PDA

View Full Version : Karth

TimPaul
11-04-2013, 06:36 AM
Here is a snippet from a larger image for a map of a fantasy I've developed.

Domino44
11-04-2013, 08:28 AM
It looks nice, I want to see more of it.

Humabout
11-04-2013, 08:48 AM
I like the fractured feel of the map. Was there some glaciation at work? I think I see some potential fjords, though I can't figure out which direction the glacial action was working in. I'd love to see the larger map, as well. Good stuff here.

Eilathen
11-04-2013, 09:15 AM
Very nice! I also want to see more of this. And if you are willing, tell us a bit about the world itself and its cultures.

TimPaul
11-04-2013, 09:59 AM
Here is the whole map as it currently exists.

The shape of the world was caused by a mythical war between the Gods and the Elemental Lords. The world has recovered for the most part so it's considered a story on how the world was made by most races. Currently most civilized cultures exist north of the bodies of water, and south of the mountains. The Southern lands are more wild and unsettled, the Savage Lands some area's are called.

The richest areas are to the far west, and to the far east, and there is lots of trade by sea between the two areas. The small narrow point with the cluster of islands is home to The Free City of Thanro, a wild, exciting city that controls the flow of commerce across the four center seas. All ships must dock there, and pay tolls to continue. The waters around the islands are tricky and rock filled, and only the merchant masters of Thanro know the safe passages through. In Thanro, all races are welcome. It's not uncommon to see races who are normally mortal enemies walking the street. This makes Thanro as dangerous as it is exciting. Just about anything or anyone can be bought in the city.

To the far east, are ancient Elven Lands. Some believe them to not exist, because it is said that sailors have passed through the waters without seeing even the tiniest of islands, and eventually come on the western shores of Karth. In truth, the lands exist in two worlds, this world, and the Fey. The King of the Elves can, for a short time cause the land to be completely in one realm or another. But the King can also simply enchant the waters surrounding the islands, so that sailors chart a course around it, never realizing they are being trick. No one lands in the elven lands without consent of the King.

To the far south is the ancient home of the Giants. They don't mix with the other civilizations much, their time is often spent in clan wars among themselves. They live primarily in the mountain areas. It is said that the giants are a wealthy of ancient lore about the lands and the war between the Gods and the Elemental Lords. They were skilled in magic and crafts, and still area.

The northern lands are a mixture of wild lands and settlements. Mainly barbarians and vikings, who come raiding down into the Southern Lands as the seasons permit. The far north is often covered in snow, and the seas covered in ice. It's a harsh land, and unforgiving.

There's still much to develop of course, as this is a WIP. I've yet to decide if I want to add a second land mass, and if I did, were would I add it? I feel there's a lot to work with here.

And thanks everyone.

- Max -
11-04-2013, 06:16 PM
Looks very promising Tim! Looking forward to seeing your progress on it

Viking
11-04-2013, 07:56 PM
Excellent work so far! This will earn you some rep when done I'd wager :) I really like the subtle colouring scheme you have.

DearCyrus
11-04-2013, 08:16 PM
Love the mountain detail.

Ilanthar
11-05-2013, 05:56 AM
I agree with - Max - and Viking. And good setting for adventure with a good use of the map.

arsheesh
11-05-2013, 01:38 PM
Looking very nice so far Tim, I'll be watching for updates.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

madbird-valiant
11-05-2013, 06:00 PM
Oh my god those mountains are stunning. They remind me a lot of old Japanese artwork.

Lingon
11-06-2013, 04:16 AM
Nice job so far! The mountains could use some shading, but maybe you were already planning that? I also think that the coastline would match the line quality of the mountains better if it had some more detail.

Artax
11-06-2013, 05:13 AM
I'm a writer with little understanding of cartography, but I love your map so far!!!

Valhall
11-06-2013, 07:25 AM
Wow, i see people from this forum has an excelent works!! I like so much the colors you choose for the map!! Very nice work!!

TimPaul
11-06-2013, 03:51 PM
I finished all the mountains. Yes I did plan to add shading.

However, I've been trying to figure out what direction to take with forests and such. Here's some examples I came up with. Not sure about any of them. I'm open to suggestions or ideas.

Diamond
11-06-2013, 03:57 PM
Great job on this so far; I love the soft colors and your mountains are outstanding. I think of the four forest types I like 1 and 2 the best; either one would work well with the mountains and overall feel of the map, although I'm leaning towards #1. It may balance things better than #2, but I think I'd have to see a bigger sampling with #2 forests to make a better judgement.

madbird-valiant
11-06-2013, 05:44 PM
100% option number 2. It fits with the style of the mountains so much.

- Max -
11-06-2013, 05:55 PM
I would go with option 2 or 3. The 3 would fit better though it looks a bit flat atm

TimPaul
11-06-2013, 06:06 PM
Thanks. I'm going to play around some more. Maybe I can find a combination of 2 and 3.

Artax
11-06-2013, 09:42 PM
I like forests numbers one and two, with a preference for two. I'd like to see an example with more of both of those to make a better judgment please. But it's looking nice so far!

Eilathen
11-07-2013, 10:22 AM
I have to agree with Max. 2 or 3 are best. Not sure which of those two is better. To be honest, i'd like to see both versions :D

TimPaul
11-07-2013, 12:21 PM
worked on this some more this morning. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the trees on the right hand side. I think they give more flexablity, where I can scatter a few trees here and there, to help balance out ares. I'm also probably going to go with buildings for marker, over symbols. I darkened the oceans and seas. Not 100% sold on that.

I also figured I'd work out the text now, so that as I move forward, everything fits together.

Now that I look at it, I'm probably going to redraw the lines around the cost to be more natural looking. They are starting to look to stiff.

as always, feedback is welcomed.

Wingh
11-07-2013, 12:38 PM
I agree with you about keeping the trees on the right. The good effet you have is puting some trees between the mountains, so it looks very good.
Nice work !

- Max -
11-07-2013, 12:54 PM
Yup those trees looks ok with the mountains (though I'd scale down a bit) and the coastlines definitely need some refine here.

Llannagh
11-07-2013, 01:00 PM
Good stuff.

I agree, the forest on the right hand side fit the style better, though I also really like the other one. Maybe you should add a little shadow underneath the individual trees to give them a "3d"-like feel. I think that would fit even better with those mountains.

TimPaul
11-07-2013, 01:01 PM
Yup those trees looks ok with the mountains (though I'd scale down a bit) and the coastlines definitely need some refine here.

Just "ok"? Kidding.

TimPaul
11-07-2013, 01:03 PM
Good stuff.

I agree, the forest on the right hand side fit the style better, though I also really like the other one. Maybe you should add a little shadow underneath the individual trees to give them a "3d"-like feel. I think that would fit even better with those mountains.

It's not so much that I don't like the left side trees, I just don't know if they work for this map. Quite possibly be useful for another map. Few more tests.

xotoxi
11-07-2013, 01:10 PM
Thanro sound like Panama, only 100 times better!

arsheesh
11-07-2013, 01:10 PM
This is coming along splendidly TimPaul!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

- Max -
11-07-2013, 01:21 PM
Just "ok"? Kidding.

They will be more than ok when they'll be scaled down :P ;)

Eilathen
11-07-2013, 02:40 PM
They will be more than ok when they'll be scaled down :P ;)

I have to agree...again :D

madbird-valiant
11-07-2013, 06:27 PM
I still prefer the trees on the left, but it's your map :P Looks great either way. Also I'm not sure if those are legitimate names or just to test location and such, but I'm glad I'm not the only person who is uncreative enough to have "xxx Valley" "xxx Lake" "xxx River". :)

rdanhenry
11-12-2013, 10:14 AM
Different styles of mapping forest can be used to indicate different types of forest: conifers v. deciduous, thick v. open, normal v. enchanted. So you don't have to stick to just one.

Caenwyr
11-14-2013, 05:19 AM
Well this looks promising! My compliment on the excellent style!!

Viking
11-14-2013, 11:58 PM
As for forests, I'd pick the one on the right since it matches the isometric angle of the map better in my opinion. Actually, I think in general it actually fits the style as a whole better. That said, the individual trees could be a tad smaller and slightly less regular.

TimPaul
11-15-2013, 11:15 AM
Thanks everyone. Yes Viking, that was my thought too, the trees on the right go better with the isometric style. As for slightly smaller, exploring that. I haven't had a chance to return to this map, have a couple of jobs to work on, and last week, I had parites and industry functions to go, and then went upstate (Catskills area of New York) till late Monday with friends for a long weekend. I did do some fun character designs and sketching while up there.

So currently working on two paying jobs. Hopefully I will be able to get back to this next week or this weekend. Meanwhile here's a drawing I did this past weekend.

Thanks for all the feedback.