PDA

View Full Version : [WIP] World of Eldoran

Ilanthar
10-22-2013, 02:50 PM
A bit tired of my syfy maps, I'm digging up an old personnal project with the strong intent to improve it (I borrowed the excellent Lythian continent of Kelestia for those who know it).

As for now, I've mainly redone the mountains & colors. I like this new version but I'm sure that some of you could have some good ideas or suggestions.

Viking
10-23-2013, 12:00 AM
Nice work so far Ilanthar! I am sure finishing this old project will feel great :)

I generally quite like the direction you are going with this. My only complaint might be that some of the landmasses are a little too similar in size and shape. The colouration is pretty good!

I am not sure how you accomplished the elevation but if I might suggest something regarding it I would say that you should consider having more areas are that not just mountains and have wider areas of medium elevation and make some of your ranges not be all equally high. Currently is feels like your landmass is either close to sea level or is a mountain though I see you do have some hills. Some land masses in the real world slope gently over long distances. Check out these cross sections of different landmasses (http://randomconnections.com/elevation-profiles-in-google-earth/). Obviously they are exaggerated for readability but you can see what I mean I hope :)

Otherwise, keep up the good work!
Cheers!
-Viking

Ilanthar
10-23-2013, 09:17 AM
Thanks for your comment !

By Viking
the landmasses are a little too similar in size and shape
Ah? I'm a bit surprised. I agree for the similar sizes, but for the shapes, I didn't have that feeling. Anyway, the fantasy setting is done since too much time for a change...

By Viking
I am not sure how you accomplished the elevation
I've walked a strange path to get those mountains... It's the result of a test. On my old map, I did the mountains with wilbur (not the usual way to my mind). So I took them and apply an effect in Inkscape ("liquid drawing") cause I wanted something more like "level lines" (the setting is not easy to date, but the closest is "victorian").
The result was this but with a lot of "noise" in the plains and and almost flat lands... So I cleaned it up to get something close to my purpose.

I'm gonna see if I can do something to get something less "abrupt" and with a more "natural feeling" as you said.

- Max -
10-23-2013, 09:45 AM
The shapes looks fine though I'm not a big fan of those mountains, also the digital effect is a bit too obvious.

Ilanthar
10-23-2013, 10:46 AM
Thanks,

I'm waiting the result of a test in wilbur (which requires clearly a lot of time on my computer...).

Any idea to make it less obvious?

Azelor
10-23-2013, 04:00 PM
Mountains in Wilbur ... to make it less obvious you could tone the shadow down or apply some blurry effect. But for that, you might have to use something else.

Ilanthar
10-23-2013, 05:46 PM
Yes, I'm far for being efficient with Wilbur, so I'll rework it with other softwares.

I've already tried some blurry effect... with no convincing results. But tone the shadows down could have some results, so, thanks for the idea!

Ilanthar
10-24-2013, 07:00 AM
And here is a result with weaker shadows (and without fading the mountains too much). I think I like it better actually.
A few more rivers too.

Psylence
10-24-2013, 02:55 PM
The continents have a nice look to them - though very Earth if you squint a little. To me it almost feels like an earth that disintegrated(Did you catch Boba Fett hanging out near your globe? ;) I kid, I quite like it. ) A lot of your land seems flatter than it should be. For instance, that continent in the top left, I keep expecting to see hills or some elevation changes between the mountain ranges. The rivers are a nice touch and seem about right, but I still think for those mountains you could use some more smudging/fading/gradient-ing(I don't think that's a word, but I'm gonna run with it like a kid with scissors) of the shadows to sell it.

Ilanthar
10-24-2013, 03:18 PM
Well, no Boba Fett, Eldoran is more close to the world of Bas-Lag (if you know China Mieville and Perdido Street Station) : strange technology & magic.
But you're right somehow : a kind of cataclysm happened a few centuries before this map and it was a kind of a great war against the "astrals" (supposed to be from the outer world, so Boba is not far :D)

Well, I know for the flat lands, you're the second with Viking to pointed it out, so... I guess I'll have more work than expected!

Psylence
10-24-2013, 03:32 PM
Well, no Boba Fett, Eldoran is more close to the world of Bas-Lag (if you know China Mieville and Perdido Street Station) : strange technology & magic.
But you're right somehow : a kind of cataclysm happened a few centuries before this map and it was a kind of a great war against the "astrals" (supposed to be from the outer world, so Boba is not far :D)

Well, I know for the flat lands, you're the second with Viking to pointed it out, so... I guess I'll have more work than expected!

Sounds like an interesting setting. You know, if you're working on it in Photoshop or comparable, try just slapping down a pattern overlay with a reduced size and opacity in some of those areas as that should break up the flat enough. Of course, if you're going a bit more for a flatter look - a map that's trying to single out mountains and rivers as major landmarks - try boosting the layer (a little) to make it look like it's printed on "Ye Ol' Paper"/Animal Skin/Papyrus/Grass/Fungi(I should try fungus paper sometime...) and that might put you more on track.

Viking
10-24-2013, 07:36 PM
Thanks for your comment !

Ah? I'm a bit surprised. I agree for the similar sizes, but for the shapes, I didn't have that feeling. Anyway, the fantasy setting is done since too much time for a change...

It only bothered me very very slightly and more the size and spacing of things but it is definitely a matter of personal taste! I should have stressed the mildness of my critique more :)

Thank you for explaining your process by the way!

Ilanthar
10-26-2013, 10:32 AM
You're welcome Viking!

I'm having some problems to improve those mountains! So, I've worked on one continent (the northwestern one).
After a lot of tests, this is the more satisfying imo. But I'm not sure to prefer it... What do you think of it? I really need comments on that before working on the rest of the map!

Psylence
10-27-2013, 12:41 PM
You're welcome Viking!

I'm having some problems to improve those mountains! So, I've worked on one continent (the northwestern one).
After a lot of tests, this is the more satisfying imo. But I'm not sure to prefer it... What do you think of it? I really need comments on that before working on the rest of the map!

Personally, I think it looks nicer and it definitely breaks up the ground; however, if you don't prefer it - if you have a different vision - then go with yours! Critique is only just that, in the end it's your creation, your imagination, and that's what's more important. :)

Ilanthar
10-28-2013, 04:02 PM
Thank you Psylence!

What I meant is that I can't decide by myself, so other opinions are very helpful! I'm gonna keep it I think, and at least, give it a try on the whole map !

DZFaeley
10-28-2013, 05:22 PM
i really like it! it looks a bit cartoony/watery, but not in an unpleasant way if that makes sense. IMO it's nicer and more interesting than the original.

Ilanthar
10-29-2013, 05:21 PM
Thanks DZFaeley. The "watery" look makes senses because I used a "liquid drawing" filter.

So, here is the entire world with that improvement. It's a bit different according to the continents/regions, and I'll need to correct the course of some rivers.
What do you think of it?

Ilanthar
11-05-2013, 03:21 PM
I'm quite busy but try to keep working on this one. So, the rivers are now added! Next will be probably cities/borders.

arsheesh
11-05-2013, 03:28 PM
This is coming along nicely Ilanthar!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Ilanthar
11-13-2013, 01:13 PM
Thanks arsheesh!

The map with borders and some labels.
I'm trying a few things... and I see that I won't be able to put all the informations together on one map (as for the old map). So, this one is the geographical map, with only the big cities (over 500,000 inhabitants) and important features. I'll do a separate political map.

Ilanthar
11-15-2013, 06:52 AM
I'm labelling mountains and some geographical regions. And the best I got so far is just below. Do you find it easy to read?
I gave a try for the political map : fading by half the mountains and adding borders, towns and coloring the big political entities.

- Max -
11-15-2013, 10:33 AM
Mountains labels are fine but could be more legible. The font has probably its own flavor but it's not the easiest to read. Maybe try to increase opacity of the light color outer glow to see how it goes?

Irbis
11-15-2013, 10:43 AM
i have a mixed feelings about this using both sketchy and emboss mountains techniques at once.
It kind a disturbs the perspective - i have hard time trying to figure out, should i look at this as a top-down or isometric.
Beside that - i love everything else :)

Ilanthar
11-15-2013, 01:10 PM
Thanks for your comments!

I'm gonna do a few tests, using black letters for a start. I wasn't really convinced by myself about those labels anyway. What about the cities names? I found that easier to read, but maybe I'm fooling myself...

Irbis, I've done a lot of experiments before those mountains. And I'm quite glad of it now. But I understand your feeling. The most important is to figure out the big "mountains ranges", the rest does not really matter.
Plus, the world is quite "post-apocalyptic" in its own way, the new nations are "re-discovering" the world, largely changed in some areas. Thus, they don't have a precise data on the inner lands and mountains.

Ilanthar
11-16-2013, 10:36 AM
And a test with black letters and a white glow slightly more present (and a few more labels). What do you think of it? It's seems more easy to read to me.

DZFaeley
11-16-2013, 03:49 PM
oh yes, much easier to read! i really love the font, too.

Psylence
11-16-2013, 04:10 PM
Wow! That's looking great Ilanthar! Nice work! I'm digging the terrain combined with your effects.

As far as your labels(probably gonna butcher the names):
Surda
Raltavh Kalka
Montagnes Edormies
Montagnes Blues
Scythl Morae
Clymir Morae
Ibechi
Lidon

Those names are a bit hard to read. They're sometimes a bit too dark or muddled into the backdrop of your world. It's a nice start, but I think you might need to work on the text a bit more. I think you might want to choose a different color for your cities, or some other way to make them pop out, as(once or twice) there have been letters that pick up tails, tops, etc, from the background which has a color very similar(l and d in Ildefan for reference); however there are also times where the background is too dark and the part of the letter is lost(see h in Ilbechi).

Ilanthar
11-17-2013, 09:12 AM
Thanks guys!

Psylence, you are just confirming my doubts on the matter. I wasn't sure that everything was easy to read (when you know the names, you know what you're looking for, so...). Thanks to point out those who are difficult!
I think I'm gonna try to position it better or reinforce the outer glow. As for the cities, yes, the color was intended to makes it pop out. I think I'm gonna try a different font here.

DZFaeley
11-17-2013, 12:10 PM
O.o i didn't even notice the red names... like, at all! i thought it was just the black, which is countries? -_- i am so observant.

but at the same time, i guess that also proves how difficult it was to see XD.

Ilanthar
11-18-2013, 02:08 PM
Well, yes :) I didn't think it was so difficult to read the cities... But again, I know what I'm looking for, so, your advices are precious.

Here is a different test, mainly on the cities names. I have just moved a little some names Psylence mentionned, but it was quite hard to do better.
If it's still not easy to read, I'll probably try to reinforce the outer glow.

Ilanthar
11-23-2013, 02:58 PM
Finally, I think I'm gonna go with those fonts... I wasn't really happy with the previous one used for regions : the "L" wasn't distinct enough of the "I" when curved.
Hope you'll agree with me... I'm gonna keep working on it but would be glad to progress on that one !

- Max -
11-23-2013, 03:38 PM
I agree this font is more legible than the previous one. Now I would try some sea labels font that is more consistent with the one you just picked.

Diamond
11-23-2013, 04:59 PM
That is looking great! I LOVE that mountain technique. As far as the font for the ocean names, I've got to disagree with Max; I think what you've got now gives things a nice contrast without seeming unnatural.

Ilanthar
11-24-2013, 10:44 AM
Thank you guys!

Unfortunately, you're not much of an help with your two different point of view ;)
So, I'm gonna keep labelling the lands with those fonts. And for the seas, I think that the smaller and curved labels for the bays, gulfs and other smaller parts will decide if this font is to be kept or not.

DZFaeley
11-24-2013, 03:01 PM
on the ocean font: i really love it. the fancy bits are lovely, but as they get smaller they start to look less like part of the letters, and more like misplaced lines or something. if there's a version of the font without the extra flourishes, i'd use that for the smaller areas like bays and such.

although, if there's a way to make the flourishes more prominent without losing their delicacy or causing them to be overpowering, then that may work too. i know some fonts have a bold version, and if that isn't the one you're using, and it's available, maybe it would be a better choice?

it's a really gorgeous font, and i really like it. but the smaller it gets, the messier it appears because you're not able to see the full effect of the really delicate parts of the flourishes.

Ilanthar
11-25-2013, 05:29 AM
Yes, you're right DZFaeley. I'm not sure a bold version would solve this, though.

As it's likely to be worse with the smaller and curved labels, I'll probably use another font.

Psylence
11-25-2013, 12:06 PM
I see both sides of it. It's a beautiful font, it does contrast and makes the names of the seas pop; however, it's not consistent. It seems almost as if your one fonts is clean, and on the paper perfectly. Theeeen you have the oceans which meld into the water color(awesome idea and good execution), and looks weathered because it looks to be set on multiply, combined with the fact that the letters aren't perfectly written like your others(little jaggedity bits on the letters due to multiple pen strokes, etc). It's a contrast, and the style of the font is awesome, but I think you might want to change one or the other. I would say use a more calligraphy/hand-written looking font for all of them, or a more clean-edged font for your oceans. As always, just my opinion and it should always be taken with a grain of salt(maybe some broccoli to put the salt on, a little butter and some Parmesan?), your style and what you feel is best is always more important.

Also, the shadows on those mountain ranges are still impacting the legibility a bit. Maybe try boosting the outer glow just a smiiiidge more? See how it looks. Not saying it's the answer, or that it's right, but a bit more of an outline about those letters to stop rivers and shadows from eating them would be nice. Stupid question but, is your rivers layer under or over your labels? That could be the answer right there. =)

Ilanthar
11-26-2013, 04:18 AM
By Psylence
I would say use a more calligraphy/hand-written looking font for all of them, or a more clean-edged font for your oceans.

Well, that's exactly where I stood yesterday. After a few tests, I changed the "seas" font for a hand-written but clean-edged font. I'll posted it next, but I think it looks good.
As for the mountains labels : I don't want to hide the mountains too much, so, I'm just trying to put the labels the best I can.

Questions are never stupid ;) I like to quote the proverb "One who ask a question looks a fool during five minutes. One who doesn't ask is a fool all his life".
And the answer is : the rivers are under the labels.

Ilanthar
11-26-2013, 10:09 AM
And Here is the map with more moutains/regions labelled and the new maritime labels.

Ouch! It will be difficult to post the finished map... Its already reaching the size limits.

Freodin
11-26-2013, 11:05 AM
Could you try changing the cartouche to the same style you used for the compass roses? And will you add some kind of border?

Hm... or perhaps not. The map already exceeds the allowed awesomeness level.

;)

Lingon
11-26-2013, 11:44 AM
Wow Ilanthar, this is epic! I have no idea why I haven't commented here before, it's extremely cool! I love the colors and shapes, and the detail level and size is very, very impressive :) The cartouche is gorgeous too.

If I'd have any criticism to give, it'd be that the mountain labels seem to be identical to nation labels except for the slightly smaller size, which is a little confusing to someone with rusty french ;) And many of your sea labels could curve to harmonize with the land shapes more, I think.

Eilathen
11-26-2013, 01:42 PM
I also very much dig this project. Well done, Ilanthar.

Have some Rep.!

Ilanthar
11-26-2013, 03:19 PM
Thanks a lot for your comments!
The map is already far much better thanks to your advices!

@ Freodin : my original idea was a 6300x4200 px, so with enough place above and under the map to put borders. But I planned also to put all informations in one map, and it's just revealed impossible (for the file size as for the sanity of the reader :D). So I'll do a political map. I haven't completely given up the idea of putting borders though.

@Lingon : you're very welcome, I'm also making happy discoveries in the guild! The labels are for mountains & geographic regions (no nations here)
I used the same font because those are both geographic features and because I have hard time to find a good font for this map! Maybe I should add some details like "desert" or "plateau", but a lot of them are just global regions (like "central europe" or "siberia").
And I'm gonna try to improve the sea labels.

Ilanthar
11-30-2013, 01:24 PM
New update with all labels for this map (a little bit reduced). Finally, I added a little and very simple border.
@Lingon :
many of your sea labels could curve to harmonize with the land shapes more, I think While adding the last labels, I was thinking I didn't really catch your meaning. Are you talking about regional labels like "Archipel des Yaskin" or ocean & seas labels?

And here is my base map for the political version. I'll probably put shields/flags above.
I faded a little bit the mountains and change the color of the seas to obtain an better general look (as the lands are less colored). What do you think of it?

- Max -
11-30-2013, 02:13 PM
I think that I prefer the political map :p Good job.

Diamond
11-30-2013, 02:47 PM
That looks pretty amazing! I think I like the political map better too, but only because that kind of look appeals the most to me. The physical map is looking great too; like I said before, I love that mountain technique.

And I do have to admit, this new ocean font is more legible, but I still liked the look of the other one better...

Lingon
11-30-2013, 03:16 PM
I was talking about oceans, seas, bays etc. I did a quick paintover on a section of the map to show what I meant, I hope you don't mind! The red lines are how I'd curve/straighten out the text, basically I just tried to make it flow with the coastlines more, and in a couple of spots I made it horizontal to match some other horizontal labels you have, which I like.

But yeah, this is an extremely minor thing and you might not even agree with my suggestions, and overall, Eldoran looks completely amazing :)

Ilanthar
12-01-2013, 11:47 AM
Thanks!

My guess is that you prefer colors less vivid than those on the geographical map ;)
The blue of the seas was too strong compared to the political borders, and that's the main reason for the changes. In fact, I think I'm gonna prefer the political map too... And that's gonna be certain if I can put all the informations I intend on it!

By Lingon
But yeah, this is an extremely minor thing and you might not even agree with my suggestions
A bit in the middle. I completely agree with a lot of your suggestions (for the ocean and most of the bays). Some seas "borders" like the "Mer Eméane" required this orientation for the label.
The visual aid is gonna be very useful! Did you note other improvements on the rest of the map labels?

Lingon
12-01-2013, 11:51 AM
Glad you found it helpful to some degree :D I didn't note anything on the rest of the map, but I'll take a look if you want :)

DZFaeley
12-01-2013, 03:56 PM
I was talking about oceans, seas, bays etc. I did a quick paintover on a section of the map to show what I meant, I hope you don't mind! The red lines are how I'd curve/straighten out the text, basically I just tried to make it flow with the coastlines more, and in a couple of spots I made it horizontal to match some other horizontal labels you have, which I like.

But yeah, this is an extremely minor thing and you might not even agree with my suggestions, and overall, Eldoran looks completely amazing :)

i noticed this as well. it really only felt weird to me for the Archipel des Zechalar. the islands have a beautiful curve, and the label feels more stiff in comparison.

Ilanthar
12-03-2013, 01:52 PM
Thanks for your help. The map with the corrections of Lingon & DZFaeley.
Hope you'll like it.
And I think I'm gonna go with those kind of shields on the top of the political map.

Ilanthar
12-05-2013, 12:41 PM
I'm working on the political map right now. I just finished the shields as you can see below.

I have troubles for labels... Too numerous I fear. Would you lowered the number of cities? What I previous can be seen on the right part of the map : smaller cities are 10,000 inhabitants, and I think I should remove it except for regional capitals OR leave the symbols but with no labels... What do you think?

And if someone knows a good way to put administrative regions names without interfering with cities names, I would be glad to read it...

Lingon
12-05-2013, 12:50 PM
Sea labels look perfect now! The political map is awesome, I really can't say which variant I like better, the political or the main map. Though I think the shields are just a tiny bit to brightly colored. As for the city labels, I would probably have chosen to not show the smallest cities. Leaving the dots but not writing their names could make it look like you forgot to label them ;)

- Max -
12-05-2013, 01:11 PM
I agree with Lingon on both points, shields bright colors and smallest cities.

And if someone knows a good way to put administrative regions names without interfering with cities names, I would be glad to read it...

Play with kerning to avoid overlapping.

WillyWombat
12-05-2013, 06:07 PM
Maps like yours make me see how far I still have to go. Beautiful!

Ilanthar
12-06-2013, 09:30 AM
Thanks WillyWombat! Honestly, I've come a long way myself, and mainly thanks to the guild!

An correction on the shields, after your good consels :). I think it's better like that actually, don't you think?

@ - Max - : I think I'm gonna just lower the information content a bit more... It's a world map after all!

Eilathen
12-06-2013, 10:36 AM
Wow, Ilanthar, i really dig that political map, especially with all those cool shields. Well done!

Neyjour
12-06-2013, 02:49 PM
I really like the main map, but the political one is definitely my fave! Really beautiful work, and I think your new shields, with the more muted colours, look perfect now! :)

Ilanthar
12-07-2013, 09:12 AM
Thanks to both of you!

I'm struggling with the labels but I hope to post next update of the political map soon.

Ilanthar
12-07-2013, 10:54 AM
Ok, I need help and advices again about those damn labels...

I suppressed more cities (only region capitals & cities over 100,000) but I have the feeling that it's still "crowded" where the regions are small. And above all, I'm not sure if it's readable at all.
Should I put just numbers and the regional names in a legend? Change the font? Any advice would be useful I think...

- Max -
12-07-2013, 11:15 AM
I don't think it's too crowded with labels. That looks nice as it is. Maybe you could have variations of the same font to clearly show the different sizes of cities (using capitalized letter or bold and such).

Azelor
12-07-2013, 12:27 PM
I think the city labels are ok since it's a political map. For the regional names, maybe a darker color and smaller font would be a good idea ?

Hai-Etlik
12-07-2013, 04:14 PM
Thanks to both of you!

I'm struggling with the labels but I hope to post next update of the political map soon.

Try adjusting the spacing of the letters. Wider spacing works better with curved labels. Also, try to stretch the label out to give an idea of the extent of the feature, and try to avoid mixing curved and uncurved labels or different text sizes for a particular class of feature. Wildly mismatched fonts, and particularly ornate and decorative fonts are also a bad idea for labels.

Given that it appears to be a small scale map, the scale bar doesn't make sense. There is no consistent linear scale on such a map. The compass roses and rhumb lines indicate it's in Mercator projection, particularly big chunks at the poles removed.

Ilanthar
12-08-2013, 09:49 AM
Thanks for your advices!

By - Max -
Maybe you could have variations of the same font to clearly show the different sizes of cities (using capitalized letter or bold and such).
Good idea, I'll test it. I used the same font for cities & regions, hope it will not be a problem.

By Azelor
For the regional names, maybe a darker color and smaller font would be a good idea ?
I have already try a darker color. I'll give it a try to a smaller font!

By Hai-Etlik
Try adjusting the spacing of the letters. Wider spacing works better with curved labels.
Not that easy on PSP, but yes, I've observed that and your advice just give me an idea.

By Hai-Etlik
Given that it appears to be a small scale map, the scale bar doesn't make sense. There is no consistent linear scale on such a map. The compass roses and rhumb lines indicate it's in Mercator projection, particularly big chunks at the poles removed.
Well, it's a world map. Eldoran is a bit smaller than Earth (about 10,030 km in diameter). The scale bar is correct for the equator mainly and to "give an idea" of the scale (31,500 km of circumference at the equator).

As for the compass and rhumb lines, I have to say that I didn't thought about it... it's more a test and just esthetic, nothing more. Truth be told, I don't even know what it's indicating, you're the one who tells me it looks like a Mercator projection :)

Hai-Etlik
12-08-2013, 05:23 PM
Well, it's a world map. Eldoran is a bit smaller than Earth (about 10,030 km in diameter). The scale bar is correct for the equator mainly and to "give an idea" of the scale (31,500 km of circumference at the equator).

As for the compass and rhumb lines, I have to say that I didn't thought about it... it's more a test and just esthetic, nothing more. Truth be told, I don't even know what it's indicating, you're the one who tells me it looks like a Mercator projection :)

Well, scale bars, compass roses, and rhumb lines have specific meanings on maps. A scale bar means "This map has a reasonably consistent linear scale throughout its extent, and this is what it is." Your map is a very small scale map ("zoomed out"), presumably of a globe, and so, it can't have a consistent linear scale regardless of what projection it's in so a scale bar doesn't make sense.

Compass roses and rhumb lines mean "This map has a reasonably consistent preservation of compass bearing across its extent, and here's how it's oriented." It's also a fairly strong sign that the map is intended for air or marine navigation. For a small scale map, there's only one projection that can preserve bearings, and that's Normal Mercator. If it is Normal Mercator, then the aspect ratio of the map implies that you've chopped off the poles quite aggressively.

For labelling, you might try doing that in Inkscape if your current software isn't up to it.

Ilanthar
12-10-2013, 06:33 AM
Yep, I'm gonna keep the rhumb lines and compass roses, so I think I can just remove the scale bar :)

by Hai-Etlik
For labelling, you might try doing that in Inkscape if your current software isn't up to it.

I haven't much time lately, but that's a good idea, thanks.

Ilanthar
12-12-2013, 12:06 PM
After changing fonts and applying a lot of your good advices :), here's where I stand so far...
This part of the world is the more difficult for labels (big names for Niangingtanggulashan and small areas). I think it is indeed better and easier to read.

Veldehar
12-12-2013, 10:46 PM
I am really into the colors and overall impression of this map. Excellent work.

Freodin
12-13-2013, 04:44 AM
You could still add a scale bar, if you want to keep that hint towards the size of your world. Just add a note saying "scale on equator" or something like that.

I am not sure the new fonts work, though. The sans-serif font you use for cities appears a little to modern for this style and it clashes rather heavily with the beautiful elaborate font of your ocean labels.

- Max -
12-13-2013, 05:08 AM
Though It's legible, I'd probably use a serif font indeed (and may avoid pure black on it but rather some similar color to the territories labels, a bit darker).

Ilanthar
12-13-2013, 07:03 AM
OK... Now you're pointing it, it's more legible but less harmonious, I get that. It's kinda hard to find a good font for those damn labels but I think I'm gonna pursue.

So, I'm gonna keep the regional labels like that, and look for another font for cities. For the scale bar, I think it doesn't really matter and won't put it.

Thanks for advices! And for your kind comment Veldehar.

Ilanthar
12-17-2013, 01:12 PM
What do you think of this font for cities?
Its not as black as before and its not withous serif. A little bit better but a little bit harder to read, don't you think?
I'm afraid I'll be lacking of the good font...

- Max -
12-17-2013, 03:05 PM
That looks fine for me.

Freodin
12-18-2013, 05:27 AM
The font looks a lot better than the previous one. But still...

Did you do something with the province labels that you didn't do to the town labels? Somehow the province labels blend into the map a lot more naturally, while the towns stand out in a very digital way. Perhaps you could add a tiny amount of blurring / bleeding to them?

Ilanthar
12-18-2013, 06:48 AM
By Freodin
Did you do something with the province labels that you didn't do to the town labels?

Yes indeed. The province labels are less dark, not blended with the same effect (strong light & transparency) and do not have a white glow. Not the same treatment because I wanted to avoid confusion.

I guess I can try to blur the cities names a little bit and see if it works better though. Thanks for the ideas.

And good to know that the font in itself seems OK !

Lingon
12-20-2013, 12:59 PM
I think the same effects but smaller and fainter would look nice… Not so similar that it's confusing, but still enough to make everything fit together. And maybe try the city font in bold? Those very thin letters look more digital than printed, to me, though it's better than the sans-serif :)

- Max -
12-20-2013, 01:31 PM
I think that the actual difference between normal, bold and capitalized letters fr 3 types of towns/cities works pretty well.

Ilanthar
12-21-2013, 10:29 AM
The blurring effect didn't worked well (at least the way I'm doing it), so I just kept going like before... And truth be told, I'm a bit tired of working on this map. As I already labelled a large part of the map, I think I'm just gonna try to finish it like that.

Thanks for the comments anyway :)

Lingon
12-23-2013, 06:03 AM
Hehe, yeah, I can understand that! To be honest, you could call this project finished at any point now, and you'll probably be showered in rep :D

Ilanthar
01-03-2014, 01:26 PM
:) That would be the cherry on the cake. I'm already happy with all the progress made thanks to the numerous advices! The finished maps are now right here :

http://www.cartographersguild.com/finished-maps/25721-world-eldoran-two-maps.html