PDA

View Full Version : Halloway Island

Salama
09-25-2013, 10:17 AM
Hi there!

Just wandered back here and looked through enormous amount of awesome maps, there are very talented people here! I got to cartographing few years ago, but only made two maps and then sadly kind of wandered away from it... Until now, when my friend needed a map of an island for his role playing game. He sent me a excel sheet with the general shape of the island, and markings for mountains, forests, swamps and villages. Nothing fancy here, but I think it's pretty good as I spent only few hours making it (I did use some textures I made earlier for some other map). Thanks for looking! This is finished work, but I'd gladly hear some c&c for future projects!

edit: oops, I uploaded an older version of the map... I tried to replace it but it shows both of 'em...

atpollard
09-26-2013, 01:01 AM
That looks really good.

The only constructive criticism that I can offer would be to add a faint shadow to the woods to make the trees float above the background and give it a hint of a more 3D character.

Salama
09-26-2013, 03:31 AM
That looks really good.

The only constructive criticism that I can offer would be to add a faint shadow to the woods to make the trees float above the background and give it a hint of a more 3D character.

Thanks! I have faint shadow on the top layer of the woods, but your right, the bottom layer is missing a shadow. Thanks for noticing!

Heru-Zame
09-27-2013, 03:11 AM
Very good maps an draws...

Viking
09-27-2013, 12:52 PM
Nice work Salma!

jljansen
09-27-2013, 01:13 PM
Upon a closer look, those are some interesting mountains. May I ask how you created them? Or what software you used?

Salama
09-27-2013, 03:18 PM
Upon a closer look, those are some interesting mountains. May I ask how you created them? Or what software you used?

In Photoshop, with a brush I created for mountains. Then Bevel from layer styles with a tint of texture I also created for mountains. Last step was to do some shadows and highlights with a normal brush, and also some additional coloring.

jljansen
09-27-2013, 03:57 PM
In Photoshop, with a brush I created for mountains. Then Bevel from layer styles with a tint of texture I also created for mountains. Last step was to do some shadows and highlights with a normal brush, and also some additional coloring.

Well I gotta hand it to you. They look great!

Salama
09-27-2013, 04:18 PM
Thanks mate!