PDA

View Full Version : Arinthia - A region in the world of Skenth

Viking
09-09-2013, 10:17 AM
Hi everyone,
so I started my next map. It is the island of Arinthia from this map (http://www.cartographersguild.com/finished-maps/24564-skenth-known-world.html) which this earlier map (http://www.cartographersguild.com/regional-world-mapping/23426-genth-coastal-region.html) also is in.

I started off by blowing up a cropping of my world map and shrunk down the second map to fit into it and I am proceeding to fill out the details. I am reusing elements from my world of Skenth map for visual continuity between the maps and because it saves time to do so.The compass is a reworked version of the world map's compass but simplified in the centre.

At this point all the political information is still getting shifted around as I work on the geography. This map will be a more manageable 14 by 8.5 inches though I may be tempted to up it to 11x17.... a decision I should decide sooner than later.

57606 Initial composition with the border and compass put in.

57607 Current progress.

- Max -
09-09-2013, 12:16 PM
Nice stuff Viking, looking forward to seeing it progress :)

Viking
09-09-2013, 10:51 PM
Thanks Max! :)

Diamond
09-10-2013, 12:53 AM
Yep, more awesomeness in the making!

Chashio
09-10-2013, 01:43 AM
Yay! :D

Are you going to paint the rest of the terrain so the detail level matches the bit from the other map?

Viking
09-10-2013, 10:13 AM
Thanks Diamond! :) I will try to make it shine though it will be less involved overall than the world map lol

Hey Chashio :) I will try to do so yes! If it doesn't work I'll just repaint parts of that small postage stamp to make it even lol

Azelor
09-10-2013, 11:50 AM
Great map and nice avatar Viking

Viking
09-11-2013, 12:31 AM
Thank you Azelor on both counts :)

Viking
09-11-2013, 10:56 PM
Here is a ~messy~ in progress shot of how this is coming. I've been moving stuff so the floating text is way off where it should be. I essentially upped the image size from 8.5 x 14 to 11 x 17 inches. I then went through the effort of again reconstructing the border to the new size. Since I don't want to just transform it to be larger and let the computer redraw the lines I had to cut it up and copy paste a lot as I wanted to preserve pixel fidelity. It means the map will take longer but I can still print it much more cheaply than the 18 x 24 image I had going previously.

My biggest decision right now is if I want to up the size of the Island I am focusing on or include more of the coastal regions just to the west. It has its pros and cons. If I just upsize the landmass from the initial set up I get more detail to play with for the current region. Having those western coasts gives me a few possibilities and I get to paint some more diverse landscapes. I can also use those areas in campaigns more easily. One day I may create a map of the lands to the west anyways so I may need to repaint them.

I think I may go with the legend in the top right again.

Update:
I've decided to just do the west coast. The detail in the ocean and on the land in the south west may look like a step backwards but it's progress I swear :)

Freehand 5.5
09-17-2013, 11:59 AM
Looks promising!
Do you paint this map on the same degree of detail as your first map which is included or did you reduce the pixels?

Schwarzkreuz
09-17-2013, 12:45 PM
Awesome progess. i cant wait to see more maps from you.

Chashio
09-17-2013, 01:03 PM
It's coming along very nicely :)

Are those cliffs I see on the southern shores? Very nice indeed :)

Freehand 5.5
09-17-2013, 02:11 PM
One thing came to my attention: Why don't you north the map properly.
From a grafic designer's point of view the slight angle is questionable.

Viking
09-20-2013, 10:25 AM
Thank you guys! :) I have not touched this in a little while but will pick it up again soon!

Freehand: I oriented the entire map a bit to maximize the land surface I could get while being able to include the landmarks I wanted to have in the map. That explains the odd angle.

Chashio: Those will indeed be cliffs! :)

Viking
09-24-2013, 02:07 AM
57898 Just an update here. I don't get as much time to put into this as I'd like. This image is half the size of Skenth map and I love how it loads so much faster etc :)

Viking
09-29-2013, 06:47 PM
58040 Here is an update.

TheHoarseWhisperer
09-29-2013, 11:18 PM
I love those mountains - but then, the whole thing is incredible.

My only criticism is that the compass rose (and possibly the border) look stylistically different to the painter-like style of the map itself. I'm also not entirely convinced by the yellow dots for towns - same reason, doesn't quite fit the style. But that's just my opinion, and frankly, you could scrawl rude words all over it and I'd still enjoy looking at this map.

Viking
09-30-2013, 08:34 PM
Thanks HoarseWisperer!,
Lol I'll refrain from putting curse words all over anyways :P

Thank you for the comments on the yellow dots and the compass. I am going to consider changing both... You are not the first to mention the compass being a bit out of style. Maybe I can rescue it somehow.

Diamond
09-30-2013, 11:47 PM
I happen to like the compass. It goes very well with the outer border, and makes a nice contrast to the painterly land. I'm on the fence about the town and city icons; I'm not sure how you'd show them all in a 'painterly' style without waaaaay overcrowding everything. I think it's workable as is.

vorropohaiah
10-01-2013, 02:27 AM
the key (labels and symbols need to be bigger. as they are they're lost amidst the lovely painting :)

Viking
10-01-2013, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. :)

Diamond: I feel similar and I may be stubborn and stick with it as it is lol. I will experiment though :)

Valtharius
10-11-2013, 09:51 PM
"I approve"? That's the only option given... I'd say "It's a masterpiece in the works!" Great looking map! Love the muddy colors and how they are blended one into another. The cliffsides are gorgeous.

Naming convention... names are something that I am really picky about. I'd give you a 10 out 10 on this. I like that a few of the city/town names have the "R" following the "D" without vowel in between (Kavindr). I also love the double "I" in "Mokiista." I'd love to see a larger version of the world map beyond the one posted in your last thread so I can read more city names. I love city/country/landmark names.

Compass Rose - It doesn't fit color-wise. It stands out too much from the map. If the colors were muddier and the edges not so well defined, it would fit perfectly.

Kudos to you and a hearty "SKOL VIKING!" too!

~Val

===============

58040 Here is an update.

Viking
10-11-2013, 11:01 PM
Thank you Valtharius! :) I'm glad you noticed the naming conventions there! I will likely have to change the compass I think. :( Hopefully I can work on this map again soon!

tinyaltar
10-13-2013, 11:57 AM
I'm really looking forward to seeing this one finished. I absolutely love the mountains -- I like that they are drawn as a chain altogether, instead of using repeated icons.

TStrube
10-13-2013, 05:45 PM
Your maps are truly outstanding

Gallien
10-20-2013, 05:35 PM
Absolutely cool! The lines are inexact or ragged (not sure I'm using the correct word), but that only makes the map look even more stylish and mystic-looking! Incredible!

Viking
10-22-2013, 09:43 PM
Tinyaltar: Thank you :) I still have much to learn about mountains just the same I think! I do hope to finish this map myself soon. I am rather busy with things alas! lol

TStrube: Thank you very kindly!

Gallien: Thank you very much! :)

Viking
12-25-2013, 12:21 PM
Here is an update of how the map is coming. I took a break from the rest of my life to work on this one again.

Neyjour
12-25-2013, 12:44 PM
This is absolutely beautiful! Well done! :)

arsheesh
12-25-2013, 02:53 PM
Yup, another beauty.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

madbird-valiant
12-25-2013, 06:48 PM
Absolutely stunning work.

Viking
12-26-2013, 02:44 AM
Thank you guys!

Llannagh
12-26-2013, 06:09 AM
Man, I dig your style. Especially the mountains. And the coastline. If I ever manage to do something similar, I'll be satisfied.

Llannagh
12-26-2013, 12:35 PM
I just noticed: Is it supposed to be the "Baren" reach, or did you mean "Barren"? Baren would surely fit in with the other names, though...

Viking
12-26-2013, 11:58 PM
Thank you, Llannagh!
I am sure you could do something similar with enough practice :) I have no special gift!
It definitely should have been Barren. A definite typo. I probably wrote "Bare Coast" first then only added the n and not a second r lol. I noticed another typo in my legend so I'll definitely need to update them :)

Llannagh
12-27-2013, 01:26 PM
I'll practice, then! ;)

If I may ask: how did you get the "zoom" to work? Does your world map have a really high resolution and you just copied a part of it? Because that's what I'm trying to do, but that'll screw up my coastlines.

Viking
12-27-2013, 03:31 PM
The zoom of my work? Ah, I think I may know what you're asking so I'll try to explain. If not please elaborate when you can :) So essentially, for this map, I took a small section of my previous world map and blew it up. I also took a previous map I made and shrunk it down to fit into this one since this is a "regional" map while the other maps are a "world" and a "local" map.
I don't use vectors to make these maps but I used raster images. Here is an explanation of the difference. (http://www.youthedesigner.com/2012/08/12/how-to-explain-raster-vs-vector-to-your-clients/) When you change the size of a raster image (so change a 500x200 pixel image to a 1000 x 400 pixel image for example) the computer has to recalculate the pixels. When you shrink an image, detail is permanently lost, and when you enlarge an image the computer tries to guess as well. Both processes are pretty destructive as far as image quality goes though the shrinking at least damages the image less obviously. When you enlarge you will especially lose a lot of sharpness.
So when I enlarged the "zoom" section it definitely lost a lot of detail and I essentially had to recreate a lot of it to regain the lost sharpness. In other words, I only blew it up to get the right shapes and general colours but there was a lot of work involved in making it look good. Does that make sense?

Llannagh
12-27-2013, 04:39 PM
Thanks for taking the time to answer so detailed. It makes sense to me.

I should have phrased my questioned better, but you answered it nonetheless! :) I wanted to ask "how did you manage to enlarge a particular part of your image that much without losing the detail". But since I was at work earlier, I had the time to read through this post more carefully and thus had already kind of figured out how you did it, apart from the shrinking bit.

I'm working in photoshop, and as you mentioned above, when I copy a part out of my original worldmap and fit it to the size I want it, it gets blurry. At least it's still roughly the original shape. So no way around redoing the coastlines, then. Ah well, can be fun, right? ;)

So, thanks again and keep up the inspiring work!

- Max -
12-28-2013, 10:19 AM
great stuff Viking, as usual :)

ainatan
12-31-2013, 03:59 AM
Good job.:)

Luxferre
01-02-2014, 09:02 AM
Man, I dig your style. Especially the mountains. And the coastline. If I ever manage to do something similar, I'll be satisfied.

I totally agree with the quoth.

I'm reading a lot of stuff concerning worldbuilding (Kobold Guide, World Builders Guidebook, Forums, Blogs) but I never saw a map as great, as yours. A good inspiration for my coming work ;-)

Viking
05-29-2014, 10:17 AM
Thank you guys again! :) I was going to respond when I had an update but I didn't get to work on this map for a few months so it didn't happen.
Here is an update:

I think I may be calling this one done soon and moving onto another region in the Skenth world.

jugabyte
05-29-2014, 10:28 AM
Instantly one of my favorites. Beautiful colors!

EDIT: Ok, I must learn the techniques you used to color this map. Do you have a tutorial anywhere?

J.Edward
05-29-2014, 11:49 AM
Beautiful map Viking. Everything is done exceptionally well.
Love the mountains but my most favorite part has to be those raised coastlines. Really well done.

Viking
06-06-2014, 09:22 PM
Jugabyte: Thank you very much! You're very kind. I don't really have a tutorial anywhere yet although I do have this from a while ago:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/images/attach/jpg.gif

J.Edward: Thank you as well! I appreciate your comments :)

offerlam
06-28-2014, 01:34 AM
Hi Viking..

AWESOME WORK!

I actually plan on using your map for my RPG but i would like the raw image if possible? I went to the page where you sell the map but it looks like to be in physical form and not digital?

Any case is it possible for you to make a high resolution PDF or something? I will gladly provide easy upload access for you and my line is 100Mbit so i won't slow you down.

Also payment can be arrange if you would name a price..

The reason i need the high resolution pic is because when we scroll in to see city names and so on its get blurry and hard to read fast.. i understand you reason for doing this but i really need the full resolution pic.

Thanks

Casper

PS: you can email me directly at casper@dingit.dk