PDA

View Full Version : October/November Lite Challenge: A Silver a Head

Psylence
10-25-2013, 10:29 PM
Alright, so I figure I'll go ahead and try this. So, this is where I am so far. I'll keep updating as I go. It's obviously far from done. Just finished the mountains, and some of the background.

### Latest WIP ###

Lingon
10-26-2013, 06:21 AM
Nice mountains! They could use some shading on one side though, to give them some volume. I like the low perspective in this map :)

Psylence
10-26-2013, 05:34 PM
Thanks! Yeah, I'm definitely working on it. There's a lot of little things that then turned into a bunch of larger things and then.. well you know how it is. Took some time to work it through a bit more, and here's an update because I think it's coming along nicely.

### Latest WIP ###

Lingon
10-27-2013, 06:20 AM
Now that's awesome.

EricPoehlsen
10-27-2013, 06:48 AM
Very cool ...

Psylence
10-27-2013, 12:07 PM
Thanks you two, I appreciate it. :)

Alright, another update then I'm probably gonna be off for a few days.

So in this one I was working on sharpening some of the lines, going through and trying to draw out some of the details. A lot of work on the background (including adding more to that little plateau over there so it ended off screen.). One of the big changes was to the foreground area where I cut back the area I originally sketched out to make the canyon a bit more prominant - as well as try to offset the land a bit more into describing it as higher up than the rest of the land around it.

Wouldn't mind feedback on whether or not the ledge that the view is from seems higher than the rest of the canyon.

### Latest WIP ###

Azelor
10-27-2013, 01:47 PM
It's looking good but you are right Psylence, I think there is something wrong with the viewing angle or the distance of the ledges. I'm not sure.

Neyjour
10-27-2013, 03:29 PM
Wonderful job so far! I really like the perspective, and your colour palette is absolutely gorgeous. That mountain range in particular looks amazing. I wish I could paint like that. *is jealous* :)

Something does seem a bit...not quite right with the canyon. To me, it looks kind of like a thin lip (like with a bowl) sticking up above the ground behind it, instead of a 90-degree angle where the top of the canyon wall should meet the ground. I think that might be because there's too much white/light colours along the edge of it? Maybe you could try using darker colours all along the edge, and gradually blend them back into the lighter colour of the terrain behind? I hope that makes sense... Heh. :P

Also, the left and right sides of the foreground look very close to the edge of the canyon. I think it might look better if we could see that deep drop (like how you've shown it right in the front) on both sides. Just a suggestion! :)

Psylence
11-02-2013, 04:22 AM
Exactly Azelor.. I dunno, I might just scrap the front ledge there and go straight canyon, just modify the canyon to be a more more varied. I'll just have to see how the colors work out for me and if everything wants to play nice or not.

I see what you mean, Neyjour. I'll hopefully be able to address the blending issue a bit more and I think I might do a bit more of a gradual slope in some places. Thanks for the input, I should be working again on the map soon.

Domino44
11-04-2013, 09:36 PM
I love the style you did this in, I love the colors you have. I don't like how dark the canyon is though, it doesn't seem to fit the rest of the maps softer colors. I like your textures, I like how everything flows together. great work Psylence!

Psylence
11-05-2013, 10:28 PM
Aaaand update!

### Latest WIP ###

*edit*
So, I figured I should add the bit of story that I have for this:

So they walked up to the gaping maw. A scar upon the land that ripped open into the abyss below. Once the area was lush, the mountains and plateaus catching the rain and turning the valley between them into a lush garden. A town once flourished at the intersection of two of those rivers. It was growing. Then the man with no name, the man who lost his name, tore the world asunder. It ripped open the world, part of the mountain range falling into the divide. Another scar ripped open, greedily drinking down the water from one of the rivers into the maw of the planet. The rivers still ran, their supplies seeming never ending... but even they slowed and then stopped.

Years have passed since that day, hundreds some say, but the one thing that can be sure is that the plants passed and the ground dried; the desert that is, hides the wilderness it was. Pass through, if you dare, but look for no sanctuary, no water, no hospitality - all is dying or dead thanks to the magic used that day.

Domino44
11-06-2013, 04:46 PM
I love the back story for this! The map looks awesome. Although now that I know the story I really want to see the town's ruins.

Psylence
11-06-2013, 05:18 PM
That's actually on the list of things to wrap up. It'll be the next thing I plan on working on. This update is on the foreground... thoughts and comments on the ledge is appreciated, I wanted to add a little more character. I also changed the sky some - I wanted to brighten it a little.

Just the ruins left to do, and maybe a few more touch-ups, but I'm almost done.

### Latest WIP ###

Psylence
11-09-2013, 02:23 PM
And I think I'm done...

### Latest WIP ###

- Max -
11-09-2013, 02:35 PM
No labels, informations, title? For now it looks rather a drawing than a map.

Psylence
11-09-2013, 02:43 PM
Too true. Always have a tough time with that... alright, point taken, I'll go back in and work on that. I suppose I took the idea of a wasteland a bit too far. ;) I couldn't think of really what to say since, in my mind, it's all just dessert/wasteland/wilderness. I'll see what I can work up.

### Latest WIP ###

Azelor
11-09-2013, 05:27 PM
The font effect is a bit weird. Personally, I'm not sure these places need name.

Psylence
11-09-2013, 05:44 PM
I'm curious Azelor, if not for the naming of the areas, what would you do to help show it as a map.

Side note: Had an idea. Put in lat/long lines. Thoughts?
### Latest WIP ###

- Max -
11-09-2013, 06:13 PM
Azelor I have to disagree : what's the point of a map if it doesn't give any informations? Psylence have probably to work out the best way of labeling this kind of iso map but that's necessary or it will stay as a (nice) drawing.

foremost
11-09-2013, 09:37 PM
It's hard to do a map from this point of view without it looking like a drawing. I think most of the labeling looks nice though, pointed out things to me I had previously not noticed. But since there's still some time left in the challenge, maybe you could label a flag on one of the peaks or add some tents for the folks to camp at... just try to spruce it up some. :)

TheHoarseWhisperer
11-10-2013, 08:31 AM
If labels are a problem, why not do something in a language not found on Earth: eg. runes, obscure scratches, hieroglyphs etc. Just a thought.

Also, here's my two cents on the map. Foremost might be right about adding a few details to 'spruce it up.' But if you didn't want to do that, maybe you could really try to make it look like a forsaken and forlorn land, perhaps slightly melancholy, like a place that has been abandoned or lost, with winds howling over empty dunes. To achieve this effect, I think you could aim to add as few details as possible. The map already works well in this way, but could still be enhanced further. What d'you think?

THW

Psylence
11-10-2013, 11:11 AM
That's actually where I was going with it. The details I add are mostly to the land. Adding white and a slight concavity to show the salt flats, dried rivers, cracked lands, dunes and bare mountains, etc. I might pull the town's label off or just mark it 'ruins'. I also have an idea for the lat/long lines that I'm working on. I think it's turning out nicely, but I'm not quite done with it yet.

Psylence
11-10-2013, 12:53 PM
Alright. I'm happy with the lat/long lines at the moment. Now for the real question... what's everyone else think?

### Latest WIP ###

EricPoehlsen
11-10-2013, 01:12 PM
Cool idea - gives the whole piece a lot mappier feeling - but maybe make them a little thinner ...

foremost
11-10-2013, 10:59 PM
Wouldn't lines of latitude and longitude be straight?

Psylence
11-11-2013, 12:46 AM
Well my goal with them was to use them to follow the ground and lat/long lines. Technically they should be straight and, I believe, one of the previous images shows them as such; however, I felt it looked a little bland and not quite in keeping with the image. So, instead, I decided to have them follow contours so as to show where those lines would lay on the ground rather than a more ethereal/sky approach. The lines probably aren't perfect, but I tried to do the best I was able to since I had to do it all by hand. In the future, if I had to do it all again, I would plan those lines out in advance.

Psylence
11-12-2013, 03:40 PM
Alright, after a bit of debate with a friend of mine, I decided to do the center line straight and use a bit of overlay to add to the lights and shadows to give it 'height' as well as a bit of eraser action. With that said, I think I have sufficiently beat this dead horse into submission.

*edit* I lied... I had to touch it a little more.
### Latest WIP ###