PDA

View Full Version : Hune - A Fantasy World Map

madbird-valiant
11-04-2013, 08:21 AM
Sup guys and gals.

So I've got a fantasy novel "project" that I've been "working on" for several years; I say "project" and "working on" because in that time all I've managed to accumulate is a pretty big word document of random information and plot ideas, and a folder full of doodles of places, people, and the world in general.

Recently, I got roped into GM a game of Pathfinder for a few noob friends - it's my first time GMing anything, so it's all a little bit daunting, so to make it a bit less so I decided why not make the setting for the game my fantasy world? That way it gives me a setting that I'm at least half familiar with, and it will give me a chance to bash out some more specifics about the geography and towns and such of the world, something I've really neglected until now.

All this means that I am currently reworking my mapwork, hopefully better. None of that for now, though, so here's some dated pictures to give you an idea of the world.

Hune first started life as Byrdia, and Byrdia was a SimCity 4 map. I don't think I ever actually used the map, but this is the major landmass that I've focused on with my "project".

Another outline of the landmass/es, a bit more easy to see than the screenshot.

The furthest I got as far as detail goes; this is the eastern half of the main landmass (which is pretty easily split into two halves, conveniently), which is where the "project" was going to be predominantly set. This shows how long it's been since I've done any "work" on it, Foundation isn't a thing in the "project" anymore. Dawn and Aark are to be the sort of two opposing main powers, with both cities being built on top of and into the side of (respectively) colossal mesa-type things.

Anyway, that's all for now, hopefully I'll get some screens of the new WIP map up in the next couple of days - I'm currently lacking a drawing tablet of any description, so I'm using Illustrator CS5, so I'm not quite getting the amazing hand-drawn look I'd love to have, but it'll all be useful in the end hopefully.

Any crits or feedback on what you see here is welcome and encouraged; I'm a bit janky when it comes to placement of mountain ranges, rivers and the like, but helpfully part of the concept of the "project" is that there was a race of creators who basically messed with the world and did what they want so I can sort of get away with it a little bit :P

Cheers guys!

DearCyrus
11-04-2013, 08:14 PM
Pretty cool! I'd like to see where you go with it!

Viking
11-05-2013, 12:11 AM
I absolutely love that this started out as a sim city 4 map! :D Your rivers don't seem too bad although the swamp area is a little iffy. Usually a swamp would be contained in a single drainage basin and not divided over two. Everything looks very passable though despite you being new to this stuff :) Were I you, I'd draw that mountain range a little further south east and join it up to those steep cliffs you are going for but that is a matter of taste only lol

madbird-valiant
11-05-2013, 01:59 AM
Pretty cool! I'd like to see where you go with it!

Thanks! Updates soon hopefully.

I absolutely love that this started out as a sim city 4 map! :D
Haha yes :P SC4 is one of those games I'll get all excited to play, download roughly one million mods for, and by the time I have it all set up I've lost interest.

Were I you, I'd draw that mountain range a little further south east and join it up to those steep cliffs
Herp, that makes sense :P Cheers!

madbird-valiant
11-05-2013, 06:47 AM

Some progress has been made! Evenwood is obviously where the Pathfinder campaign is taking place to begin with, hence the large amount of detail around there, but I'm starting to work out placement of everything else and landmasses and names for stuff and so on, so it doesn't have to be too pretty. I accidentally made the file as large as an Illustrator file can be, so everything is MASSIVE - as a result you can't really read any of the little names and stuff, but oh well. Also nicked Optimus Princeps, which is the font that -Max- uses on his fantastic maps. It's such a nice font.

Ordered a new tablet today, so hopefully I'll be able to start PSing this stuff soon. :) I hate having to use solid colours. Damn you Illustrator!

madbird-valiant
11-16-2013, 10:44 PM

Graphics tablet get! I'm vaguely terrified to start on the land itself.

madbird-valiant
11-17-2013, 03:13 AM

Mountains! I think their scale may be a bit off but I'm not sure.

Lingon
11-17-2013, 05:17 AM
Very nice land shape! How big is it? The mountains look cool, but it's hard to tell wether their scale is off if we don't know the map's scale ;) They are obviously a lot smaller than in the original though.

madbird-valiant
11-17-2013, 05:36 AM
I'm not entirely sure of the scale :P My current working scale is that small black line to the right of the colour palette, which I've been using as roughly 20-50miles or something thereabouts. It's meant to all be pretty big and dramatic and impressive, so a 50 mile-wide mountain range isn't too far out of what I'm looking for, but I may tweak that a bit :P

Lingon
11-17-2013, 05:45 AM
Seems pretty good then! If the black line is 35 miles (the average of 20 and 50), the range is about 175 miles at its widest point, which seems pretty common for the major ranges of Earth when looking on Google maps.

Ilanthar
11-17-2013, 08:24 AM
As for me, I'm not a big fan of old computer maps (I had not played Sim City enough maybe :D), but I like your last map. It seems to be a very good start : the land shape is pleasant and your mountains looks just fine.

madbird-valiant
11-17-2013, 09:24 AM
Seems pretty good then! If the black line is 35 miles (the average of 20 and 50), the range is about 175 miles at its widest point, which seems pretty common for the major ranges of Earth when looking on Google maps.

Aha, great. I love when I'm accidentally right :P

As for me, I'm not a big fan of old computer maps (I had not played Sim City enough maybe :D), but I like your last map. It seems to be a very good start : the land shape is pleasant and your mountains looks just fine.

Yeah I'm not a fan of computer generated maps either. Loved Simcity though! And thanks, I appreciate it!

madbird-valiant
11-17-2013, 08:39 PM

God I hate trying to draw smooth curvy lines with a tablet. It's been a while.

madbird-valiant
11-18-2013, 07:45 PM
I feel like I'm posting updates too much. Anyway.

Did some more rivers, polished off the center mountain range (for now >.>), various little bits like the cliffs along the bottom and the texture for the land.

DearCyrus
11-18-2013, 09:18 PM
I really enjoy the flow of your rivers. That being said, on of them is needs to be edited slightly. Top fork of the second river down. ( and maybe naming the rivers would allow for quicker feedback ... :P ;))

madbird-valiant
11-18-2013, 10:06 PM
:P All in good time.

This one? I'm not too happy with any of the rivers to be honest, I'm still getting used to pen pressure and smooth curves, but whats wrong with this one in particular?

DearCyrus
11-18-2013, 10:16 PM
That's the one! lol. The top fork is visible "through" the mountain at the very end (start, really :)). Either that or it is running horizontally across the face of a faceted mountain, which I find a lot less likely. Maybe just layer positioning?

madbird-valiant
11-18-2013, 10:58 PM
HA oh wow. Nice catch, I totally didn't notice that, which is an effort considering I had to look at it to cut that smaller image out. I obviously forgot to erase that bit :P Thanks!

DearCyrus
11-18-2013, 11:04 PM
No problem! That's what we are here for, right? I would hope others would point out something like that for me! ;)

madbird-valiant
12-21-2013, 08:58 PM

Update! Life got in the way for a while there, haven't been around for ages, but I've done a bit more and tried out some text. Let me know what you think. Especially, the forest - not sure if I like it or not. Crits and suggestions and so on, please!

Llannagh
12-22-2013, 07:13 AM
Nice. There are a lot of things I like.

I like the font of the labels and the coloring, though they shouldn't overlap with different colored background, as with the Sculptor's Steps. But I guess you know that and it will be solved ;)
The compass rose is also quite nice, it fits the clear and simple style for the map.

About the forest: I'm myself struggling to find a way of depicting larger areas of woods in a similar style and thought of trying something like you did. I'm not a hundred percent on that. You set the edges off nicely, but the rest is just a flat green thing. I have the urge to make it more fuzzy, but then that might interfere with the style established for the mountains. Tough thing, I find it to be. :)
I'll work on my own and if I find something that might work, I'll show you! You sure have given me an idea.

madbird-valiant
12-23-2013, 01:01 AM
Yeah I think I'll whack some sort of texture over the top of the forest, just so that it isn't that ugly flat green. Just got to find a nice subtle texture now.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

madbird-valiant
12-26-2013, 12:12 AM

Stuck some texture on top of the forest.

Ilanthar
01-03-2014, 12:07 PM
Still very promising! I think your mountain labels would be more legible if the letters are darkened a bit.

Llannagh
01-04-2014, 06:29 AM
This is not final, but something in this direction might fit your style:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/general-miscellaneous-mapping/25479-tryouts.html

I haven't got the file with me, tha's why I'm posting the link.

madbird-valiant
07-09-2014, 01:50 AM
Oh man I have been away for a long time and haven't made much progress. Sketchy areas are just there for planning purposes, same with town/city/ruin markers.

Not sure what to do with the big open section north of the top river, so just doodled some hills to stop it being an empty space.

Llannagh
07-09-2014, 04:51 AM
Nice to see you're back at it again!

You could turn that area north of the top river into a marshland with lots of lakes, for example. Or something like Finland. Just a suggestion.

madbird-valiant
07-09-2014, 11:22 PM
Hmm, I like that idea. Might have to look at some Finland maps.