PDA

View Full Version : World of Balor by TheRedEpic

TheRedEpic
10-05-2013, 12:28 PM
Hey All,

I have reposted this map after some extensive work. I wasn't thrilled with the final product so i went back in an put some more hours to bring it up to snuff. I think its got a bit more cohesion in it now, and overall flows much better as a piece. Check it out!

*Edit- Now when you view it normally and zoom in, it appears as the size it should be. Originally, the detail shots were way too close and looked rather frightful.

***UPDATED MAP***

Thanks,
~J

- Max -
10-05-2013, 12:35 PM
As usual, great work Jared. Your compass is a gem and I love the details overall (not fond of the landmass shape but I guess it's not your part ;) and some odd overlapping buildings in the Vale, but this one looks pretty awesome zoomed out)

Lingon
10-05-2013, 12:37 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, but I actually like the low quality version better :P It looks more authentic to me. But awesome job either way :) The scripture along the border is really neat.

Schwarzkreuz
10-05-2013, 12:41 PM
I am realy amazed to see more of you.

EruSilme
10-05-2013, 02:23 PM
che figata pazzesca!

ehm, sorry, the italian inside is coming out... i think the correct translation is somewhere between COOOOL and "awesome" and "it blows my mind" :D
Maybe the only thing a little bit strange is the shape of central continent, but hey, who cares? :D

By the way, i really love this color scheme: it is not "realistic" or "historical", but i find it ... mh.
It's the "right one", i cannot explain.
I want to try something similar in the future...

Ilanthar
10-05-2013, 02:24 PM
Nice map and icons as usual !

I'm just wondering : have you tried a different style of background than your white texture (which is very good and makes out the elements very well)?

Veldehar
10-05-2013, 04:10 PM
The color scheme is very cool and different. Nice work.

TheRedEpic
10-07-2013, 02:11 AM
Hey Everyone, thanks so much for the comments!

However, this map kept nagging me with little niggling design errors and flaws, so i went back in a made plenty of adjustments on it to bring it up to snuff. Now when you view it normally and zoom in, it appears as the size it should be. Originally, the detail shots were way too close and looked rather frightful.

Hope you like the updated map and let me know any comments and such ;)
~J

galdre
10-07-2013, 04:07 PM
Very well done. I like the colors and the way you did the water.

Steel General
10-07-2013, 06:03 PM
Fantastic! But I would expect no less from you. :)

Viking
10-07-2013, 07:10 PM
This is quite a remarkable map! Very nice work Jared :)
I love the colour scheme and I'm a fan of the texture of the water! Although I do find the circles around the cities and the 'zoomed in area' a little unintuitive I think this is an excellent piece of work!

TheRedEpic
10-09-2013, 01:32 PM
Thanks guys, again i appreciate the comments! @/Viking- I do think some of the circular design elements can get a little in the way sometimes, but i placed them where i thought the cities and locations were and are most important to the setting, and i rather like them ;-P

I love a map that isn't straightforward, there are alot of maps done in the fantasy setting that are too exact, and if you think about it, most settings even with magic are far from exact. Leaving that inexact grey area in their and putting in unknown sigils and writing and notes from the cartographer makes a map more fun and authentic.

lesopeso
10-09-2013, 05:30 PM
very cool map! but just a question: is this the new map of "Shadow Era" the CCG? or you did just use the same names for locations?

TheRedEpic
10-09-2013, 07:34 PM
@Lesopeso - Yep, one in the same!

~Jared

Sharpes
10-13-2013, 11:15 PM
Nice map! :)

Just a couple of questions:
- How did you draw the icons/shapes in the water? (e.g. the centre right star-like shape)
- What texture did you use for the land masses and ocean(s)?

TheRedEpic
10-14-2013, 12:41 AM
@Sharpes- Thanks for your kind words:) As for the shapes in the water, their are a few brushes i have picked up in the last few years, and one such brush set has these fantastic geometric designs for use as stamps. They fit my work quite well, though i can't remember the name! I actually never use textures as backgrounds or layers to lay down in any of my work, i paint in everything using custom made splatter brushes that i have come up with. The lines in the water were also painted in via a 4-5 pronged brush that strokes according to the direction of the stylus i use on my Wacom. Hope i helped:)

~J

zavidos
10-19-2013, 09:19 AM
Great visual appearance, I run to search your other works