PDA

View Full Version : [WIP] Caves of Chaos

Xorne
09-11-2013, 12:32 AM
Been working this weekend on the largest map I've ever taken on with CC3, The Caves of Chaos, in preparation for running a D&D Next playtest. Here's how it's shaping up so far:

Using a lot of art from the CSUAC and SMAC collections. Some of the stuff will be hidden on the final map (like the pit) but I've really had a lot of fun with this map. I started off by taking the old-school blue map and dropping it at the bottom layer and scaling it to fit my grid. Then I built all the rooms, sometimes just drawing the floor then walls, other times (like the caves) using multipolys to make cut-out sections of the floor.

I'm still using standard effects on the sheets, once I get all the symbols stamped in I'll start tweaking with things like the transparency of the grid lines, shadow lengths and maybe some light sources. Note that I haven't settled on the floor and wall fills yet; with CC3 it's sooo easy to change them later.

Xorne
09-16-2013, 08:47 AM

I'm still tinkering with it slightly, but I've started running the game using this map. It's a 50px:5f grid scale, so the detail isn't super sharp, but it's also a 6900x4500 image, and I just didn't want to go any bigger. I saved it as a 30% quality JPG though, so I'm actually pretty pleased with how legible it is, all things considered.

As the game progresses, I might cut out 100px:5f battlemaps of the individual lairs for each of the tribes.

anstett
09-16-2013, 10:14 AM
One minor comment to change on furnishings.

It seems like this set up for some sort of humanoid / less than human sort of settlement. The beds being more of a nest of blankets on the ground.

So why do they have nice chairs and tables? I would swap that out for more of the "around the campfire" pieces for a more consistent look.

BOB

Xorne
09-18-2013, 08:30 AM
The Caves of Chaos is a dungeon out of one of the first D&D modules, B2 Keep on the Borderlands. The caves are inhabited by kobolds, goblins, hobgoblins, orcs, ogres, bugbears, quite a few different monstrocities, and finally the Cult of Evil Chaos. The hobgoblin leader, for example, has nice furnishings, while the rest mostly have cots. The kobolds on the other hand sleep on skins or skins stretched over a frame, or just piles of rubbish. The adepts and acolytes of the cult sleep on expensive beds with dressers and braziers.

Bogie
09-29-2013, 12:56 AM
Quite a large project you have taken on, nice work.

ravells
09-29-2013, 07:32 PM
Ahhh the keep on the borderlands! My regards to 'Sho Rembo' I have no idea why, but that NPC's name has stuck in my memory for over 30 years!