PDA

View Full Version : Using textures to imply 3D - Limbless Tree.

Gamerprinter
11-06-2013, 05:58 AM
Here's an odd, short tutorial. Several people have commented on my use of 3D in creating some of my maps. While I certainly do use 3D applications and sometimes incorporate their use in my maps. My recent Top Down Tree House (http://www.cartographersguild.com/finished-maps/25185-top-down-tree-house.html) map in the Finished Map Forum uses implied 3D through creative texture use and shading, however, everything was done in a vector graphics application. The same techniques can be applied to image editors as well.

I often find myself using photo-textures to create certain terrain types, but changes in shape sometimes doesn't match the photo. This tutorial uses shapes to apply the same texture but rotated to follow a different direction. However, it's an odd, corner case problem that may or may not come up in your designs, so I don't know how useful this tutorial really is - just an explanation of how to imply 3D when you don't have the time to spend using 3D applications, as a quick solution. Really, even using 3D applications presenting accurate texture skinning of 3D objects is a lot more problematic and difficult to accomplish, even with the best tools. So this is the cheaters way to do 3D and skip the problem altogether.