PDA

View Full Version : The continent of Vaeriel

Dain
11-16-2013, 11:51 AM
Hi guys,
I'm 1 week away from my move to Italy but I still think about posting a map about a project Im currently working on. Mapping is definitely intoxicating ^^
I wonder whether I'll add color, we'll see along the way. It's just the beggining anyway ;)

It's a kind of new style for me to try, despite being quite common for you guys.
Hope you'll like how it starts ^^

davoush
11-16-2013, 04:23 PM
I really like the mountains and terrain style, clean and clear; in fact I have been thinking about a similar style for my own map. How did you get this effect, it looks like they've been hand drawn with a tablet?

Diamond
11-16-2013, 09:25 PM
That's one of my favorite looks/styles of mountains to draw, so you already get a thumbs-up form me. :D

madbird-valiant
11-16-2013, 10:07 PM
Oh god I wish I could draw mountains like that. Beautiful work.

Lingon
11-17-2013, 06:21 AM
Fantastic mountains :) The trees look a little big… A matter of taste, but personally I'd shrink them, or make blob forest (or whatever to call them; not individual trees I mean :P), which I think could fit better with this style.

Ilanthar
11-17-2013, 09:19 AM
Well, looks very promising to me! I Haven't much to add that hasn't already been said. Do you intend to finish it in one week? Or will we see some italian influences :)?

Eilathen
11-17-2013, 11:26 AM
Yep, those moutains are superb. Remind me a lot of some of the mountains that Diamond did (and never uses :x :P).

Dain
11-17-2013, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the kind words ;)

I really like the mountains and terrain style, clean and clear; in fact I have been thinking about a similar style for my own map. How did you get this effect, it looks like they've been hand drawn with a tablet?
They're all hand drawn, indeed. I used to use PS brushes but I now much prefer drawing everything by hand. It makes everything more unique, I guess. I'm currently using Wacom Intuos 3 ;)

Fantastic mountains :) The trees look a little big… A matter of taste, but personally I'd shrink them, or make blob forest (or whatever to call them; not individual trees I mean :P), which I think could fit better with this style.
I'm still thinking about that actually. I've done both and each one has its inner added value and faults. We'll see if I can find a solution that fits well with the rest of the map.

Well, looks very promising to me! I Haven't much to add that hasn't already been said. Do you intend to finish it in one week? Or will we see some italian influences :)?
Well, I won't be able to finish it up before moving. It's gonna be my December private study, I guess ;)

Yep, those moutains are superb. Remind me a lot of some of the mountains that Diamond did (and never uses :x :P).
Did he? Humm, must have a look at it then. Do you remember in which topic it was?

Eilathen
11-17-2013, 01:31 PM
Did he? Humm, must have a look at it then. Do you remember in which topic it was?

He did. In this map, for example: http://www.cartographersguild.com/finished-maps/15749-successor-states-old-empire.html
Or here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/finished-maps/18131-altamira-color-version.html

- Max -
11-17-2013, 01:45 PM
Gorgeous stuff as usual, though it's very pleasant to see you draw some non-cities maps :) Thumbs up for that!

Caenwyr
11-18-2013, 10:39 AM
I'm very much in love with your mountains - as most of us seem to be! However, I feel I really must make a small remark about that lake that doesn't overflow into the ocean. There actually are lakes that do that (Salt Lake e.g.), but it's a pretty uncommon trait, especially when there's no significant obstacles like massive mountain ranges to be seen.

Dain
11-20-2013, 11:03 AM
Here is a small update before the move ^^

Much about finding a nice style. Grayscale so far, but color eventually ...
Changed the forests/ trees btw ;)

Many things need to be adjusted still, of course. Contrast, linework sometimes a bit dodgy, consistency, etc.

- Max -
11-20-2013, 11:11 AM
Great stuff so far :) Come on, get some colors ;)

Dain
11-20-2013, 11:35 AM
Great stuff so far :) Come on, get some colors ;)
Didn't they say that having good values first is the best way to get a great illustration? :D
But I will ^^

tainotim
11-20-2013, 02:31 PM
That is absolutely stunning and very inspirational. Love it!

Neyjour
11-20-2013, 02:43 PM
Beautiful!! Can't wait to see this in colour! :)

Diamond
11-20-2013, 03:34 PM
Incredible work, Dain. You could leave it as a grayscale and it would be fantastic; color will be a wowser.

Dain
11-20-2013, 03:47 PM
Incredible work, Dain. You could leave it as a grayscale and it would be fantastic; color will be a wowser.
Thanks,
You know that it's all because of you and your inspirational artworks, don't you? Well, you should ;)