PDA

View Full Version : Straylands: Cry of Eskalion

Irbis
11-15-2013, 04:49 AM
Overview:
I am developing a video game. A fantasy/RPG one. A very open-ended. Which means it has a main plot/quest, but kind a Elder Scrolls style. So 80% of them gameplay circles not about player finishing the game but about exploration, adventures and traveling. So now i am making a overworld map for S:CoE. This is a huuuuge Work In Progress and many things will change on the way. Because the game is a commercial project i won't be posting the whole map, but it's parts. It's also the first time i am making a fantasy map from scratch.

Whats done:
-water, oceans
-land shape
-forest
-mountains
-basic coloring

Whats NOT done:
-rivers
-roads
-swamps [DONE]
-deserts [DONE]
-final coloring
-details

Screenshots:
14th November 2013

15Th November 2013
Mountains almost finished.

And desert/wasteland region.

And Swampland

16 November
New world region - Deadlands (undeads, demons, evil monsters - you name - they live here.

eViLe_eAgLe
11-15-2013, 05:54 PM
It looks good, my only qualm is that the swampland looks extremely busy to me, too much so.

feanaaro
11-15-2013, 06:03 PM
It looks good, although to my taste is over-saturated, even for a video game.

Lingon
11-16-2013, 05:25 AM
This is really nice! I think the contrast is a bit too high, and the colors a bit too strong, but I guess that's a question of taste :) Good job on the coastline and the textures. Howeve,r I think the swamp needs some more work to come across as a swamp – look at satellite pictures of swamps, and you'll see that there's a lot more water. Rivers and lakes everywhere.

Irbis
11-16-2013, 08:10 AM
This is really nice! I think the contrast is a bit too high, and the colors a bit too strong, but I guess that's a question of taste :) Good job on the coastline and the textures. Howeve,r I think the swamp needs some more work to come across as a swamp – look at satellite pictures of swamps, and you'll see that there's a lot more water. Rivers and lakes everywhere.

I had problems with swamps. I mean, desert is obvious, forest too, hills are hills, but swamps? And the swamps i've seen thru Google Earth doesn't look like swamps at all lol. So i thought about thing.

As for saturation and contrast - well i like it. The game supposed to have kind a HoM&M3 style. Take a look.

Its a very unique mix of fairytale and realistic. I like it. And i am fishing for "nostalgy factor".
Remember guys. The thing you see is not just a map you print and hang on your wall. It'll be interactive and animated. Sea waves, wind, moving trees, rain. For a print i will decrease the saturation - of course.

Irbis
11-16-2013, 08:58 AM
How about now?

Diamond
11-16-2013, 09:21 PM
I guess I'm in the minority in that I like the vivid colors and saturation. It's immediately obvious what each terrain type is - everything's clear and works well together. I had my doubts about the swamp, but that latest version is great.

Special shout-out for that Evil Volcanic Land - epic looking.

Irbis
11-17-2013, 05:30 AM
I guess I'm in the minority in that I like the vivid colors and saturation. It's immediately obvious what each terrain type is - everything's clear and works well together. I had my doubts about the swamp, but that latest version is great.

Special shout-out for that Evil Volcanic Land - epic looking.
THANK YOU!!! Actually thats exactly the reason for the high saturation. I want the player to always know what kind of terrain he is encountering (which is very impportand because diffrent terrain types has diffrent interactions. E.g in forest you can forage for herbs, in snowy mountains you losss your stamina faster, etc)

Thank you for the Evil Lands! I wasn't sure will it blend well. I still have to work on it a bit more. To my taste its not enough "dark and evil" hehe. I want the player to know that "You'll asking for troubles going here".

I am working currently on rivers and i must say i am not very happy with the outcome. They look just so artificial =\
And i don't want to use the ocean texture/blending because thats a totaly diffrent pair of shoes.

Anybody knows a good tutorial for Rivers? (Style of rivers, not shape)

eViLe_eAgLe
11-17-2013, 05:37 AM
THANK YOU!!! Actually thats exactly the reason for the high saturation. I want the player to always know what kind of terrain he is encountering (which is very impportand because diffrent terrain types has diffrent interactions. E.g in forest you can forage for herbs, in snowy mountains you losss your stamina faster, etc)

Thank you for the Evil Lands! I wasn't sure will it blend well. I still have to work on it a bit more. To my taste its not enough "dark and evil" hehe. I want the player to know that "You'll asking for troubles going here".

I am working currently on rivers and i must say i am not very happy with the outcome. They look just so artificial =\
And i don't want to use the ocean texture/blending because thats a totaly diffrent pair of shoes.

Anybody knows a good tutorial for Rivers? (Style of rivers, not shape)

Wow, just saw the evil lands actually. They look really great, amazing job on the Volcano.
As for the rivers, I think it's just a matter of experimenting so in that factor i'm not very helpful.

Lingon
11-17-2013, 06:10 AM
Great improvement on the swamp! Deadlands are looking awesome too. For the rivers, could you do them the same way as the lakes maybe?

Irbis
11-17-2013, 07:46 AM
Wow, just saw the evil lands actually. They look really great, amazing job on the Volcano.
As for the rivers, I think it's just a matter of experimenting so in that factor i'm not very helpful.

Thank you! :D Believe or not but i am very opinion dependant. I mean, if i am working in a new area, such as map making, i am very sensitive when it comes down to feedback. I know it's kind a childish and stupid. Especialy as i am 30 years old, with wife and kid, and i really should know better hehe.

Great improvement on the swamp! Deadlands are looking awesome too. For the rivers, could you do them the same way as the lakes maybe?

Like thanks to your feedback i took another look at the swamps and fixed them. Thats why the 2nd perspective is so valuable. To me it was obvious that those greenish slimy ponds were lakes. I just forgoten that the rest of world is not actually sitting in my head looking with my eyes. Now after the fix i love the swamps even more!
And i might have figured out the rivers. But i need your opinion guys. Take a look at this and tell me what do you think. Pond + 3 test rivers of diffrent width.

Lingon
11-17-2013, 08:03 AM
That looks fantastic, especially the middle river with the strong shadow.

Irbis
11-17-2013, 08:22 AM
That looks fantastic, especially the middle river with the strong shadow.
Thank you! Hmmm stronger shadow you say...? Lemme give it a try.

Diamond
11-17-2013, 09:10 PM
I think you could probably use all three widths in different places, like broadening a river as it flows to the sea or lake. You could create some interesting swampy deltas by varying the widths of the various channels splitting out at the delta.

Irbis
11-20-2013, 04:15 PM
Sadly i won't finish this map.
Time to pack the bag of dreams.

Diamond
11-22-2013, 01:42 AM
Won't finish? Why not? :(

Irbis
11-22-2013, 02:09 AM
Won't finish? Why not? :(
Long story and many reasons. In nutshell: running low on cash. =\

Diamond
11-22-2013, 02:37 AM
Ah, that's a shame. Well, hang onto your work in case your financing improves! Be a shame to waste all that effort...