PDA

View Full Version : September 2013 Entry - The Crimson Permanent Assurance

RobA
09-12-2013, 02:14 PM
Hope I get to finish this one....

When I saw the challenge topic, one "landship" immediately came to mind. The building from "The Crimson Permanent Assurance" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crimson_Permanent_Assurance) short.

For those not familiar it about an accounting firm in England that overthrows their new owners, the "Very Big Corporation of America" (a recent takeover), and weighs anchor, setting off, attacking big corporations as they "sail the wide accountan-cy" .

I'm planning to do this in a spelljammer style, flushing out the areas of the building not showed in the movie with what one would expect on a pirate ship, especially one envisioned by Monty Python (so I plan to add in MP references thoughout - such as the Department of Redundancy Department, and the Argument Clinic.

I got a good start by sketching out scale views of the building by ripping several dozen frames out of the video as reference.

### Latest WIP ###

-Rob A>

Bogie
09-12-2013, 06:11 PM
And now for something entirely different!

RobA
09-13-2013, 04:01 PM
Starting on the floors...

Had to switch to a tabloid layout to fit them all in!

### Latest WIP ###

-Rob A>

Bogie
09-13-2013, 06:01 PM
That's a lot of floors to map out. How does this building move? Does it have wheels like my silly picture or is it on rails?

arsheesh
09-14-2013, 02:56 AM
That's a lot of floors to map out. How does this building move? Does it have wheels like my silly picture or is it on rails?

My guess would be rocket propulsion, or are those just outer columns in level 1? At any rate, I like where this is going.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

RobA
09-14-2013, 08:30 PM

It is sail propulsion. No rails. Seems to be a flat botom. Unless you have seen the short this will make no sense as it is a tad fantastical.....So....(they weigh anchor at around 5:30)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZeOUI2zEbo

-Rob A>

Bogie
09-14-2013, 09:23 PM
AhHa, now I understand!

jbgibson
09-14-2013, 10:41 PM
Oh.
My.
Goodness.

I shall never look upon crusty old British accountants the same again.

I wonder what kind of land speed the Sydney Opera House would get? And whether a mezzo soprano outguns a weaponized five-drawer filing cabinet...

Korash
09-15-2013, 04:25 PM
Rob, this deserves some rep just on the subject matter alone. :) I LOVE that skit. True and Pure Monty Python :D

Larb
09-15-2013, 06:59 PM
Now it makes more sense!

RobA
09-17-2013, 11:54 AM
Starting to add in the floor details.... I've replaced the original elevation views with the standard spelljammer cut-away view, but I think I'd like to work the elevation views back in somehow...

### Latest WIP ###

-Rob A>

RobA
09-17-2013, 04:02 PM
OK - A big push today and I think the meat is done....

Still need my 5' floor grid though.... plus what ever chrome I want to add.... Also need to proofread ;)

### Latest WIP ###

-Rob A>

RobA
09-18-2013, 12:23 PM
And another update - Not sure if the Edwardian architectural border is "too much":

### Latest WIP ###

-Rob A>

RobA
09-18-2013, 12:44 PM
Pushing the spelljammer style a bit outside its' normal boundaries now (not sure if I'm sold on the blueprint look - blueprints are too mid 20th century for building this age, and too old-fashioned for modern...):

### Latest WIP ###

And I'm still missing the floor grid....

-Rob A>

gpig
09-18-2013, 01:58 PM
Bravo! Excellent. Wot Wot!

EricPoehlsen
09-18-2013, 02:11 PM
I like it ...

RobA
09-19-2013, 10:17 AM
I've decided to stick with the blueprint style, so a bit of finessing with the colours, making the "Crimson" live up to it's name, and some additional neatlines put it here:

### Latest WIP ###

Not sure if I want to add any distress (creases/folds or tape....)

-Rob A>

- Max -
09-19-2013, 10:55 AM
Red on a blue print? :D

RobA
09-19-2013, 12:08 PM
Red on a blue print? :D

Yeeeeaaaah....... Crimson, actually :P

I've played with the colours - the look I am going for is as if someone inked the word "Crimson" in red ink after the blueprint was made, so I've added some blur, smearing and opacity masking to it.... I also reduced the noise in the blue background as it was a bit overpowering in that last version....

### Latest WIP ###

-Rob A>

arsheesh
09-19-2013, 08:43 PM
I love the blue background, but I'm with Max, the crimson tittle rubs me the wrong way. Personally I think the two-tone image is much cleaner.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

cfds
09-20-2013, 06:48 AM
Now it makes more sense!

These are not the words I had chosen...

RobA
09-21-2013, 01:48 PM
Alright - after playing with a few things, I agree that it is a bit intense, so I'm back to this varient, with the blue adjusted a bit:

### Latest WIP ###

Think I'll call it done unless there are any other suggestions or crits?

-Rob A>

Larb
09-21-2013, 10:13 PM
Not really - I think it looks great and I like the blueprint style you settled on.

rdanhenry
09-24-2013, 09:31 AM
Pink? It may blend better with the blueprint color, but it doesn't exactly say, "Arr! Surrender yer ledgers or prepared to be boarded!" does it? If not blood, I'd think they'd want to at least evoke red ink. This says "baby shower" to me.

gpig
09-24-2013, 12:25 PM
I agree with rdanhenry. I prefer the red crimson, rather than the pink. Either that or no color at all. :)

Now where can I get a full-sized poster version of this? Hmmmm?

Cheers,
Gpig

RobA
09-25-2013, 09:38 PM
OK - I'm going for a real crimson - just worked a bit of texture into it.

This should be the end.

### Latest WIP ###

@gpig - what size poster?

-Rob A>

Korash
09-25-2013, 10:12 PM
Nicely done Rob, I REALLY need to find a way to use this some how...

BTW, the Battle deck has an error in the room description; I believe you need to switch the write-up for 2 and 4.....unless there is a HUGE amount of exposed ammo storage on the starbord side and only one cabinet bay......

gpig
09-26-2013, 01:51 PM
Good catch, Korash.

Lovely job, RobA.

11x17 would be a fine size for a wee poster.

:)

RobA
09-26-2013, 02:05 PM
Nicely done Rob, I REALLY need to find a way to use this some how...

BTW, the Battle deck has an error in the room description; I believe you need to switch the write-up for 2 and 4.....unless there is a HUGE amount of exposed ammo storage on the starbord side and only one cabinet bay......

I don't see it.... Are you looking at D the battle Deck or 3 the Bureaucracy? (The floor labels are below the floors....could be clearer, I guess... maybe label from top to bottom rather than bottom to top?)

And thanks for the feedback all!

-Rob A>

atpollard
09-26-2013, 02:15 PM
I don't see it.... Are you looking at D the battle Deck or 3 the Bureaucracy? (The floor labels are below the floors....could be clearer, I guess... maybe label from top to bottom rather than bottom to top?)

And thanks for the feedback all!

-Rob A>
He, like me read the description for the battle deck and looked at the map for the bureaucracy deck. :blush:

RobA
09-26-2013, 03:01 PM
He, like me read the description for the battle deck and looked at the map for the bureaucracy deck. :blush:

It is a human factors issue - don't blame yourself. Having the ledgend for the one floor adjacent to the map makes it confusing :(

-Rob A>

Korash
09-26-2013, 06:25 PM
LOL :D

Actually I was looking at the Floor name and looking at the map beneath it...I should have realized that the name would be closer to the map it belongs to than further away.....

RobA
09-27-2013, 04:02 PM
I showed this to a colleague who is a big Python fan, who said "What, no albatross?"...

So after brainstorming with some help from my tattered copy of "Just the Words", I've revised a fair number of the room labels...

### Latest WIP ###

Hope I didn't add in too many typos...

-Rob A>