PDA

View Full Version : Ihmlán

Mowgli
07-13-2008, 08:07 PM
This is the world I've been working on for a fantasy genre campaign. I'll attach a PDF of the most complete 'view' of the map, and put a link to the CC3 file I'm working on. You'll have to extract the file to view the compass rose and cartouche, as they're custom symbols.

For reference, this is a spherical earth size world (25000 miles circumference) - I haven't put in a scale bar because I haven't found or designed one that I'm satisfied with for the map style.

Here's the link to the CC3 file: http://www.mediafire.com/?jzn3gzttgzy

There's a ton of 'extra' stuff on the CC3 file. I'm working on my hyperlink skills, and have put in buttons for Political & Geographical names, Altitude, Climate, Rainfall, and Temperature views (all of which you can get from Fractal Terrains, but I'm modifying them heavily - Temperature is the only one I haven't done anything with as yet). On the Climate view, I've put in additional hyperlinks: If you 'click' on the specific climate type in the bar the map will display only that climate, making it much easier to view the extents of that particular climate.

Eventual plans include hotlinks to 'gaming style' campaign maps, as well as hotlinks to specific regional maps - perhaps even to detailed maps of particular cities. Basically an interactive atlas for the entire world. What I lack in skill I more than make up for in ambition, I guess.

As always, I'm very much open to any questions, feedback or suggestions - this has been a learning experience so far and I want to keep going with that.

Sigurd
07-13-2008, 11:25 PM
Very nice. What is the scale?

Sigurd

Mowgli
07-14-2008, 12:08 AM
Thanks!

The world is 25000 miles circumference. Total land mass is around 35000000 square miles, so close to the size of North America, Asia, and Africa. Land mass is around 15000 miles east to west, 10000 miles north to south including the small islands in the far north.

Mowgli
08-09-2008, 10:04 AM
I added a scale bar, though something doesn't seem quite right about it - maybe the style doesn't fit the rest of the map? Anyone have a source for different styles for this map piece?

Also added more place names and refined the Altitude, Climate, Rainfall, and Temperature maps.

Any suggestions for refinement or changes are welcome!

Midgardsormr
08-09-2008, 08:40 PM
The scale bar contains colors that aren't found elsewhere in the image. My suggestion is to export the bar by itself and recolor it in Photoshop or the Gimp. I like to use the simple bar without a cartouche, explode it, and change the colors and font. That doesn't work with the fancier bars, though, since they're not vector objects.

SeerBlue
08-09-2008, 11:21 PM
I really like the names on this map, has a very celtic lilt to it, to me, though I don't know if that is your setting. One thing that jumps out at me is the fact you use a very stylized font on the map itself, which is great, I really like it, but the font for the scale bars is generic, takes a little of the continuity away from the maps flavour. Perhaps a different font would fit better for the scale bars.
All in all I really like it, the names give it, to me, a sense of its culture, even though I have no idea what it is. Really.
SeerBlue

Mowgli
08-10-2008, 06:23 AM
The scale bar contains colors that aren't found elsewhere in the image. My suggestion is to export the bar by itself and recolor it in Photoshop or the Gimp. I like to use the simple bar without a cartouche, explode it, and change the colors and font. That doesn't work with the fancier bars, though, since they're not vector objects.

Good eye, thanks! I think that's what was bothering me. Maybe replace the reds with something coser to the darker parchment colors from the cartouche and rose?

Mowgli
08-10-2008, 06:29 AM
I really like the names on this map, has a very celtic lilt to it, to me, though I don't know if that is your setting. One thing that jumps out at me is the fact you use a very stylized font on the map itself, which is great, I really like it, but the font for the scale bars is generic, takes a little of the continuity away from the maps flavour. Perhaps a different font would fit better for the scale bars.
All in all I really like it, the names give it, to me, a sense of its culture, even though I have no idea what it is. Really.
SeerBlue

The names are (very loosely translated) Irish Gaelic. The culture/setting has a slight Celtic feel to it, though my main purpose was just to give the world a consistent feel. I really like the sound of this language, the lilt as you said.

Thanks for the kind words and the suggestion for the font change - I hadn't even recognized that inconsistency.

Midgardsormr
08-10-2008, 05:07 PM
Good eye, thanks! I think that's what was bothering me. Maybe replace the reds with something coser to the darker parchment colors from the cartouche and rose?

Perhaps. I was actually looking at the mermaid in the rose and thinking you could try to match some of those colors. It wouldn't take too much tweaking to get close to that salmon color in her hair. A little desaturation, lightening, and perhaps just a touch of noise to match the pastels look.

Mowgli
08-10-2008, 06:32 PM
I think this is better - is it something like what you were talking about? I'm not really very good with Photoshop. I ended up sampling the color, filling the area, and then applying a sponge effect.

Mowgli
08-10-2008, 06:50 PM
One thing that jumps out at me is the fact you use a very stylized font on the map itself, which is great, I really like it, but the font for the scale bars is generic, takes a little of the continuity away from the maps flavour. Perhaps a different font would fit better for the scale bars.

Changed the font on the bars to the same as the rest of the map, and I think you were right - it looks much better! Any other suggestions?

landorl
08-13-2008, 10:56 AM
This latest version is quite nice to look at. You did a great job, and I like the naming convention that you used as well as the font.

Mowgli
08-13-2008, 12:44 PM
Thanks to Midgardsormr and SeerBlue for the very helpful suggestions and encouragement, and to landorl for the praise!

I guess I'll move these over to the Complete Maps thread!

Mowgli
08-13-2008, 11:12 PM
For some reason the Attachment Manager isn't working for me - is this happening to others right now as well? It could be my access I suppose, though I'm not having any trouble with other websites.

RobA
08-13-2008, 11:31 PM
Everything looks OK.

I just uploaded an attachment without problems, and your profile looks fine. What are you experiencing?

(Do you have a pop-up blocker that could be interfering?)

-Rob A>

Mowgli
08-13-2008, 11:36 PM
I do have a pop up blocker, but it hasn't ever interfered before and there's no notification now that it's activating. The window comes up, I can browse for the files just fine and I get a notification that it's uploading. But the upload just keeps going, and after a couple of minutes I get the 'Internet Explorer cannot access the page' message. Sounds like it's timing out, but I don't know why the files aren't uploading in time.

Mowgli
08-13-2008, 11:40 PM
Just succesfully uploaded the same jpg on ENWorld, which uses the same bulletin board format and attachment manager system. I'll try again here (posting a complete map).

Mowgli
08-13-2008, 11:45 PM
Still no joy - "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" is displayed in the Attachment Manager window, and the file doesn't upload.

Steel General
08-14-2008, 06:59 AM
Did you try clearing the cache in your browser? IE is infamous for keeping "junk". Or switch over to Firefox.

torstan
08-14-2008, 07:09 AM
What are the dimensions, format and filesize of the image? There's an upper limit over here that might not be the same over on enworld. That might be scuppering you.

Nice map btw!

Mowgli
08-14-2008, 08:30 AM
It's a .jpeg, 9450 x 4833, and 3.37 MB. The dimension max isn't listed in the Manager, but the filesize is well within the limits. I'll try reducing the resolution this evening and see if that helps.

I clear the cache regularly. I've got a friend who recommends Firefox highly as well. IE is the devil I know . . . but I keep meaning to give Firefox a try. :)

torstan
08-14-2008, 08:41 AM
And we have a winner! The dimensions limit is 30 megapixels in total - and yours comes in around 45 Mp. Drop the res a little and you should have no problem uploading it.

Mowgli
08-14-2008, 09:44 AM
Awesome! Look for it in the Finished Maps thread this evening, then!

Thanks for the help!