PDA

View Full Version : Gilband - New WIP

Llannagh
10-16-2013, 04:27 PM
I thought I'd do another map including water to get my bearings stylewise. So I came up with this:

I personally think this is my best effort so far. It includes prototypes of rivers and towns and roads.

Shoot away! There's still a lot to tweak, I know.

Edit: the road is still handdrawn, I forgot how to set curved paths to stroke. Can anyone help my poor old brain?

Lingon
10-16-2013, 04:45 PM
Dude, you're making insane progress! Compare this to the first pic in your previous WIP! Inspirational, truly, and since I haven't repped you yet, it's about time.

This new map is looking interesting, the mountain style you've come up with is really great. Looking forward to following this.

Azelor
10-16-2013, 04:53 PM
The mountains look really good as the general aspect of the map. But the background is too blurry for my taste.

Domino44
10-17-2013, 10:00 AM
I also love your mountains! I really want to see this finished, great job so far.

Llannagh
10-18-2013, 03:26 PM
Dude, you're making insane progress! Compare this to the first pic in your previous WIP! Inspirational, truly, and since I haven't repped you yet, it's about time.

This new map is looking interesting, the mountain style you've come up with is really great. Looking forward to following this.

Thanks a lot! It's my newfound passion, I work on it every day if I can.

The mountains look really good as the general aspect of the map. But the background is too blurry for my taste.

I hear you! I wasn't too satisfied with the background myself, so I tried something with a different brush (see below). Still needs tweaking, but there might be something to it.

I also love your mountains! I really want to see this finished, great job so far.

Thanks to you too! I want to see this finished, too... but it'll be a long way to go.

Anyway, a small update:

Some more work on the mountains, a background tweak and a forest variation for maybe darker, gloomier areas.

Viking
10-18-2013, 07:19 PM
Fantastic improvement in regards to mountains!!

Llannagh
11-07-2013, 12:50 PM
In case you wondered, I haven't given up on this. :)

I find myself still searching for a style. I really like the above and I want to finish it some day, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to do hills. I also do not find a way of doing a satisfiying background. As you can imagine, fiddling around and not making any progress can get really frustrating. So I tried yet another thing.
It's a bit like a comic-book-style, but I like it so far.

So while I work on my general feeling for colours and shading to finish the above style, I will occasionally continue to do a map in this style. Just to satisfy my mapping-urges. ;)

I'd still be happy about input on my newest endeavours, though!

madbird-valiant
11-07-2013, 06:24 PM
Man you have a thing for mountains, huh. Those are beautiful.

Llannagh
11-09-2013, 08:53 AM
Thanks madbird. It'S not so much that I have thing for mountains as that it took me quit a while how to do them. And now i can't stop trying different styles! ;)

I worked a little more on the comic style map:

I'm not sure about the foresty midrange mountains to the east. I think they do the exact thing i intended, but do not fit the rest of the map. Again. Hm. I'll try to implement that into the other map.

Lingon
11-09-2013, 03:55 PM
Good to see you're back working on this! I think the foresty mountains will fit in great if you make the rest of the map similarly forested.

Llannagh
11-11-2013, 01:52 PM
So I tried some different brushes for my comicstyle map and found something I could use for my original map.

This feels very good. I might have to redo the mountains with that new brush, maybe, but I wouldn't mind that. So, here it is:

Failtality
11-11-2013, 02:46 PM
This progress looks really great! I am always impressed at folks who can paint their entire map because I never seem to have the patience to do it. I love the attention to detail that you're going for.

Llannagh
11-13-2013, 09:47 AM
A new update on my latest progress.

madbird-valiant
11-16-2013, 07:28 PM
It looks fantastically hand-done. Good work!

Caenwyr
11-18-2013, 09:31 AM
It looks fantastically hand-done. Good work!
I fully agree with madbird - and that's exactly why I'd like to point out the all-too computery coastlines. Perhaps you could blur those a bit in order to suit the rest of your style? All in all I really love where this is going!

Falconius
11-18-2013, 09:46 AM
He could do that or he could trace them with different brushes and colours. Paint them in like he painted the mountains.

Llannagh
11-20-2013, 03:10 PM
Another update.

I haven't had much time lately, but I'm still working on it.
I added some mountains to the south (not all finished yet) and continued to paint in the general landscape. I also used a darker colour to define the shapes, if somewhat eradically.

Regarding the "digital" coastline: I deleted the outlining layer, that might have caused that specific look. When I'll put the finishing touches to the map, I plan on making the whole map as consistent as possible, anyway.

Speaking of finishing touches: I realized the other day that the world map won't fit my background story and needs a lot of redoing. So even if this is a local map, I regard this as my training map so it might have to change again. Read "will be redone entirely". But I want to at least finish one map before working on another. Also, right now the way I'm working on this is all over the place, there's no specific order to what I'm doing and when I'm doing it.

Still, I feel quite satisfied with what I'm doing here.

Oh, and one more thing: you guys rock! I already learned so much from your critique, it's a real pleasure!

Llannagh
11-21-2013, 12:04 PM
I fooled around again today and tried some different brushes. Found a much better one than the one I used so far, which would make the whole process of drawing a lot simpler. Looky here:

With that brush I had a go at the map:

All the stuff on the right is done with it plus I worked a little on the water.

So, despite everything I said in my last post, I'm gong to start a new map, and I want to do it right from the start this time.

Lingon
11-21-2013, 04:45 PM
Hm, too bad you won't finish this, but I'm sure your next will be even better! I'm looking forward to it :)

Llannagh
11-21-2013, 04:50 PM
I didn't say I'm not going to finish this! I just said that I didn't want to start a new map before finishing this! ;)

Lingon
11-21-2013, 04:56 PM
Oh, right, sorry! All good then :D

Llannagh
11-24-2013, 08:55 AM
So, despite my new project, I keep on working on this. It's mostly quite subconsciously detailing the background whilst I let my mind wander. Gives me inspiration for refined techniques, sometimes.

I tried some different ways to do mountians again, but I'm not too satisfied. Might just be I had the best thing going already. Nonetheless I left the three tryouts in the map, so you guys can turn them to shreds! ;)

Here we go:

Lingon
11-25-2013, 10:24 AM
I like all those mountains. You could probably use all styles together, they look quite coherent (except for the lines on the ridges of the the top two).

Llannagh
11-27-2013, 03:53 PM
For consistency's sake I redid the main mountain ranges in the middle. Going to add some more mountains in the south in this same (then hopefully more refined) style. It's a little easier to do mountains this way. Also did more background work to the east and southeast. Lots of work, but fun...

Llannagh
12-01-2013, 08:30 AM
Did a lot of tweaking, re-doing mountains, re-doing areas, etching out details, adding small things etc. It's subtle, but I feel the map slowly progresses to something that'll be consinstent stylewise. Sticking with it helped me a lot with finding and refining that style.

There you go:

So i guess it's soon time to think about labels and hoe to do settlements and roads, maybe kingdom borders. I'm not sur if I should stick with my symbol-esque style for settlements. So, any suggestions, anyone?

Thanks for watching and tune in next time! ;)

Daelin
12-01-2013, 09:15 AM
This looks very promising. The mountains look really nice and generally, you really have depth in the land. There are some things that could do with some work. First, the land looks very green, even the same shade of green. Playing around with different hues might help distinguish one area from the other. Also, the coastlines are rather jagged and don't really mesh well with the water. The tree symbols look good, except maybe when they get too clumped. Here also, a slight variantion in color might help. Personally, I'd go with the symbol-based labels, something that doesn't clash too much the backdrop.

Any, keep up the good work.