PDA

View Full Version : Less pixellated coastlines?

Asdrubael
11-23-2013, 06:53 PM
Hi guys! I've been lurking for quite a long time while I make a map for my headworld. I'm trying to figure out how to get less pixelated coastlines since I used the cloudfilter/threshold layer to generate my landmasses, but now my coastlines are pretty jagged and weird looking when you look at it in full res. Which kind of goes against how I wanted it to look in the first place. Basically, I'm looking to see if I can fix them without needing to pen in the coasts myself. If not, then I guess that's okay, probably would go better with the style that I'm working with anyway.

Here's my map so you can look at it.

Thanks in advance!

Redrobes
11-23-2013, 07:33 PM
Use a "magic wand" tool to select the coast line. Expand the selection 1 pixel, expand it using feather by about 3 more pixels and then use a heavy blur like gaussian 2 or 3 or so. Worked pretty good for me on a test swatch of your map.

Azelor
11-23-2013, 07:35 PM
What software are you using ? If your coasts are on a separate layer you could apply some blur effect and lower the opacity.

Great map by the way !

Asdrubael
11-23-2013, 09:27 PM
Awesome! That helped a bunch! Thanks guys. c: And I'm using photoshop. I guess I should have mentioned that huh.

waldronate
11-24-2013, 02:43 AM
THe artwork is very nice. Your rivers are running backwards from gravity-based expectations though (water starts as small streams and flows downhill, gathering together in rivers before getting to the oceans).

Asdrubael
11-24-2013, 11:37 PM
Thank you! Darn, didn't think about that. Thanks though, I'll definitely fix it. Now I need to figure out how to not get nit-picky with projections.

Zahr
12-05-2013, 01:20 PM
You can also do the initial coastline map in a higher resolution than the final desired one and then downsize the image when you're done the coasts, leading to a smooth appearance, although this does make adjusting the coast later a bit tricky.

feanaaro
12-05-2013, 01:52 PM
Also, using a thinner stroke for coastlines would help in lessening the pixellated appearance.

WillyWombat
12-05-2013, 05:05 PM
I wonder if you might get a prettier result if you dropped the stroke and replaced it with an inner glow edge instead. Make it a really thin dark colored multiply that fades off as it gets more inland. It might match your coloring a bit better.