, wut change everthing in your map.

Chashio
09-09-2013, 02:21 AM
Well, would you choke if I said I'd meant the whole map process? 'cause I was sorta hoping in that direction :D

- Max -
09-09-2013, 06:24 AM
*chokes* :D I know I should make a step by step tutorial for one of my map, a lot of people have already asked me about it...But that's some heavy time consuming task, especially when you're not that fluent in english (at least to explain "technical" or "artistic" things) A video? no way! My english spoken is way woooorst! :D

Freodin
09-09-2013, 07:15 AM
Some tips and hints would still be appreciated. It is always good to learn something new, especially from a real master!

- Max -
09-09-2013, 08:06 AM
Some tips and hints would still be appreciated. It is always good to learn something new, especially from a real master!

No more flattery, young Padawan! :D Alright, I'm gonna think about it, but if ever I make it (and I said if ever ;) ) I'd probably need some help with english corrections...

vorropohaiah
09-09-2013, 08:33 AM
i love how a little update from you is basically a finished map!

i like the subtle texture you have on the text - is there a texture layer on top of them or is the text opacity less than 100%?

Caenwyr
09-09-2013, 09:15 AM
What I wonder about, Max, is how you draw the mountains. Do you do them by hand, on a piece of paper? Do you draw 'em in with a clone stamp or something like that? Or are they drawn with a graphics tablet?

As always, I'm very impressed with your map. Keep 'em coming, mate. And er... I would very much like to help you out when it comes to checking your English, if you ever decide to do a tutorial. I'm sure many others on this forum will feel the same way ;-)

- Max -
09-09-2013, 09:29 AM

:D

i like the subtle texture you have on the text - is there a texture layer on top of them or is the text opacity less than 100%?

I used to try a texture on text to give it a subtle distressed texture but most of the time I wasnt really satisfied with it. I tried something different (more efficient and easier to do) here, an inner glow:

Obviously, size of the inner glow has to be set according to size text. Also the text opacity is 90%.
It works also on other elements, I used a similar effect on the border lines (mostly visible on the larger ones). Some pics for the comparison (without and with the effect) :
57599 57600

vorropohaiah
09-09-2013, 09:42 AM
cool, it helps soften everything to give it a bit more of a hand-made look. good stuff

- Max -
09-09-2013, 10:04 AM
What I wonder about, Max, is how you draw the mountains. Do you do them by hand, on a piece of paper? Do you draw 'em in with a clone stamp or something like that? Or are they drawn with a graphics tablet?

As always, I'm very impressed with your map. Keep 'em coming, mate. And er... I would very much like to help you out when it comes to checking your English, if you ever decide to do a tutorial. I'm sure many others on this forum will feel the same way ;-)

Thanks Caenwyr! Argh seems that I'm on heavy fire to make a tutorial or giving tips :D Alright here we go for the mountains : Those are hand-drawn with a graphic tablet (but in this style there's not that much tablet function used - just a very small controle pressure that's it, so that can be easily done by hand then scanned). Here's a quick one.

First draw a simple outline (here I used a small grungy round brush - no need to be too neat and clean for the style, that is intended to emulate some old 17th century style cartography mountains):

Then add "shadows" by simple curved hatching and a few dots:

Then add a bit of noise:

Once scaled down and put on a background with a dark brownish color you're done :)

Oh wait, now you just need to draw dozens more mountains :D You can draw them all on the map or if you want to re-use them on some other projects, turn them into brushes. Here I use them as brushes. Basically I draw the mountains, keep a few individual ones and build up some ranges (horizontal, vertical, diagonal ones, in short/medium/long sizes) and build up the final ranges on the map with them.

Hope that helps :)

cool, it helps soften everything to give it a bit more of a hand-made look. good stuff

Thanks, yep : doing less digital with digital :)

Chashio
09-09-2013, 02:00 PM
I used to try a texture on text to give it a subtle distressed texture but most of the time I wasnt really satisfied with it. I tried something different (more efficient and easier to do) here, an inner glow:

Yeah, I do that too, when it's not worth it to get out the ink and lettering pen. But I do an inner glow AND a texture overlay using a paper texture, both just low opacity... 12 and 7%... or about there. There's a mixture of digital and hand-inked lettering in both the Wyn and Callis maps... can't remember all of which was which.

You seem fluent in English. But a video tutorial wouldn't require audio comments... you can add them with text at the point of reference. Just saying. ;) Though I shouldn't talk. I still can't seem to get a video from a raw state to edited and saved properly for upload.

Sorry to put you in the firing zone... except not really... ;) You post such excellent maps on a regular basis... you had it coming. :D

- Max -
09-09-2013, 10:26 PM
And if you could see my PM inbox... :D

Anyway, updated with northern lands labels done, with special location added. Also mountains ranges, rivers, kingdom borders and key cartouche added on southern part.

Viking
09-09-2013, 11:49 PM
Dang Max, another nice one I didn't even notice!

Diamond
09-10-2013, 01:49 AM
Sorry to put you in the firing zone... except not really... ;) You post such excellent maps on a regular basis... you had it coming. :D

^^ This. ^^ :D

Eilathen
09-10-2013, 09:36 AM
I really like where this is going, Max :) I'm sure the finished map will be another beauty for your finished folder.

- Max -
09-10-2013, 06:41 PM
Thanks Viking and Eilathen, glad you like it. :)

arsheesh
09-11-2013, 04:50 PM
Looking fabulous as always Max!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

- Max -
09-12-2013, 04:21 AM
Thanks much Arsheesh :)

Obbehobbe
09-12-2013, 07:54 AM
Another great map from Max! Really nice!

- Max -
09-13-2013, 12:38 PM
Thank you Obbehobbe :) Here's the southern part will all the labels done (except the special locations ones that I still have to do). I guess I will go with main rivers labels aswell on the map.

aquarits
09-13-2013, 02:46 PM
Damn Max, i am starting to hate you. The keys are so simple and fits perfect with the map color scheme, "Brilliant!" . The political borders are amazing too ( felling a bit frustrated after see i am trying use in other 2 old maps).

Posts ago one brother asked about the mountains, if you dont mind i asking, i dont think the secret isnt when you draw the mountains, but the touch when you set it in the map. Just want to know, what you use to define the mountains/ trees positions, like your rivers, giving a isometric perception.

- Max -
09-13-2013, 07:02 PM
Thanks buddy! Not sure to understand you well though, if by keys you mean the cities icons, they were drawn based on some old 17th century style cartography (like the one you can find here (http://www.betzmaps.com/images/e-328.jpg) ). Since I have some green tones in the background texture, in the waterlines and rivers, the red icons works pretty well because of the complementary colors contrast.
I don't use anything in particular to draw mountains/rivers, just do it the way I feel. Sorry but I can give a better explanation :/ I usually start to build the mountains ranges, then draw riversn then put forests.

ukie
09-14-2013, 12:05 AM
Hot damn! Just beautiful and inspiring.

- Max -
09-14-2013, 01:50 PM
Thanks Ukie :) Labeled rivers, seas and little special locations insets. Should be done soon.

ukie
09-14-2013, 03:30 PM
Did you use a brush set for mountains? I'm inspired to make a map with that style. looks awesome once again!

- Max -
09-14-2013, 06:24 PM
Thanks Caenwyr! Argh seems that I'm on heavy fire to make a tutorial or giving tips :D Alright here we go for the mountains : Those are hand-drawn with a graphic tablet (but in this style there's not that much tablet function used - just a very small controle pressure that's it, so that can be easily done by hand then scanned). Here's a quick one.

First draw a simple outline (here I used a small grungy round brush - no need to be too neat and clean for the style, that is intended to emulate some old 17th century style cartography mountains):

Then add "shadows" by simple curved hatching and a few dots:

Then add a bit of noise:

Once scaled down and put on a background with a dark brownish color you're done :)

Oh wait, now you just need to draw dozens more mountains :D You can draw them all on the map or if you want to re-use them on some other projects, turn them into brushes. Here I use them as brushes. Basically I draw the mountains, keep a few individual ones and build up some ranges (horizontal, vertical, diagonal ones, in short/medium/long sizes) and build up the final ranges on the map with them.

Hope that helps :)

Hey Ukie, this quote probably answers your question ;)

ukie
09-15-2013, 01:38 AM
Sweet, thanks a bunch

Ilanthar
09-16-2013, 05:39 AM
Posted by -Max-
I usually start to build the mountains ranges, then draw riversn then put forests.

Really? Cooool ! Coz that's exactly the process I'm using, after coastlines of course. :D

And for the south part of the map, I'm gladly adding one more "amazing work".

Caenwyr
09-16-2013, 06:57 AM
Actually, now that I come to think of it, the best way to have a "natural" topography would be to begin with the mountain ranges, then the rivers, and THEN the coastline (which is, after all, the result of both orogeny and fluvial processes). Of course, no one ever does that - where's the fun in that, right?

- Max -
09-16-2013, 09:31 AM
You're right Caenwyr, but that would cool to do that, I'll probably try it on some map :D

Schwarzkreuz
09-16-2013, 05:06 PM
Nice work on this map style.

How is Kesh going?

- Max -
09-16-2013, 05:19 PM

How is Kesh going?

The last time I checked it, it was good...But it was long time ago :p

Chashio
09-16-2013, 07:08 PM
Actually, now that I come to think of it, the best way to have a "natural" topography would be to begin with the mountain ranges, then the rivers, and THEN the coastline (which is, after all, the result of both orogeny and fluvial processes). Of course, no one ever does that - where's the fun in that, right?

The larger percentage of mapping doodles in my sketchbook are created in that order, although forests and coastlines tend to be something of a toss-up for which gets started first; depends on how far the mountains are from bodies of water. :)

Schwarzkreuz
09-16-2013, 07:23 PM

The last time I checked it, it was good...But it was long time ago :p

Still motivated to finish?

- Max -
09-16-2013, 07:30 PM
Yep, but my actual computer can barely handle the monster that the file became (yesI know I hate merging layers :p). Fortunately, I'll get a new one soon :)

- Max -
09-16-2013, 09:49 PM
The map is done, you can find the finished thread here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/finished-maps/24692-heptarchy-seferedh-fantasy-map.html#post225556) Thanks for all the comments and th support guys, that's always appreciated! :)

vorropohaiah
09-17-2013, 07:29 AM
the link here from the finished thread is giving me an invalid link

Schwarzkreuz
09-19-2013, 05:00 AM
It works for me.

- Max -
09-19-2013, 07:32 AM
Yea the link was broken I fixed it ;) Thanks for the input, Vorro!

aquarits
09-21-2013, 09:09 PM
man dunno if i am right, but you compass rose dont need a little adjustment to fits exactly with the navigation lines?

- Max -
09-21-2013, 09:26 PM
Hmm don't really see any issue with this...

aquarits
09-21-2013, 09:48 PM
ok :)
weekly check, i was just checking in you finished thread, just though about a small redim or rotation.