PDA

View Full Version : First Map Ever

millie
09-15-2013, 12:55 AM
Hope everything is working right, this is the first forum I've ever really joined :blush:

This is a map that I created to get some thoughts down on "paper". Musing around about a new world, new characters.

This is the first time I've ever drawn a map, and I've only really ever fiddled around in PS CS4 before. It's a whole new arena! I know I need to learn a lot about digital art technique and map creation, but I think it's a decent start.

Any advice would be appreciated, but please be gentle :|

Diamond
09-15-2013, 01:29 AM
Hi Millie, welcome to our little bunch of mapping misfits. :D

Great start on that map! Interesting layout, rivers look good, and I like the coloration. The mountains that you've got over on those islands in the SW look pretty awesome.

The only two nitpicks I have are 1) the TOO sharp sharpness of the continental shelves/underwater landforms compared to the (in my opinion) much nicer soft blur land stuff; and 2) I think your landmasses could benefit from a thin stroke, maybe in a dark blue color.

Have some rep for posting a map right off the bat!

millie
09-15-2013, 01:40 AM
Thanks for the input & rep! Now that I've posted it, all I can see are things that need to be fixed ;) I'd love to practice enough to find out what my personal style is. So many people here have awesome and unique techniques!

Korash
09-15-2013, 03:48 PM
.... Now that I've posted it, all I can see are things that need to be fixed ;) I'd love to practice enough to find out what my personal style is. So many people here have awesome and unique techniques!

And so another one is snared !!! ;) And it will be the practice that will allow you to develop your style. Like diamond says, you are on your way with this as a start. Nicely done so far. Awaiting to see it develop.

millie
09-15-2013, 10:05 PM
Not sure how far I will continue with this map. I added some texture (below) based on RPGmapmaker's tutorials. I have just tried too many things on this map, and the styles and textures are getting all jumbled. Despite the smorgasbord of textures, it was a great learning experience and I like the landforms and design of the map. I will likely take what I have and go from there.

Here's the update: