PDA

View Full Version : Ahrendessa - commission map

- Max -
11-10-2013, 08:54 AM
Hi all,

Here's one of my latest work, the fantasy map of Ahrendessa continent, a piece commissionned by Matthew Hammond for his book project "Destiny's child". It's 8x11" and it's done in photoshop.

2013 - All rights reserved

Hope you'll like it.

As usual, feel free to rate, rep or run away :)

Freodin
11-10-2013, 09:04 AM
Not as dark and gloomy as many of your maps... me like!

Wingh
11-10-2013, 11:49 AM
Very nice map ! You took the style of the last challenge you won if I do not make a mistake. :)
Did you used a brush to make the mountains on this map ?
And could you tell us how many hours of work are necessary to make it ?
Thanks for sharing again !

arsheesh
11-10-2013, 01:28 PM
Lovely work -Max-!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

- Max -
11-11-2013, 04:07 AM
Thanks much!
@Whing : Yes, it was made after Erin's style :) No mountains brushes used on this map : the mountains were drawn directly on the map.
As for the time involved on it, you probably know that I'm living in a very particular place in France where time don't fly the same way than everywhere. Some co-guilders here know that it allows me to work pretty fast according to the real time elsewhere :D

Wingh
11-11-2013, 04:16 AM
Hey Max ! Give me your location so I can be there too. :)
I am French too and I never have enough time to make all my architectural plans...

Bogie
11-11-2013, 08:56 AM
Still can't rep you yet, but this map is great, love the border.

- Max -
11-11-2013, 12:00 PM
Thanks Bogie, glad you like it :)

foremost
11-11-2013, 09:14 PM
Hey - Max -!

I love the border on this one.

Eilathen
11-12-2013, 01:36 PM
Overall a nice composition. I have to be honest, though: i really don't like this forest stlye. It's similar to the one i saw on Sapiento's maps recently...it just does nothing for me...it looks too...flat and plopped down on the surface. A bit like - and i'm sorry for the comparison - green cow droppings :D

- Max -
11-13-2013, 11:30 AM
Thanks guys!
@ Eilathen : I know you're not a fan of this kind of forests but i guess it's a matter of taste. i don't like being stucked in only one drawing style and like testing out several ways of drawings maps ;)

Gamerprinter
11-13-2013, 11:51 AM
Indeed, I have no single style of forest, mountains, rivers or most terrain features in a map that I consistently do the same. I am always experimenting and trying out new ways to graphically depict every map I create. I have half a dozen different ways I might depict mountains for example.

Although I personally find the way forests are depicted in this map as somewhat underwhelming that is a design choice and not a value judgment - I've tried styles in the past that may have worked for a given map, but I may not have repeated the technique. This is very subjective and there is no 'best way' to depict any terrain feature. As long as the reader of the map understands what they are viewing, that is the most important aspect.

Eilathen
11-13-2013, 03:49 PM
Well, everything about a map is a matter of taste, that's a given. And i also do not have one-style-only philosophy. But this forest-style is just not for me. And i feel the need to criticize the things that i don't like. I think, in the end, it's more useful/helpful than just posting a one-liner in the vein of "Wow, how nice". I try to point out what i like and what i don't and if i can, why i don't.
But that does not mean the whole map is not for me...as i said, i like the overall map.

P.S.: Sorry for the tangent, not picking on you specifically, Max! It just so happens that this came up in one of your threads.

jtougas
11-13-2013, 04:35 PM
Looks great Max. The subdued and light scheme are both very pleasing. The forests are forests and I knew that looking at the map so they did their job. Have some rep. :)

- Max -
11-14-2013, 05:38 AM
Eilathen, there's absolutely no problem with your comment :) Your comments, as usual (and criticizes, whatever they are ;) ) are always appreciated!
@Jtougas : Thanks!

Irbis
11-14-2013, 05:59 AM
Well, everything about a map is a matter of taste, that's a given. And i also do not have one-style-only philosophy. But this forest-style is just not for me. And i feel the need to criticize the things that i don't like. I think, in the end, it's more useful/helpful than just posting a one-liner in the vein of "Wow, how nice". I try to point out what i like and what i don't and if i can, why i don't.
But that does not mean the whole map is not for me...as i said, i like the overall map.

P.S.: Sorry for the tangent, not picking on you specifically, Max! It just so happens that this came up in one of your threads.

Actually i have a similiar opinion. I mean the whole map looks great ad i wish i would be capable of producing such creation myself but the forrest looks more like a stack of "moss" rather then woods. it lacks some sort of "bulkiness", distortions, sharpnes - if you know what i mean. But let me repeat myself - it doesn't change the fact that the map as a whole is just beautiful.

xotoxi
11-14-2013, 06:01 AM
Looks great! I really like the shape of the island.

But two of your provinces are missing names.

Sapiento
11-14-2013, 06:09 AM
Well, I like the forests. They fit very well to the overall style of the map.

- Max -
11-15-2013, 04:12 AM
@Irbis : this forest style is always being debated. I remember such discussion on some Sap's threads but I have kind of the same opinion as him : if the thing is fitting the overall style, then for me it's a win (especially if the reder can see it as forests on the map) ;)
@Xotoxi : Looks like I've uploaded a wrong version. It's fixed, thanks for the input.