PDA

View Full Version : WIP - Map of Westeros [GoT/ASoIaF]

A.Woods
11-28-2013, 10:13 PM
Decided to practice making large regional maps by doing a hand-drawn map of one of my favourite novel series and television shows.

I took an existing map and blew it up to fit the paper I had and divided in so I could print it off on my little B&W laser printer. I then cut out the general continent shape and taped the pieces together to make a template that I outlined and added the islands later.

So far I have added detail to the coasts and penciled in the rivers, lakes, and mountains freehand. Next step is to pencil in some titles/labels and start inking in.

Sorry for the crappy photo, it's too large to scan or anything like that. Questions and comments welcome!

Falconius
11-29-2013, 08:42 AM
Is it wrong of me to say that as much as I love the series I don't particularly like the maps so much?

Anyway That is looking good. You might want to put in a scale, it drives me mad to no end that one isn't included with the maps in the books. On Stannis' march to Winterfell from Deepwood Motte the distance is said to a hundred leagues. I don't think anyone reckoned on any sort of projection for this map so I'm assuming it is all "actual size" but if it isn't that means the distortion from the top to bottom is probably pretty severe.

That is going to look fantastic once you start getting in in. Are you planning on any sort of colouring to the map or is going to be B/W?

Azelor
11-29-2013, 12:21 PM
I agree with Falconius, the continent have a really odd shape but you did a good job. it's rather pale, are you going to digitalize it ?

Falconius, please avoid spoilers.

A.Woods
11-29-2013, 01:00 PM
Yeah, I agree with both you and Azelor, the shape of the continents make the maps look a little off, they definitely aren't my favourite maps from a fantasy novel series.

I've pencilled in a scale, luckily the map I used for a template had one, it's 1cm=50 miles. The entire piece is approximately 75cm long x 35 wide. So looking at a total length of around 3500 miles for the continent. And yeah I believe there is some distortion making the north appear larger, similar to the mercator projection on Earth.

Thanks! And yes I will be colouring it, got a start on some of the elements last night. I rarely do just plain ink/BW maps, they can feel abit sparse especially for large maps like this. I'll post an update later today.

A.Woods
11-29-2013, 01:44 PM
No digitizing, unfortunately I have yet to acquire the skills necessary to do that. I don't even know how I will scan the thing cause it's so large. But don't worry about how light it is, once I ink it in and add detail features will be much more defined.

A.Woods
11-29-2013, 09:28 PM
Made some progress, currently I have finished the rivers and am half-way done the mountains and forests. I also have added some labels and titles and added some detail to the border... Not sure what I am going to fill the gap in the border for the final product but open to suggestions.

There's also a roughed in title and scale at the top right, I may change it. Thoughts?

Falconius
11-30-2013, 12:11 PM
Falconius, please avoid spoilers.Not much of a spoiler there, but I'm sorry I didn't even think of it. :x I was just trying to help him with the scale since that's the only mention of one I can think of in the books.

Azelor
11-30-2013, 12:22 PM
Yes the scale is pretty unclear but I always had the impression that the time for traveling was too short considering the difference of climates between the regions. But anyway, it's fantasy.

@ A.Woods : The border seems pretty slim to add elements. It's fine as it is now.

A.Woods
12-01-2013, 01:27 AM
UPDATE II:

Finished both the mountains and forests. Also labeled many of the bays, capes, and islands and inked in the title and scale.

Next step will be adding the castles, holds, villages. cities, and ruins. But for now I feel like it's really coming together!

Lingon
12-01-2013, 08:48 AM
This is starting to look really good!

Werthead
12-01-2013, 02:21 PM
On the scale issue, the Wall is almost exactly 300 miles/100 leagues, so you can just use that as a scale bar. The continent as a whole is about 3,000 miles from the Wall to the south coast, with roughly 700 miles north of the Wall to the top of the maps in the books.

the time for traveling was too short considering the difference of climates between the regions

The books are very ambiguous on travelling times for this reason (it almost 3 years between the start of the first book and the end of the fifth book, which is rather more than I think most people realise). After - quite literally - years of studing this issue over on the Westeros forums, the consensus is that the travelling times/distances do work out as broadly correct.

A.Woods
12-14-2013, 02:14 AM
All done exams and finally have time to get back at this map, so I have now added all the castles, strongholds, and villages along with inking in the coastline. Next is going to be a lot of shading in the different biomes and the ocean. Might tryout adding some watercolours.

Final tough will be aging the map with coffee and tea. Will add another update before I do that. Only thing I am disappointed in thus far is my labelling. I screwed up inking in a couple places and I feel my font/writing could use some work.

Feedback Welcome! :D

A.Woods
12-16-2013, 09:28 PM
Almost finished, added the base colour with coloured pencil (first attachment) of the different biomes and then added a layer of watercolour (second attachment). It's one of my first times working with water colour but I'm actually pretty happy how it turned out.

Final step is to just age it a bit to mute some of the colours and make it appear a little older and distressed. I'll post the final map in Finished Map when it's all said and done.