PDA

View Full Version : Bicolline - commissioned fantasy map

- Max -
10-02-2013, 01:37 PM
Hi all,

This is a commissioned piece I made a few months ago, the map of the world of Bicolline. The duchy of Bicolline is a cooperative that organizes very large LARP games in Quebec (games, events and details can be found here (http://www.bicolline.org/le_jeu.html)and here (https://www.facebook.com/bicolline) and the map is intended to replace their previous one. The logo of Bicolline and the heraldic were provided by the client. Original map size is 46"x33" and intended both for print and web usage.

© Le Duché de Bicolline-2013- All rights reserved

Hope you'll like it,

As usual, feel free to rate, rep or run away :)

Clercon
10-02-2013, 01:59 PM
I'm sorry but I must admit that I hate it, mostly because it is so damn good and your skills really makes me doubt what I'm doing in this business at all.
Aargh...Really a great map again. Thanks for sharing.

Domino44
10-02-2013, 02:21 PM
This map is incredible, I never get tired of looking at your work. Every map you do is amazing, and I agree with Clercon that sometimes I hate that your so good. Again all your work is amazing, great job!

ThePatrick
10-02-2013, 05:59 PM
Again, one of the best maps I have ever seen. Incredible!

Again so many details and artful coloring.

Larb
10-02-2013, 06:37 PM
Another great map from Max. Who'd have thought? =P
(I still can't rep you because of the last ones!)

Clercon: you do some great work to a very high standard too. It's just Max consistently deluges us in fantastic maps in a really fabulous style like this one.

Max: I would really love to know more about your workflow as I'm sure many others would too. You must have some secrets to share surely!

arsheesh
10-02-2013, 11:29 PM
Yup, another beauty you got there Max.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Bogie
10-03-2013, 01:08 AM
Fantastic map Max.

- Max -
10-03-2013, 03:06 AM
Thank you very much guys, comments appreciated!
@ Clercon : What larb said, no need to hate ( ;) ), you have some great maps aswell!
@ Larb : You're probably right, lot of people here want me to make a tutorial, I'd probably have to make some one of these days but regarding the time involved in tutorial making, that would mean I'd have some spare time without commissions or personnal projects running....which is almost never the case :D

Sapiento
10-03-2013, 03:51 AM
A fine map, as usual. CoA are excellent, as is the border. Did you use Illustrator for these?

Schwarzkreuz
10-03-2013, 06:28 AM
I was confused at first, than remembered you showed me this some time ago. Next to your recent maps, It feels a bit ancient, but its barely half a year ago... once agin I am reminded on your fast pace devellopements :D

- Max -
10-03-2013, 07:34 AM
Yes it's a style I didn't worked lately and there's some things here and there that can be improved but I might use it (or something very close) on some future works again.
@ Sapiento : all is done in PS. As for the CoA, like I said in the OP, I didn't make them, they were provided by the client. I just tweaked them with colors/texture to make them more consistent each together.

Ilanthar
10-03-2013, 08:07 AM
I'm joining the numerous "can't rep you yet"

Incredible map as usual, and I'm really fond of your borders and shields as well.

aquarits
10-03-2013, 08:18 AM
Fantastic like always. The borders in this map make me hate you!

- Max -
10-03-2013, 10:29 AM
Thanks Ilanthar and Aquarits!

Jrandom
10-04-2013, 10:53 PM
How long did it take you to make?

Very nice. Very professional.

- Max -
10-05-2013, 06:01 PM
Thank you :) It took me a few weeks to finish it, but mostly because we had a lot of discussion with the client about what to put or not in the map since we had many options at the start.

RobA
10-06-2013, 10:53 AM
Nice one, as usual!

46"x33"...... what resolution did you work at? at 300DPI that would be HUUUGE!

-Rob A>

- Max -
10-06-2013, 11:41 AM
Thanks Rob, this one was made at 150 DPI, which is enough for this kind of poster size.

kurtographer
10-06-2013, 02:29 PM
Beautiful artwork. A fine map! One thing I'd work on is your rivers. Near your Monts des Aigles mountains you have the same river exiting to two separate coastlines. Geography doesn't really work that way. Rivers start high up and gravity their way down to a single exit point.

- Max -
10-06-2013, 06:32 PM
Thanks :) As for the river you're talking about, there are actually several rivers (note that only a few are labeled - those who have some importance in the LARP world, according to client request), which are connected by some human-made channel (north western part of Monts des Aigles).

Eilathen
10-07-2013, 04:07 PM
Well, it's a Max ;) I like it but one clearly sees that this is an older work of yours. Not that it is bad, not at all...but it is not as refined as your newer works.

Steel General
10-07-2013, 05:00 PM
Nicely done...

- Max -
10-08-2013, 10:46 AM
Thanks guys
@ Eilathen : I agree, it's some kind of an old work but this style can definitely be refined.

Eilathen
10-08-2013, 12:42 PM
@ Eilathen : I agree, it's some kind of an old work but this style can definitely be refined.

Yes, sure. I didn't want to imply that it could not! In fact, i'd like to see a map in the refined version of this style!

- Max -
10-10-2013, 03:24 AM
I'm actually thinking on using it for the fantasy map part of the monthly challenge but not sure yet.