PDA

View Full Version : *** October Challenge - Map the Same Place Twice ***

arsheesh
10-07-2013, 03:31 PM
This month's challenge comes to us courtesy of Chashio:

Create TWO maps of ONE place, but they have to be different. This challenge is designed to make you branch out.

So, options:

Create TWO maps of ONE place from different physical perspectives.

Create TWO maps of ONE place in different styles (they must be different on a base level... you're not allowed to just change the color scheme or border details here).

Create TWO maps of ONE place using different mediums.

As per usual, include the following in your entry threads:

Title each new thread October 2013 Entry - <your title>

Precede each WIP image with the tag ### Latest WIP ###.

The challenge will end on or around the first of November, and the winner will receive a golden compass, an enviable accolade here at the Guild.

- Max -
10-07-2013, 06:53 PM
The theme could fit a project I have in mind but I'm not really sure : I'm planning to make a main map of a continent/world part (kind of a physical map using shaded reliefs) with at least one (maybe two) smaller maps of the same place on the side (a political map). This could enter the challenge?

Diamond
10-07-2013, 07:20 PM
I hope so, because that's exactly what I was thinking about doing.

- Max -
10-07-2013, 07:27 PM
haha let's start a lobby group ;)

arsheesh
10-07-2013, 09:05 PM
The theme could fit a project I have in mind but I'm not really sure : I'm planning to make a main map of a continent/world part (kind of a physical map using shaded reliefs) with at least one (maybe two) smaller maps of the same place on the side (a political map). This could enter the challenge?

I hope so, because that's exactly what I was thinking about doing.

What you guys are describing seems to fit the second option:

Create TWO maps of ONE place in different styles (they must be different on a base level... you're not allowed to just change the color scheme or border details here).

So feel free to do so.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

eViLe_eAgLe
10-07-2013, 09:33 PM
Alright, time to get started on this.

eViLe_eAgLe
10-07-2013, 11:04 PM
Might want to change the September to October. ;)

arsheesh
10-08-2013, 12:01 AM
Might want to change the September to October. ;)

Dah! And here I was thinking I had caught all of the needed changes this time. Thanks eVile E.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

vorropohaiah
10-08-2013, 10:13 AM
ah a map challenge i might actually take part in. very interesting!

RobA
10-08-2013, 03:18 PM
I immediately though of the Piers Anthony series starting with The Blue Adapt, where there are two parallel worlds, Proton and Phaze - one scientific, located on an airless planet, with folks living in domes, and the other magical - with a phase "curtain" that some folks can use to pass from one to the other...

Don't think I'll have time to enter this month, but that will be my entry if I do....

-Rob A>

Pilgrim
10-08-2013, 08:48 PM
What about terms of scale? Could you have one map of an area and then have another map of a subsection of that area?

Seraphine_Harmonium
10-08-2013, 10:34 PM
Oh goody! I like this one. Maybe I'll participate if I can get some time.

arsheesh
10-09-2013, 09:49 PM
What about terms of scale? Could you have one map of an area and then have another map of a subsection of that area?

We actually had a challenge based on just this idea a few years back. I'm not sure that that's what Chashio had in mind for this challenge though. What do others think about this?

Diamond
10-09-2013, 10:24 PM
Well, Chashio did say 'two maps of one place from two different physical perspectives'. ...Which could mean looking at the same terrain from different heights. I'd say it could work.

Pilgrim
10-09-2013, 10:35 PM
I mean, I'm fine with whatever. Two different perspectives usually means two different angles (in my mind at least), but then again it seems silly for that to just mean to simply reorient the labels (plus it goes against the rule about the same base layer).

Chashio
10-10-2013, 12:39 AM
My original idea for the physical perspective aspect of the challenge was based on viewing angle of the same place... I would likely have done two maps viewed at the same or similar scale for my bit. Feel free to interpret things however you'd like. Whatever you guys come up with for entries will be fantastic. I don't have time to enter and get enough sleep, but I'll enjoy seeing what everyone creates. Have fun with it :)

Diamond
10-10-2013, 12:58 AM
Bah, sleep is overrated. :D

arsheesh
10-10-2013, 01:27 AM
Pilgrim feel free to go ahead with your twin scaled map approach, as per usual it seems there is enough flexibility here to allow for different interpretations.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh