View Full Version : September/October 2013 Challenge: Arctic Coast

10-03-2013, 08:20 PM
So this is only my second map using software (specifically GIMP) only, and I'm still very much getting the hang of it. Mine is a map of a glacial/arctic coast, with not much explored beyond what amounts to a day's trip (~10-12 miles) inland. I'm somewhat eschewing going for any distinctive feeling in favor of learning the software; thus far, I've used RobA's tutorial extensively, along with the fractal coast one and the quick hand-drawn mountains one.

*** LATEST WIP ***


My biggest hurdle is finding a way to sort of smear out the backside of the mountains more, and give them the impression that they fade into the fog. I'll also be putting in a scale and grid and some scattered landmarks defined more by hearsay than actual cartography. Any and all advice is appreciated.

10-03-2013, 11:59 PM
*** LATEST WIP ***


Close to done. Probably going to add grid lines and a little bit of a legend.

10-04-2013, 02:08 AM
*** latest wip/final? ***


10-04-2013, 02:37 AM
Very cool idea, nice execution, good layout. I think it could have benefited from being a bit larger though. Also, why is that bit of text that says 'research mine' so blurry when everything else is crisp?

10-04-2013, 02:51 AM
I'm not sure, to be perfectly honest. I did move it around a bit more than the other ones. Perhaps GIMP was not a fan?

10-06-2013, 11:37 PM
### LATEST WIP ###


I spent a few minutes seeing if I could make the "Breck Rng. Research Mine" clearer. I think it was losing resolution when I rotated the text block because it was so small. To make it clearer, I wrote the text, then text to path, path to selection, moved and adjusted the selection into position, and then just filled it. Much crisper.

10-07-2013, 12:36 AM
looking good, just remember it is Latest WIP not Latest MAP to get your last map to show in the thumbnails. You had it right in the first 2 posts.

10-07-2013, 12:01 PM
Didn't realize it made a difference. Fixed it.

10-08-2013, 08:47 PM
Yep, that does look better; the text all seems in the same 'family' now, not like stuff added in at different times.