PDA

View Full Version : {WIP Commission} ScienceFantasy Continental Map

Schwarzkreuz
10-03-2013, 08:15 AM
Lately I have grown unsatisfied with my way of mapping, feeling something is lacking. So I went on start talking to some of the Guildmembers, whose maps I like. Its sometimes hard to except critics if you cant see, why its critisised but I slowly understand, when my inner barriers soften up. Now I think I am ready to work on new paths, and revision some old ways with new eyes.

After long hours or short feedbacks spend discussing maps with Ramah, Vorro, -Max-, Viking and Clercon, therefore I thank them for their contribution to my devellopement.

Here is a reuse of old elements (old...? only a few months) to create a new colorstyle for a commissioned Map.
I tried to blend in Mountains and terrain more and am happy with this painterly style and will devellop it more.

C&C welcome

- Max -
10-03-2013, 08:29 AM
Indeed, nice blending here, glad to see some advices are useful :) Looks like you started with some consistent style, looking forward to seeing the progress on it.

Clercon
10-03-2013, 08:37 AM
looks like a really good start!

aquarits
10-03-2013, 09:10 AM
Schwar its really nice.
I liked the transition btw the ice and the earth, if not ask for much, can you share how you did in this work? Some tips, coz i am working in one map that need the same transition.

Schwarzkreuz
10-03-2013, 09:18 AM
Basicly the transition is just done with a soft round eraser tool. Nö magic here.

aquarits
10-03-2013, 09:27 AM
i cant understand, i just cant do the color transition... i never did it before, that is why i cant undestand.

- Max -
10-03-2013, 09:42 AM
If I may... Use two background layers, erase one with a soft brush to make the transition with the one below.

Schwarzkreuz
10-03-2013, 12:48 PM
What Max saying is, the way I do that, but also lots of layers with textures and stuff. On very different Blending modes, and try masking for non destructive Mapping.

Schwarzkreuz
10-03-2013, 03:04 PM
Here is the implementation of the Forests.

Its hard to find teh righjt balance of size and flow, with theses. Its still icons of forests but so small the start to merge into a more solid forest.

vorropohaiah
10-04-2013, 03:07 AM
nice transition between the mountains and the land, but im not too keen on the gradient from blue to orange on the colour. it seems too stark and glaring. if its something the commissioner requested fair enough but otherwise id tone it down somewhat. looks too 'artificial' to me, if that makes any sense.

also, is there a particular reason why the arctic region has no white outer glow like the rest of the map? i quite like the glow.

you seem to be slowly veering from gritty to more cartoony maps. is this a concious choice>? perhaps i use the word cartoony incorrectly, but while techincally well-executed (better than i probably could) i think i prefer the style used on your cartographer's choice map, for instance, which is more gritty and 'realisitc'. of couse not all maps need to be the same, setting and other factors should determine that rather than 1 guys opinion but ive noticed this slow change over time and was just wondering if youre concious of it.

Diamond
10-04-2013, 03:45 AM
I actually quite like that blue/orange transition. I agree with vorro about the outer glow though; why didn't you put it around the northern bits?

I like the direction you're going with this; I think my only real issue is that the coasts seem... too plain? I don't know if I can explain what I mean correctly. On Jared Blando's recent Hyranden map, for example, he has a darker, thicker spattering effect along every coastline that helps balance all the mountains and stuff in the interior. While I like your mountains a lot, the coasts seem too pale and empty and open. Of course maybe you're planning to add all sorts of things in there, in which case I'll shut up now. :D

Schwarzkreuz
10-04-2013, 04:53 AM
@ Vorro: Well I don't hide the Truth. Colored Maps just sells better. This kind of style I develloping are strongly influenced by Torstan, EpicRed, Djekspek, -Max-, Viking and some others. Its not a sellout, at least for me. I was an am a Gamer first, loved early Square Soft Games like MysticQuest/Final Fantasy and Secret of Mana. Also, the old Zelda Games influenced me in a strong way. This all, in most iterations do have colorfull maps. There are two historical traditions I value:
Art-History
&
Game-History

And i wanted to mention the Southern Domain. Its the Direct successor to the Arden Map, or do you Not see it that way? I agree, the climate transition here is over the top, but within its Topology of Gaming Maps. I want to create several styles and still devellope my Blaeu inspired style within the Southern Domain.

@D.:
Yes I will work in the coasts, its not finished yet.

Sapiento
10-04-2013, 05:28 AM
I like the transition, it gives the map an interesting touch!

Schwarzkreuz
10-04-2013, 08:01 AM
Yes, I was inspired from some of your last Colored Regio maps too, regarding the tint of the Colors.

Eilathen
10-07-2013, 04:57 PM
Good to have you back, SK.

Not sure if i like your fancy-color style. I think you had a nice style of your own going before.
Can we please have a higher resolution so that we can zoom in? I'd like to take a closer look at the forests. The mountain shapes are very good, as always..even if i'm not too fond of the coloration.

Schwarzkreuz
10-07-2013, 08:36 PM
@Eilathen: Whats wrong with those colorstyle?

Thats one of my styles too. Its just that I dont want to purely do the same all time.