PDA

View Full Version : October 2013 Entry - The Hidden City of Kamantou

Djekspek
10-16-2013, 10:47 AM
Hi guys, it's been sooo long since I did the challenge... way too long. But really need to get away from commissions a bit and had some ideas for developing a new city-map style... and what better practise than doing the CG challenge :)....

The city is located in the jungle, hidden in a mountain pass. Obviously inspired by Rivendell.. I hope I get the shading right so you really get this feel of this, but let see how it works out... The 2nd map will be a side view showing a bit more of the height-difference, and architecture of the city...

First step... lineworks

### Latest WIP ###

eViLe_eAgLe
10-16-2013, 10:53 AM
ergh
All my motivation will be gone if I keep seeing these great maps from contenders.

Domino44
10-16-2013, 11:50 AM
Wow, that's really cool. I love the style, and your idea for the second map is awesome too! I cannot wait to see it finished.

Schwarzkreuz
10-16-2013, 12:34 PM
Wow, nice to see you back mapping, DJ!

Djekspek
10-16-2013, 01:50 PM
thanks guys :) And @eVile, your start with the mountains look really good, so I hope you will keep up the spirit. I always see these challenges as a learning thing, where you can try out things and see if you get somewhere ... @Swartzkreuze: thanks :) I was already mapping again for some time but been busy with commissions only, and needed a little break from that :)

Djekspek
10-16-2013, 02:25 PM
linework finished (more or less). The houses are not very organized as I figured the builders had to take geographical features and the jungle into account. I tried to 'stack' the buildings against the hillside and hope my shading will make it look like a real vally.. so now for the real experiment to make it look good :)

### Latest WIP ###

arsheesh
10-16-2013, 02:56 PM
Great to see you back DJ, and I'm very much looking forward to watching this map develop.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

RjBeals
10-16-2013, 04:30 PM
oh sweet - another DJ creation coming our way!

Dain
10-16-2013, 04:53 PM
Oh oh, I believe this topic is going to be a must read very soon.
Good luck contestants, DJ is in the place :-O
I'll be around watching anyway!

Sapiento
10-17-2013, 01:27 AM
Cool to see you back, DJ!

- Max -
10-17-2013, 03:26 AM
Looking nice DJ!

EruSilme
10-17-2013, 04:21 AM
wow, this is a nice one!
I am also curious about more details on the city: who are the inhabitants? The city buildings have an interesting look, with a lot of curved shapes, and the domes remember me vaguely middle-eastern samples (sure, there were a lot of domes also in the Rivendell of the LOTR film)

Djekspek
10-17-2013, 03:04 PM
Thanks guys, I hope I can make this look good but let see how it turns out...

The rendering went pretty fast (I may do another pass to give more depth but it's about what I had in mind). With the values done, coloring should be easy. And than adding some ornaments, a good background story (thanks @EruSilme for some thought I can use for that :) After that labeling and post-processing. I'm gonne finish this one for sure this month :)

### Latest WIP ###

Dain
10-17-2013, 03:16 PM
This is absolutely stunning! How you can gives so much life so easily is beyond my understanding.
I think I dislocated my jaw :o

Now, I'm waiting for the next step ... oh my oh my :roll:

Schwarzkreuz
10-17-2013, 03:46 PM
This is absolutely stunning! How you can gives so much life so easily is beyond my understanding.
I think I dislocated my jaw :o

Same here. Did you do more map related commis the last half year? Havent seen so much on your Website this year.

Diamond
10-17-2013, 04:28 PM
Oh wow. That is magnificent. As if Max hadn't already crushed my will to live, now I see this. :D

Stunning. Keep it up.

- Max -
10-17-2013, 05:05 PM
Awesome! I like the coloring job on it. Though I must admit I'm a bit confused to spot the locations of the top down view on the side view :D Guess the labelling will help.

Djekspek
10-18-2013, 12:26 PM
Thanks guys, isn't it amazing what a little value can do ;) And good thing is that the eye is easily fooled with the illusion of detail :) @Max I can see your point, I added some lines in my latest wip to show what I had in mind, although the view is not perfect I wanted to show both the idea of a valley and the way architecture would be, so this is what came up with... Anyway, below the colored version and already some postprocessing done....

Oh and Schwartzkreuz, I have been doing some mapping lately, but cannot show a lot (yet)...

### Latest WIP ###

Schwarzkreuz
10-18-2013, 09:19 PM
Great work, and unbeliebable fast too! I realy should get into city mapping, still havent One done.

Djekspek
10-19-2013, 04:09 PM
Well, the amount of houses is rather small for this one. Citymapping is for me usually more work then regional or worldmaps. I had to spend quite some hours getting the values right but once you nail the flow it can be done pretty fast. And once you have the values, coloring is really not too much work. I added labels, ornaments and a little background story... Guess I'm gonne call this one, euh ... two, finished...

### Latest WIP ###

- Max -
10-19-2013, 05:03 PM
Very nice work DJ :) (you have a typo in the left side description "amd" instead of "and")

Djekspek
10-19-2013, 06:03 PM
oops thanks :) and found another one as well....

### Latest WIP ###

Larb
10-20-2013, 12:43 PM
This is wonderful. I love the colouring on it.

Ilanthar
10-20-2013, 02:19 PM
Wow, I can't decide what I love the most between the colouring, the concept, the drawing and the border !

arsheesh
10-21-2013, 05:27 PM
Another masterful piece DJ. Great to see you in action again.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Bogie
10-30-2013, 01:15 PM
Wonderful, Wonderful, Wonderful!

Did i mention Wonderful?

EricPoehlsen
10-31-2013, 02:18 AM
Wow! What more to say, it is a great piece of map-art.

Riasaakshi
10-31-2013, 04:02 PM
Beautiful, love the mixed styles of roof all bound together by that copper blueish colouring...