PDA

View Full Version : SpellJammer Lamprey Ship

Bogie
11-18-2013, 02:55 AM
I will be GMing an old school SpellJammer game at TotalCon (February in Massachusets), and I needed some new ships.
This is based on the TSR ship, but is mostly my design.
The space background is by Stratomunchkin at DeviantArt.com

- Max -
11-18-2013, 03:06 AM
I really like the ships shapes that really gives that SpellJammer feel :) Though I'm not fully convinced by the background.

Bogie
11-18-2013, 11:26 PM
You should have seen the background before I reduced the brightness by 70%! Still it is a bit over the top.
Let's try it with a plain starfield.

arsheesh
11-19-2013, 02:29 AM
Very nice! I'm sure it will be a hit in your campaign.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Bogie
11-19-2013, 08:51 AM
Thanks, I also need to make a larger Vodani Ship for the PCs to attack.

nyogtha
11-24-2013, 12:09 PM
Thanks, I also need to make a larger Vodani Ship for the PCs to attack.

Very nice Boogie :)
I like it !

jtougas
11-24-2013, 12:47 PM
Oh you HAVE to keep that original background. That is number one old school !! Great looking ships :)

Bogie
03-02-2014, 02:49 PM
Now that TotalCon is over I can post the map of the Vodoni Wolfship. The game went very well considering it was Sunday morning at 8am.
It was a fun weekend. I got to play in old school D&D games DM'd by industry guests Tim Kask, Frank Mentzer, & Michael Curtis.

I know the background is a little busy, but it's to late to change it now.

Big Mac
04-30-2014, 04:27 PM
I wish I was near to Massachusets, so I could have gone to this. It sounds really great. I've written a thread about your game at the Spelljammer forum at The Piazza (http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12083), to let other fans know this happened. Did you write the adventure yourself, or was it the start of the standard TSR campaign for Vodoni?

I know the background is a little busy, but it's to late to change it now.

One thing you might want to consider about the background, if you run this again, or if you want to run other SJ adventures, is that, if you can create a more neutral background (maybe a starfield) for multiple ship deckplans, it might be possible for the different deckplans to fit together. Imagine, for example, the PCs in the Lampray Ship ramming the Vodoni Huntship. If you literally placed the Lampray ship map on top of the Vodoni Huntship map, and lined up the ram with part of the Huntship, it would be a great way to show the players the area where the boarding action would take place. :D

A more neutral starfield background might make that easier to do.

You might also want to consider making a transparant background, printing the ships out on acetate and then laying down a starfield on the gaming table with the deckplans on top. If you did that, you could build up a library of ships and have them dock with each other, without any of the background of the "top" ship covering up any of the cool details on the "bottom" ship.

Bogie
04-30-2014, 06:38 PM
That is a cool idea using a transparent acetate sheet for the ship. Never thought of that.

The SJ game I ran at Totalcon was one I created, but calling it an "Adventure" would be a stretch. " Prince Andru's wife and child have been kidnapped and are being held on this ship by a group of Vodoni. Attack the ship with your Lamprey ship, board it and try to rescue them." end of story, the time slot was only 4 hrs, So just a quick hack n Slash. I didn't even write it down just played it off the top of my head with nothing more than the map and a list of monster stats.

madcowchef
04-30-2014, 07:10 PM
Bogie spelljams by the seat of his pant, then plays it down.

Big Mac
05-27-2014, 07:26 PM
That is a cool idea using a transparent acetate sheet for the ship. Never thought of that.

If you ever print out anything like this, I'd love to see picture.

The SJ game I ran at Totalcon was one I created, but calling it an "Adventure" would be a stretch. " Prince Andru's wife and child have been kidnapped and are being held on this ship by a group of Vodoni. Attack the ship with your Lamprey ship, board it and try to rescue them." end of story, the time slot was only 4 hrs, So just a quick hack n Slash. I didn't even write it down just played it off the top of my head with nothing more than the map and a list of monster stats.

I suppose it is more of an encounter than an adventure, but I still would have loved to have played.

I'd love to be able to post your monsters over at the thread I created at The Piazza, so that other people could have a go at running your mini-adventure. Are they standard Vodoni monsters or did you make any specials? Did you give any of the breeders names?

jugabyte
05-27-2014, 08:41 PM
Nice! Spelljammer, man that takes me back to the days...

Bogie
05-28-2014, 12:51 AM
Thanks Guys, glad you like the maps.

Since you are interested Big Mac, here is a picture of the two ships (with figurines on them) about to start the battle.

Here is a rough draft of how the game went:

the party are the strike team on board the lamprey ship. All the PCs are 7th lvl or multiclass 6/6 lvl.

I started by having them on the ship flying back to the Rock of Brall transporting some questionably legal cargo for some merchants.
Unknown to the merchant their cargo contains a couple of Yitsan eggs which hatch, quickly grow and then start feeding on the crew.
They are a lot like the predator on the first Alien movie, and the party gets thrown right into a fight.

When they dock in Brall the harbormaster quickly tells the captain that Prince Andru's wife and child were on a ship that was attacked
by a Vodoni warship. The crew was slaughtered and the wife & son were taken. A lone survivor was able to tell what happened.
All ships have been sent out to try to locate the Vodoni ship and rescue the royal family. A large reward is offered for who ever succeeds.
( not to original, but it is for a 4 hr con game )

The captain remember seeing an unusual shaped Vodoni ship near an asteroid field in the opposite direction that everyone else is searching.
He figures the Vodoni ship would go back there by a longer route to throw off the hunt and he thinks he can get there first.

So the Lamprey ship flies straight to the asteroid field, finds a large asteroid to hide behind and waits. The captain knows that the Vodoni
ship will come out of spelljamming speed due to the asteroids and won't be aware of them as quickly. He hope he can ambush the larger ship
before they know what is happening.

At that point I threw in a random encounter with Scavers, just to keep the players busy.

Of course the captain's plan worked, the Lamprey came up under the Wolf ship, and after some quick strafing with magic and missile fire,
the party boarded the Wolf ship. Big Fight ensues. like I said, pretty much Hack & Slash. I did have the players work out the strategy for the
ambush and the attack.

On the ship were 2 dozen Vodoni sailors, ( normal appearing men that I gave stats as 3rd lvl fighters ), 10 Vodoni Enforcers, and 6 Vodoni Conquerers.
The Captain/Helmsman was a Breeder/Mage, but they never encountered him.

Hope that is the info you were looking for, Big Mac.

jtougas
05-29-2014, 12:55 AM
Just great Bogie !! I wish I had been able to make it to that event. I have always had a interest in spell/planejammer type ships and this one is wonderful. :)