PDA

View Full Version : Dungeons of Earen - A Work In Progress

megrim
07-18-2008, 03:55 AM
Most of you have seen the map i did for my campaign setting (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2453&page=4), well here is the first level of the first dungeon the players will explore. It is a tiefling ruin, these ruins was discovered by accident by two workers in the Sulindal mines, the workers believe that the ruin is dwarven in origin, however the players will discovery it isn't.

The players will begin at the right far end of the map (again this is just the first level) here they will encounter ghosts, undead creatures, rats, vermins and such, they will have to jump and balance themselves across the first level in some cases. The blue symbols on the floor open the door next to it if someone steps and remains on top of them, this will cause the party to leave a player behind, until they figure a way to leave one of the pressure plates on the ground pressed without the need of a person, at the bottom of the last room on the left is sort of a mirror with an eye painted in blood, with the right words in deep speach it will lead the party to the next level of the ruins. (no worries a tiefling wizard is in the party)

Ghalev
07-18-2008, 04:44 AM
Sweet.

(The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.)

landorl
07-18-2008, 09:17 AM
Wow! Nice looking map. I also like the fact that the dungeon isn't just about creature bashing, but there are some intellectual problems to be solved.

delgondahntelius
07-18-2008, 12:06 PM
Great looking map, love the textures and the color palette you have for it :) kudos!@

Sigurd
07-18-2008, 12:27 PM
Good feel to it Megrim

Nice map.

nolgroth
07-18-2008, 05:46 PM
I like it. Well done.

If I were to make anything even remotely resembling a complaint, it would be that the black thing (a pit I'm guessing) is too black. That quibble is very minor though.

megrim
07-18-2008, 09:01 PM
I like it. Well done.

If I were to make anything even remotely resembling a complaint, it would be that the black thing (a pit I'm guessing) is too black. That quibble is very minor though.

any suggestions on the pit?

delgondahntelius
07-18-2008, 09:46 PM
Trick players into falling into it ?

jfrazierjr
07-18-2008, 09:59 PM

Use some of the new 4E D&D Monster powers to push them in?

jfrazierjr
07-18-2008, 10:01 PM

Trick them into JUMPING in....

megrim
07-18-2008, 10:09 PM
lol i ment on the design of the pit cuz the dude said it looked too dark, but regarding the HUGE pit, if they dont fall on their own... lets just say tentacles will make sure they do

>:)

Midgardsormr
07-18-2008, 10:26 PM
Heh. I'd say put a little bit of a dark gray in around the edge, and then smudge it inward. That'll make it look like it goes somewhere, although it might look a little odd since everything else is orthographic.

nolgroth
07-19-2008, 12:04 AM
any suggestions on the pit?Aside from the obligatory "push them in" comments ( :D ), have you experimented with using a gradient fill that goes from a dark gray to black, to give it the illusion of depth.

delgondahntelius
07-19-2008, 12:47 AM
lol i ment on the design of the pit cuz the dude said it looked too dark, but regarding the HUGE pit, if they dont fall on their own... lets just say tentacles will make sure they do

>:)

Trying for something like this?
5358 and 5359

keep the dark splotch on the layer below a gradient set to circular.... I then duplicated that layer three times, setting the opacity of the layer down so that you could see the layer beneath it. I set the bottom gradient blend mode on Linear Light, then merged the gradient layers together. Set the opacity down so the black bleeds thru... blurred the gradient some with the blur tool to mesh it all together. I pulled the opacity on that gradient layer for the final finished look to about 15%... adjusting it till I got the look I wanted....

Here is the gradients I made for it:

Sigurd
07-19-2008, 01:15 AM
RE: Pit

Blur a piece of floor a little smaller than the pit and overlay it sort of centrally. Play with the opacity etc... until it seems like its at the bottom. Just enough dark information to suggest that its not inky space would be a big improvement.

Sigurd

nolgroth
07-19-2008, 10:46 AM
This is sort of what I am talking about. I added a bevel around the edge and a gradient fill.

RobA
07-19-2008, 04:56 PM
Love the style (I saved it for a future reference). I really like how the block walls blend in to the surrounding earth.

One problem on the left hand side - it looks like you got some cut/paste type clipping with obvious straight lines....here:

-Rob A>

megrim
07-19-2008, 08:43 PM
This is sort of what I am talking about. I added a bevel around the edge and a gradient fill.
Thanks ill look into it.

Love the style (I saved it for a future reference). I really like how the block walls blend in to the surrounding earth.

One problem on the left hand side - it looks like you got some cut/paste type clipping with obvious straight lines....here:

-Rob A>
Lazinesson my part, already fixed it, will show in updated version later on

nolgroth
07-19-2008, 10:49 PM
Thanks ill look into it.Again, mine was just a suggestion. I actually think the map is very cool looking and since you stated it was a work in progress, am looking forward to seeing how it comes together.

ravells
07-20-2008, 12:21 AM
I just want to second RobA - I really love the style of the walls and floor on this map and will be lovingly ripping it off when I do my next dungeon map!

megrim
07-25-2008, 03:34 AM
Here is an update on the dungeon, after the party speak the right words it will lead them to a sacrificial room (where the hexagon is painted) there they will encounter the ghost of a tiefling priest, the ghost will have scarce memories of what he was doing before he died... he remembers the summoning of a demon... but it was not complete, thats about it... he then will mention to the tiefling in the party that he is not the only tiefling who has visit him... later on he reveals its Erelia one of the members of the Sulindal council, the ghost then suddenly remembers that erelia is trying to complete the summoning for her own perverse reasons and that they need to stop her.

As you guys can see there are several mirrors in the sacrificial room... two of them lead to the puzzle rooms (which i will explain on a later day) one of them leads to the arcane halls (were the wizards experimented with constructs oozes and what not... one of the mirrors is missing a fragment... the other leads to Erelias room but it seems to be covered with something from the other end not allowing passage.

Forgot to mentioned that the party enters these ruins by mistake as they explore the mines looking for two missing miners, well anyways... the players will have the choice where to go first... its better for them to solve the puzzles first as they will provide them with helpful items to overcome the obstacles in the big dungeon i am still working on. Ok on the big dungeon we can see so far a room with some strange green ooze and another that seems to be a library (and it is)

Library: when the players approach the door (from either side) an eye made of stone thats above the door will open and ask for the correct phrase (one of the phrases is located in one of the puzzle rooms) if they say the correct phrase the eye will close and the doors will open, if they dont, the eye wont close and the door will open... however... once all of them go inside the doors will shut down... the eye will flue to the center of the room, scrolls and book pages will storm and gather on the center forming some sort of humanoid looking scroll construct creature that will cast spells to kill the party.

ooze room: when they enter they will fight some oozes once they mvoe inside the will see that the entire room is covered with a gelatinus substance except for a tiny short road so to speak, one of them will need to balance its way to the end of the room (he can use the pillars for support giving him a +2 circumstance bonus to balance himself while near the pillars) did i mention that anyone who tries to walk through the gelatine takes alot of damage?

You may ask... whats with all the strange puzzles... well most of the puzzle and challenges are ment to be so, the wizards who used to live there... experimented with everything and often used puzzles and strange mechanisms to hide, protect or simply test their subjects... they also practiced binding souls or elements to things such as armors, and weapons, specially lesser evil spirits like imps. well let me know what you guys think.

nolgroth
07-25-2008, 04:34 AM
Wow! I would toss some (admittedly minuscule amounts of) rep your way, but it seems like I have already. All those puzzle rooms are awesome. I'm getting some sort of Trickster inspired mad builder thing going on in my pea brain.

Looking forward to the next exciting segment of "Dungeons of Earen" mapping. :D Seriously.

EDIT: And the pit looks downright scary now.

Ascension
07-25-2008, 05:12 PM
No crits just praise, love the texture and colors.

megrim
07-26-2008, 03:40 AM
ok fellas the map is done, added 4 mayor rooms, one as u can see has some watery terrain there... most like will make them face a lesser water elemental and watch the party as they slip and fall on the water... there is a 10ft ledge most controllers and artillery will be there... ill have things to take care of them.

before that we have what it seems to be an old sacrificial room... its more like a summoning spot for imps here they will fight imps, undead, and other minions... alot of them just for a bit of hack and slash fun.

then there is the room with the pillars... its completely dark... monsters will lurk behind the pillars to surprise the party.

and then theres the gassy green room... its a letal gas the party will need to find the control rooms to stop the gas in order to obtain the item of that room... soom rooms at the top for them to hide and catch a breath and find some items and then theres the empty small room at the bottom... most likely the control room should be guarded by constructs as well as some undead tieflings...

after the party is done collecting all the items... the ghost will summon the demon for the party to defeat... after that the ghost will reveal the way out and thank them for deliverying his soul free.

alucard339
07-27-2008, 10:54 AM
Great map, I think in some near futur I should try it with a new bunch of players. I love the texture style u've used.

A full detail document file of the dungeon would be cool.

Here my 2 cents:

Maybe it just me, but I would have put more shadow into the wall to give the dungeon a real 3D effect. also I would have use darker tone and shading in the section of the dungeon that is suposed to be downstair (It makes the map reading easier).

anyway continue the great job,
Alu.