PDA

View Full Version : October Challenge Voting - Map the same place twice

arsheesh
11-03-2013, 02:57 PM
Sorry for the delay guys, I was away for much of the weekend and only had time to briefly check in here. This month's challenge was to create two different maps of the same location. This could have been two different perspectives of the same place or two different styles of maps or what have you We had several stunning entries this month:

September Challenge Thumbs (http://www.cartographersguild.com/challenge_thumbs.php?type=regular)

Please vote for your favorite map(s), and be sure to be generous about repping those who participated in the challenge. The voting will last for 4 days and the winner will receive a golden compass and the praise, admiration and envy of his peers. May the best map win.

EricPoehlsen
11-03-2013, 03:11 PM
I do not see a poll ...

arsheesh
11-03-2013, 03:16 PM
You have to create the new thread first and then add the poll afterwards. However my understanding was that the thread would only be displayed once the poll had been completed. Guess that isn't the case. At any rate, the pole is up now. Best of luck to you all gentlemen (and any female contestants?).

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

ravells
11-04-2013, 04:57 AM
This month's competition has to have some of the highest quality entries I've seen. Just incredible work - out of this world.

EricPoehlsen
11-04-2013, 06:32 AM
With some of the other entries, I was thinking 'Why the hell am I even finishing this' - well I wanted to make that map, so ...
Great maps.

GuusR
11-04-2013, 07:55 AM
Is it just me or is there no overview of all the final entries to the challenge? I missed the second, hand-drawn map of the "Lotus Coast" from Diamond. Nevertheless, I voted for "Gothehamstadt" for other reasons.

Edit:
Nevermind the overview aspect: it's the sub-forum "Current Mapping Challenge Thumbnails". Nevertheless, where are some of the entries' second maps? The challenge has closed, right?

EricPoehlsen
11-04-2013, 10:15 AM
Some have no second map, as they did not finish ...

eViLe_eAgLe
11-04-2013, 12:34 PM
Yeah, I sadly didn't even finish my first map.
As always, great job from everyone.

Diamond
11-04-2013, 04:25 PM
Yep, I failed. Didn't finish my hand-drawn version. It looks like crap, honestly. I'll still finish it and post it in another thread though, so you all can see how bad it is. :D

- Max -
11-04-2013, 07:25 PM
My votes went to DJ and Sapiento. Some other really nice entries, so sad that some very promising ones are unfinished :(

Jaxilon
11-05-2013, 02:43 PM
I liked a bunch of these but in the end voted for DJ's because I really like the use of perspective and he was the only one took the challenge in this direction. Plus, face it, it's beautiful.

Ilanthar
11-05-2013, 03:16 PM
My votes went to - Max - and Djekspek. I already commented their incredible work.
And I would be very curious and glad to see the unfinished ones !

Djekspek
11-05-2013, 03:37 PM
My votes went to Max and Sapiento... I love the authentic look of the maps of Max (especially the 1st one), and the colors of Sapiento's first piece. I also love the mountains of eViles, just too bad he didnt finish it (maybe another time?) ... Same for Diamond, very nice piece, also too bad it wasn't 2 pieces. Still a bit puzzled by eelage's pieces, to be honest the small details look really awesome and the concept differs from what we see mostly (refreshing!) but somehow I can't grasp the concept of the map. Finally must say EricP's piece was the bravest attempt (a huge city is soo much work). The city map just looks a bit unfinished (I understand to give both maps the same scale, the first one had to be largely empty, but it could have been filled up with more geographic features or something....) Anyway, thanks all for joining! time to swing the repblade.... cheers!

Schwarzkreuz
11-05-2013, 07:40 PM
Votes for DJ and -Max- Great work from Booth of them!

Eilathen
11-06-2013, 11:38 AM
Well, once again, i have to vote for Max. Honorable mentions for Diamond (he just hits my map-taste (even with those ugly caterpillars :P)) and Djekspek (wonderful map, artistically, i'm just not a big fan of city maps...especially if it competes against regional or world maps).

Bogie
11-07-2013, 07:16 PM
Congrats Max! You had some great competition!

arsheesh
11-07-2013, 07:36 PM
Congrats Max, it was a close race. And DJ your map was right up there as well.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

- Max -
11-07-2013, 08:03 PM
Thanks much guys and thanks for all the voters and supporters :) Yes it was a very close one, Djekspek indeed deserves a special mention for his awesome map!

Diamond
11-07-2013, 08:45 PM
Nice job, Max. I think as soon as I saw your entry, all my enthusiasm for finishing mine was sucked away. :D

- Max -
11-07-2013, 08:48 PM
Man, don't make me sad :D I really want to see a hand drawn map of yours!

Sapiento
11-08-2013, 11:04 AM
Congratulations!

- Max -
11-08-2013, 11:28 AM
Thanks sapiento! :)

Djekspek
11-08-2013, 02:24 PM
gratz with the shiny medal Max, well deserved, those maps are real gems!

- Max -
11-08-2013, 05:29 PM
Thanks much DJ :) your map was a gem aswell!