PDA

View Full Version : *** September Challenge - Map a Landship ***

arsheesh
09-08-2013, 05:31 PM
Going back a couple of years now Jaxilon suggested the following for a challenge:

From a smoking Steampunk fortress to the Jawa's Sandcrawler map a ship that travels over land. Dwarves, Elves, Humans, Sith, Klingon, whatever, just some sort of land crawler. Fantasy or Sci-fi either way, it's all good.

So that is this month's challenge. Hope that gets your creative juices flowing.

Title each new thread September 2013 Entry - <your title>

Precede each WIP image with the tag ### Latest WIP ###.

The challenge will end on or around the first of October, and the winner will receive a golden compass, an enviable accolade here at the Guild.

Bogie
09-08-2013, 05:47 PM
[INDENT]Title each new thread July 2013 Entry - <your title>

Sounds like a cool idea, just one correction needed " Sept 2013 entry "

arsheesh
09-08-2013, 06:03 PM
Oops, that's what I get for copying and pasting. Thanks for the catch Bogie.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Larb
09-08-2013, 06:09 PM
Wow this is err... different. I think I'll give it a go just to broaden my horizons, so to speak.

Seraphine_Harmonium
09-08-2013, 09:05 PM
Very interesting. I am curious, but unsure about this one. Well, if I come up with a fun idea, I might enter. Although, it says it ends on the first of November, which would give us almost TWO months to work on it. I am guessing that's a mistake.

arsheesh
09-08-2013, 09:26 PM
Wow, I really should have proof read that post. Yup, got the dates mixed up. Should be corrected now.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

vorropohaiah
09-09-2013, 02:24 AM
ooh this is a cool one.

lostatsea
09-09-2013, 06:51 PM
I need clarification on this contest. LAND SHIP definition clarification please. Does it need to have tracks or wheels or skates etc that actually touch the ground ? Would a hover vehicle or ground effects vehicle be a acceptable? By ground affects / hover vehicle I mean something that holds itself off the ground by pushing off the ground . It is however unable to actually fly . Makes a big difference to me in my concept vehicle !

arsheesh
09-09-2013, 07:08 PM
I don't see an reason why a landship couldn't be a hover ship. Sure, why not.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

anomiecoalition
09-09-2013, 09:16 PM
Further clarification: Can this ship fly? (i.e....with the steampunk fortress example I was thinking about doing some sort of gnome zepplin/flying tower kind of thing...if I get the time to enter this month).

arsheesh
09-09-2013, 09:29 PM
Hmm, don't know if that's what Jax had in mind by a land ship or not. But I guess the definition is a bit blurry. Let's go ahead and allow that a flying fortress/zebplin counts as a landship.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Beoner
09-10-2013, 03:46 PM
Oh, I missed the last one. I really hope I get the time to enter on this. Very interesting idea to make my mind work :)

Greason Wolfe
09-10-2013, 09:27 PM
Hmm, don't know if that's what Jax had in mind by a land ship or not. But I guess the definition is a bit blurry. Let's go ahead and allow that a flying fortress/zebplin counts as a landship.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

If it flies, wouldn't that make it an airship as opposed to a land ship? Not trying to put the whammy on anyone's idea, it just seems to me that the concept of a land ship would have to react to the terrain directly beneath it in terms of pitch and yaw. If a flying fortress actually tilts when it encounters slopes, as opposed to simply rising or falling, I suppose that would work. I dunno, maybe I'm way off base here as I know next to nothing about how things work in steampunk settings.

arsheesh
09-10-2013, 09:30 PM
If it flies, wouldn't that make it an airship as opposed to a land ship? Not trying to put the whammy on anyone's idea, it just seems to me that the concept of a land ship would have to react to the terrain directly beneath it in terms of pitch and yaw. If a flying fortress actually tilts when it encounters slopes, as opposed to simply rising or falling, I suppose that would work. I dunno, maybe I'm way off base here as I know next to nothing about how things work in steampunk settings.

You may be right Greason Wolf, I'm no expert here, but if it means an extra entry this month I'm OK with allowing a bit of ambiguity.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

atpollard
09-10-2013, 11:19 PM
The traditional response to what is allowed is "that's for the voters to decide".

anomiecoalition
09-11-2013, 11:50 AM

I tend to agree but also know next to nothing about steampunk so I think thats what threw me off. I don't really have an idea in mind (just thought it might be fun to map a zepplin) and I honestly doubt that I will have the time to make an entry this month anyway...but thanks for responding guys.

rdanhenry
09-11-2013, 01:44 PM
You could do a fish-people "zeppelin", with a balloon to lift their water-heavy ship out of the ocean and stabilize it on the land.

Jaxilon
09-11-2013, 05:23 PM
As mentioned it would be up to voters to decide if it was so far out of bounds they wanted to disqualify it. That seldom happens. I suppose it could come into mind if there is a tie-breaker in a voter's mind. If it was me and I was thinking of doing something like what you are talking about I would just make it such that it could land and somehow anchor down to the earth for extended periods of time or something....Originally the idea was some sort of moving fortress that remained on the earth but I feel a "skipper" of some kind would work just as well.

Greason Wolfe
09-11-2013, 09:58 PM
It's all good. As I said, wasn't trying to squash anyone's ideas for a map. And, as has been pointed out, it is, ultimately, up to the voters to decide. Jaxilon's suggestion of a "skipper" rings true for me, maybe only capable of short "skips" that require landing every so often. I might actually try to enter this challenge, if I have the time, but would also like to see what anyone could do with the "skipper" idea in particular. Me, I haven't a clue what I would do with it. I'll probably stick to something a little more rooted. Did I just make a pun there? :)

Freehand 5.5
09-12-2013, 01:31 AM
Great topic! I try to be in.

EricPoehlsen
09-15-2013, 09:22 AM
I personally would classify (sea)ship / landship / airship / spaceship - and if it is not 'strictly' a landship, it is for the voters to decide if it fits the theme ...

I'll try to join ...

RobA
09-16-2013, 12:13 PM
I personally would classify (sea)ship / landship / airship / spaceship - and if it is not 'strictly' a landship, it is for the voters to decide if it fits the theme ...

I'll try to join ...

Emphasis added. In general our challenges are pretty free with interpretation of the challenge - creativity is desired here after-all. We trust in our members to vote not only based on the quality of the maps, but whether each map falls within the spirit of the challenge!

-Rob A>

Freehand 5.5
09-16-2013, 12:49 PM
The landship-topic for me is some heavy crude structure with big wheels crushing over land structures, cars, houses (or maybe antigrav projectors - but not really because it flies).
The love to a landship is dedicated to power and weight - like little boys admiring a mining truck or a wide-shovel excavator or a 16-axels transporter or a MBT.
There is more than only the size making the big difference in feeling to an airship or a spaceship or a battleship. In my eyes it's a complete different story. Just my 2 Cents.

Jaxilon
10-01-2013, 01:05 PM
Reminder - Add your ### WIP tags correctly or your entries don't get included in the thumbs for the contest. We can add them for you but it's iffy since we're busy just setting up the voting and all that.