PDA

View Full Version : Sci-Fi Deck plans [unpaid]

someguy
07-18-2008, 07:29 PM
Howdy,

I play a game called TRAVELLER. I have been searching all over the internet for deck plans for the BroadSword class Merc Cruiser, but haven't found any that i like.

Are there any TRAVELLER or general Sci-fi fans out there interested in making some custom deck plans for me? I can provide detailed information on layout and the like, if needed.

ravells
07-18-2008, 07:40 PM
Have you looked on the QLI website? There's a few there for the Broadsword.

I may take you up on the custom deckplans. What do you need?

someguy
07-18-2008, 07:49 PM
Simple deck by deck drawings. Can be CC3, Vector maps, PSP, whatever works best for you.

One on my PC's characters (i'm the ref) rolled merc cruiser twice durring prior history. He was kind enogh to write me a good back story as to why he has one but doesn't use it.

Well, our campaign is getting to the point where he's actually going to want to bring it into the game. He's already voiced that to the crew. He sent me the write up for the T20 stats I can post that here if you would like.

ravells
07-18-2008, 08:49 PM
Please post the stats. I'd like to take a look at them.

- That's some prior history. I play classic trav where the best you can get is a scout ship - are you after classic type traveller deckplans (inverted triangles for iris valves etc) or something which you can play on a VTT?

someguy
07-18-2008, 09:34 PM
Here is the spread sheet with all the numbers of the ship.

Important note: I use the half jump fuel optional rule.

Changes from the standard design.

Used dtons freed up by 1/2 jump fuel rule to add +5 AR USP Rating.

Fewer staterooms: their ar only 8 staterooms, each one is reserved for command staff.

Added small cabins: there are 8 small cabins, each one is reserved for an NCO.

Added Barracks: there are 8 barracks. Each barrack berths 4 people (one fire team).

Added 4 10 dton vehical bays: This allows the ship to carry several vehicles of 14,000 vl or less.

someguy
07-18-2008, 09:44 PM
Please post the stats. I'd like to take a look at them.

- That's some prior history. I play classic trav where the best you can get is a scout ship - are you after classic type traveller deckplans (inverted triangles for iris valves etc) or something which you can play on a VTT?

He started as a Marine (5 terms), then became a Merc (3 terms).

In T20, if you are greater than an O5 you gain a +1 on material benifits. It also says that if you become a merc strate out of the military, you start merc at the same rank as you left the military.

He left the Marines as an O3 Force Commander, and was later promoted twice to end prior history as a O5 Colonel. Total of 7 terms.

With his 5 merc materal benefits rolls (2 for terms, 3 from ending rank) he had two 6's. With the choice of either 2 high passages, or a 10 year old Merc Cruiser, the answer was a big giant duh!

ravells
07-19-2008, 04:56 PM
Cool, I'll take a look at it. When are you looking to get this? From 1st August I'll have time to do the work but before then, it's going to be virtually impossible I'm afraid.

Also, how gear-headdy (if that's a word) do you want me to be about this? I tend to go for what looks cool rather than total accuracy!

I have already posted a deck plan here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=444&highlight=traveller). Would that style suit?

someguy
07-19-2008, 05:34 PM
Cool, I'll take a look at it. When are you looking to get this? From 1st August I'll have time to do the work but before then, it's going to be virtually impossible I'm afraid.

Its a byweekly game, so its not a major rush. I'm guessing it will be about two months before it becomes a factor.

Also, how gear-headdy (if that's a word) do you want me to be about this? I tend to go for what looks cool rather than total accuracy!

As long is its reasonably close, that fine.

I have already posted a deck plan here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=444&highlight=traveller). Would that style suit?

Perfict.

ravells
07-19-2008, 05:59 PM
Alright then. I'm in!

I'll post the WIPs on a new thread in the SF section.

Cheers

Ravs

Gamerprinter
07-19-2008, 06:47 PM
Its been almost 20 years since I played the original Traveller. Isn't the Broadsword class merc ship basically a giant sphere with landing gear and a some propulsion accoutremont at the base of the sphere?

I see a big ball landing in the distance... wouldn't that basically describe a Broadsword class ship?

GP

ravells
07-19-2008, 07:09 PM
That's the one!

someguy
07-19-2008, 10:14 PM
Its been almost 20 years since I played the original Traveller. Isn't the Broadsword class merc ship basically a giant sphere with landing gear and a some propulsion accoutremont at the base of the sphere?

I see a big ball landing in the distance... wouldn't that basically describe a Broadsword class ship?

GP

this is a broadsword.

ravells
07-20-2008, 01:30 AM
Was that one drawn by Andrew Boulton?

someguy
07-20-2008, 01:47 AM
Was that one drawn by Andrew Boulton?

If he's the guy that has the Traveller 3D site. That's where I got it.

Traveller3d.com (http://www.traveller3d.com/sizechart/index.htm) Size Comparison page.

someguy
07-20-2008, 01:56 AM
A one more design note.

I don't know how to express this in the design rules, but I envisioned the laser turrets as being on a sliding track. This would allow them to target ships both for and aft of the ship.

ravells
07-20-2008, 06:20 AM
Yep, that's Andrew!

Using Andrew's picture as a reference, do you imagine the track going horizontally or vertically?

Valarian
07-20-2008, 11:05 AM
The Broadsword has always reminded me of the Union class dropship from BattleTech. I wonder which one came first? If it was a FASA design, it could well be crossover from BattleTech.
http://www.mechlivinglegends.net/cpg/albums/vehicles/cl/Union_Dropship.jpg

someguy
07-20-2008, 01:05 PM
Yep, that's Andrew!

Using Andrew's picture as a reference, do you imagine the track going horizontally or vertically?

Vertically.

The Broadsword has always reminded me of the Union class drop-ship from BattleTech. I wonder which one came first? If it was a FASA design, it could well be crossover from BattleTech.

I've always felt the same way. I have even built BattleMech's with the vehicle design rules. 1400 vl per dton.

I would imagine that the Union is about 2,000 dtons though.

Ghalev
07-20-2008, 03:03 PM
The Broadsword has always reminded me of the Union class dropship from BattleTech. I wonder which one came first?

Both have always reminded me of the spherical pirate ships from H. Beam Piper's "Space Viking." One depiction of these are here (along with the whole novel): http://www.gutenberg.org/files/20728/20728-h/20728-h.htm

Not exactly how I usually picture them, but gets the idea across (and it's apparently the original depiction from Analog). Fun book.

ravells
07-20-2008, 03:04 PM
The Broadsword has always reminded me of the Union class dropship from BattleTech. I wonder which one came first? If it was a FASA design, it could well be crossover from BattleTech.

Lol! I used to play mechwarrior and mercenaries (the pc games) a lot many years ago (brilliant they were too for the time), but I never noticed the similarity (gormless as usual). I guess it must be a FASA connection.

someguy
07-20-2008, 08:48 PM
Too bad no one I know in my city plays BattleTech. Its a great table top battle game and it also has a good RP system that connects right in.

I miss my days in Longview, WA. We had such fun with that game.

su_liam
07-21-2008, 01:16 AM
The Happy Fun Ball is actually a fairly archetypal form.

When you've seen one big ball, you've seen 'em all!

someguy
07-21-2008, 01:25 AM
The Happy Fun Ball is actually a fairly archetypal form.

When you've seen one big ball, you've seen 'em all!

BOO. Have Respect for the Pan Galactic Super-Ball O' Death.;)

Redrobes
07-21-2008, 11:21 AM
Too bad no one I know in my city plays BattleTech. Its a great table top battle game and it also has a good RP system that connects right in.

I miss my days in Longview, WA. We had such fun with that game.Thats what Virtual Table Tops (VTT's) were made for y'know. I write one - see sig - but I seem to be out on a limb as most people here seem to run with RPTools. There is a section on these forums about VTTs and some tuts and vids showing them. You might find whole bunch of players running battletech and traveller out there with them. VTTs seem particularly good for battle tech as it has more of a miniature based origin so you can get top down view tokens easier for it.

jfrazierjr
07-21-2008, 11:44 AM
Thats what Virtual Table Tops (VTT's) were made for y'know. I write one - see sig - but I seem to be out on a limb as most people here seem to run with RPTools. There is a section on these forums about VTTs and some tuts and vids showing them. You might find whole bunch of players running battletech and traveller out there with them. VTTs seem particularly good for battle tech as it has more of a miniature based origin so you can get top down view tokens easier for it.

Yea, I seem to "think" I have seen some people over on RPTools forum talking about running Traveller games in the past. Others here who pay closer attention over there(such as RPMiller, Torstan, etc) might be able to provide some more info. Alternately, if interested, you could pop over and post up a thread in the Looking for Game forum and see if that gets you any GM's or players to respond.

torstan
07-21-2008, 12:02 PM
I'd guess you'd get some bites if you posted a Looking for... thread over on www.rptools.net. There's a pretty diverse bunch of gamers over there and it's a lively community.

someguy
07-21-2008, 03:13 PM
I'd guess you'd get some bites if you posted a Looking for... thread over on www.rptools.net. There's a pretty diverse bunch of gamers over there and it's a lively community.

COOL! I've been a hard core table top player, but I guess I can give the internet a try.

ravells
07-24-2008, 03:09 PM
Just a couple of questions:

1. So I have an idea about resolution, is this for print or internet.
2. How many decks would you like (or are you happy to leave that up to me?)

cheers

Ravs

someguy
07-24-2008, 10:29 PM
1. So I have an idea about resolution, is this for print or internet.

Its going to be part of a PDF booklet. I'm planing to do a full write up for the ship.

2. How many decks would you like (or are you happy to leave that up to me?)

Whatever works best. The two ships I saw that where somewhat close to a broadsword had 8 decks.

Brook's Traveller Lowport (http://www.sff.net/people/kitsune/Traveller/bsimages/index.html) This a variant Longsword Class. Its 9 decks.
The Draconis Cluster (http://www.dragonspace.com/trav/sdbplans.htm) This one is a broad sword-ish ship. It has 8 decks.

ravells
07-25-2008, 07:25 AM
New thread started in the Sci-Fi/Modern section.