PDA

View Full Version : Map for a friend

Clercon
09-11-2013, 05:27 AM
This is a map I made for a friends RPG campaign. I wanted to try out the latest annual (nr81, that Schwarzkreus here at the forum made) for CC3 again and try out some ideas I had.
The finished map is a combined effort made in both CC3 and Photoshop. I first made the map in CC3, all the mountains, forest, cities and roads. I left the sea in a single colour so I easily could select it in Photoshop later. In Photoshop I added the new sea and rivers and applied some effects like oilpaint to make everything blend together. The sea monsters are from the July annual from Profantasy this year, that I made, but I decided to colour them so they better fitted in to the map.

arsheesh
09-11-2013, 03:52 PM
Looks wonderful Clercon!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Larb
09-11-2013, 04:06 PM
If you gave me that I'd be very happy. I am not familiar with CC3 though so I don't have much to say about it!

Clercon
09-11-2013, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the nice words and the rep.
Larb - He was very happy :) And I have to thank Schwarzkreus for the very nice style he made, even though I've made some significant changes in Photoshop. I liake CC3 a lot, but it is together with Photoshop that you really can make it shine.

waldronate
09-11-2013, 10:14 PM
What sort of touchup in Photoshop do you usually do?

Clercon
09-12-2013, 04:25 AM
What I mainly do is adding texture (via a multiply layer) and fiddle with light and contrast (levels, curves). I nearly always as well add the oil paint filter to the map. This makes the map look a bit more hand painted and not computer generated. It also helps free hand objects added to the map in PS melt into the style a bit. Lately I've also started adding all rivers in PS, gives you more control and I like that the rivers can differ in width a bit when the float down to the sea/ocean.
That is mainly what i do, it might differ a bit between maps.

Lyandra
09-15-2013, 05:04 AM
Gorgeous map Clercon! I like this one much better than the one you've done in the original CC3 style. I love the addition of monsters, they add so much character to the map.^^ I think you've done a great job enhancing the style in Photoshop. It looks very organic and hand-painted now, the unnaturally looking rivers is what really bothered me in the CC3 maps I've seen so far, painting yours in PS was an excellent choice.

Clercon
09-15-2013, 05:06 PM
Thanks Lyandra, I'm glad you like it. And yes the rivers usually comes out looking a bit computer generated when you do them in CC3. That is why I'm nowadays always do them in PS.