PDA

View Full Version : November 2013 Entry - Lingon's untitled

Lingon
11-21-2013, 05:16 PM
So I have this conworld I'm slowly constructing – or, well, I have lots really, but most are just fragments and there's only one that I think of as "my conworld" – and I've realized that I have to make a globe, I just can't get the continent shapes the way I want them by drawing them flat. I've been wanting to make this globe for months, just never gotten around to it. Now I have :)

I'm doing it a bit backwards compared to the other entries it seems, I printed a blank coordinate grid and glued that to a ball, and drew the shapes with pencil. Planning to ink it and paint with watercolors, my usual way. So far, it's sorta confusing to look at I think, just a bunch of grey lines, but it was a lot of work getting here so I want to show it anyway :D

### Latest WIP ###

And a pic of the continent on the other side:

Maybe i'll even come up with a name for the world sometime :P

DearCyrus
11-21-2013, 06:23 PM
Pretty darn cool!

Azelor
11-21-2013, 06:37 PM
Cool ! I just hope that the globe shape won't hinder your work for adding details.

madbird-valiant
11-21-2013, 10:57 PM
I wish there was some way to use photoshop on a globe-shaped canvas. Would make everyone's life so much easier.

Very impressive man, well done.

Lingon
11-22-2013, 04:55 PM
Thanks, guys! Here's today's progress, I've inked the continents and rivers and began coloring. Setting the most finished section as the latest WIP.

### Latest WIP ###

arsheesh
11-22-2013, 08:42 PM
Wow! You really took the bull by the horns with this one Lingon; I love that this is "literally" a globe. Looking marvelous so far.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

madbird-valiant
11-22-2013, 09:36 PM
Beautiful work.

Lingon
11-23-2013, 12:22 PM
Thanks, Arsheesh and Madbird! The encouragement made me paint a lot today :D I finished all the land, so now it's oceans, touch-ups and labeling left. Good that there's a few days remaining, I'll need them to practice my handwriting :D

### Latest WIP ###

Diamond
11-23-2013, 05:04 PM
...Wow. I'm stunned. You've got my vote for sure. The colors are amazing.

Are you going to use some kind of lacquer or something on it when you're done to seal and protect it?

Chashio
11-23-2013, 08:10 PM
I probably won't be around for the voting period but, Lingon, this is cool. And you just gave me an idea. Log that away for when I'm less busy.

So. Cool. :D

Good luck with the labeling.

gpig
11-24-2013, 12:17 AM
excellent job! I want that world in my home, on one of those big rotating globe tables, with the wheels and drink holders . . . yeah!

Nice,
Gpig

Lingon
11-24-2013, 09:49 AM
@Diamond: Thank you! The colors are very influenced by Torstan's ASoIaF maps, but I'm pretty happy with how they turned out too :)

@Chashio: You're back! Thanks for stopping by :) I hope the idea you got was globe-related – I have to see a Chashio globe! :D

@Gpig: Thanks! This world is only mine though :P

Here's what I've done today:

### Latest WIP ###

Ilanthar
11-24-2013, 10:38 AM
Wow, that's excellent Lingon! I like the general feeling.

It makes me wonder how some fantasy maps would look like on a globe...

Lingon
11-25-2013, 11:38 AM
Thanks, Ilanthar! I've been thinking of other fantasy worlds on globes too actually… Maybe I'll make a half globe with Westeros and Essos sometime… Googling "fantasy globe" hardly turns up anything relevant, so it seems like a rather unexplored area. I'll definitely be making more, both because I've learned a lot from this one that I want to use on a larger, more detailed globe, and because no-one else is doing it :P

So, I've been practicing my hand-writing… Developed a simple font (or whatever it's called when it's by hand), and doodled random words. Does it look decent?

Neyjour
11-25-2013, 11:54 AM
Wow...this is looking REALLY fantastic! Can't wait to see the final product! And as always, beautiful landmass shapes, detailing, and colours. :)

I love that "font" as well! You should turn it into an actual font...unless you want to keep for yourself, of course. ;) :)

Lingon
11-26-2013, 11:51 AM
Thanks so much, Neyjour! I'd love to share the font if you want to use it, unfortunately I have no experience with software for making the actual font files. But it's on my list of stuff to learn when I have time :) Of course, I could post a scan of the entire alphabet and let someone else do the work for me… Maybe you'd even be up for it?

Neyjour
11-26-2013, 04:48 PM
Same here...I have no idea how to make fonts. But that's really awesome that you'd be willing to share it! It's very pretty! You should definitely post it and see if someone would be willing to make it into a font. :)

Lingon
11-27-2013, 12:16 PM
Hopefully we are not representative of this forum's font making skills then :D I'll just have to polish the letters a little and write them so they'd be easy to separate into individual images, then I'll see if anyone's willing :)

I've written the names I know onto the globe now, and while I think the writing itself turned out decent, the readability became really crappy… It works in that big desert, but anywhere a label crosses a river it becomes very hard to make out. I'm thinking of highlighting the letters with red to make them stand out more, could that work? Or would it make them stand out too much? I'd love some input on this, I'm currently leaning towards the red but please stop me if you think it'd be idiocy… :P

Carbus
11-27-2013, 03:26 PM
Great work Lingon!
I can`t imagine all the hard work you must be going through. I suck at manual jobs, but your planet is turning out great! For the red highlight, why don`t you text it with some transparent material, IDK, just an idea!
ps: What about a moon orbiting it? xD

Keep up the good work!

Neyjour
11-28-2013, 12:03 AM
I'm also thinking that a thin light red would look good with the brown text, but maybe you could test out some different colours digitally, just to get a general idea of what might look the best? :) And maybe darken up the text a little bit on the land portions (like you've done on the bottom left)?

Lingon
11-28-2013, 04:06 AM
Carbus: Thanks! It's not that hard really, the most annoying bit was getting the paper gores onto the globe semi-neatly, but after that it's not too different from painting on a flat surface. Which I'm used to ;) I think we're on the same page about the transparent material, I was planning to just add rather subtle coloring, but letting the black/grey/brown shine through.

Neyjour: Great idea to test it digitally! (Why didn't I think of that? :D) Here's a test with red, blue, purple and white. I think I like purple the best, it stands out but matches the slight purple tone of the mountains… sort of?

L. Lord
11-28-2013, 07:42 AM
Nice job. I like it.

Diamond
11-28-2013, 04:38 PM
Why limit yourself to one color? You could have different colors signify different things - country names, geographical features, cities, seas, etc.

It's looking outstanding, by the way.

Lingon
11-28-2013, 04:55 PM
Thanks! Yeah, several colors is a good idea, not sure it would work so well on this one though since I'm only writing nation names on it (cities and geography would make it crowded as the globe is quite small, 20 cm in diameter, and seas I haven't come up with any names for yet :P). I could use different colors on different nations, but I'm worried that would look a little random… I think I'd like to keep the color scheme pretty tight. And I'm getting more and more convinced that purple is the best option…

Neyjour
11-28-2013, 09:00 PM
I think I like the red the best, but purple also looks quite good as well! Although, maybe try it a tiny bit darker? But yeah, either one of those would be a good choice, IMO. :)

Diamond
11-28-2013, 09:02 PM
Yep, if you want to limit your color scheme, purple looks best IMO. I didn't realize the globe was that small; it looks much bigger for some reason.

Lingon
11-29-2013, 12:30 PM
Thanks guys, I went ahead with a dark purple :) It didn't make a very big difference, turned out extremely dark actually, but I think it improved readability slightly… Anyway, the globe itself is done now, and I've taken some slightly less terrible photos and worked on a presentation of it too. I chose a style that contrasts strongly with the globe's. One day to go, so there's still time for improvement :)

### Latest WIP ###

Llannagh
11-29-2013, 12:35 PM
Dude, that's just brilliant work. Really cool!

Lingon
11-30-2013, 03:27 PM
Thanks Llannagh!

Lingon
12-01-2013, 08:45 AM
And on a related note but not part of the challenge entry, here's the beginning of a flat map of the main continent…

I don't know how soon I'll have time to do any more work on this map, so I didn't want to start a new thread for it yet. Think of it as a sneak peak ;)