PDA

View Full Version : [CG Choice Map] Central Alemnia

Daelin
12-01-2013, 09:03 AM
Hello there.

So, for this map, my goal was just to make the most crisp, fat-looking mountains possible, and let the other elements, like forests and rivers, be secondary. I tried doing some coloring work, but I kept thinking the bone-color monochrome feel of the land was cooler, so that's how I kept it.
Anyway, once I had the land done, I (as usual) ended up plastering it with way too much legend, so I've included two versions of the map, one with the legend, and one without, for whichever you prefer.

59488 59489

Let me know what you think.

schattentanz
12-01-2013, 09:31 AM
Very nice!

I like the mix of fantasy names side to side with modern age / sci fi names ..
Looks like a cool campaign world for a RPG :)

Eilathen
12-01-2013, 10:45 AM
Wow! I love it, Daelin! A very beautiful style. I hope to see more maps out of you...and soon :D
Is there more of this world...or will there be ;)

I don't think i can rep. you yet, but i will give it a try. Have a "like" as well.

Ilanthar
12-01-2013, 10:54 AM
Awesome! I think I just love everything in it!

Lingon
12-01-2013, 11:02 AM
:o Gorgeous! The mountains, the forests, the rivers, the land shape, the colors, the labeling, the cartouche… It's stunning, all around! Can't rep you, but I liked and rated at least. It's an amazing map.

Sapiento
12-01-2013, 11:36 AM
Really good stuff!

arsheesh
12-01-2013, 02:28 PM
I really like this style Daelin, the mountains and rivers are fantastic! Sorry I can't rep you at this time.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Viking
12-01-2013, 03:09 PM
Like others have said, this is a beautiful piece of work :)

Diamond
12-01-2013, 03:19 PM
Great work (as usual from you)! Some of the best looking mountains I've seen, and even if you weren't specifically trying, all the other elements look beautiful also. I think the only thing I'm not a huge fan of is the thick, solid borders; in my opinion they would've worked better as thinner and dashed. But that's a small nitpick and really doesn't detract from the greatness of this significantly.

Oh by the way, I think having the legend out there does work better. Helps balance out all that empty space in the ocean.

Schwarzkreuz
12-01-2013, 04:15 PM
I am impressed, but cant rep again at this point. The blending of the Land features is realy stunning.

How do you create the Mountains? Are they completely handdrawn or do they requier some Rendering Programs?

Daelin
12-02-2013, 01:56 AM
How do you create the Mountains? Are they completely handdrawn or do they requier some Rendering Programs?

The mountains are handdrawn, but not by me, though. They are a combination of the reliefs found on shadedreliefarchive.com, scaled way down and with the white background erased, and a layer beneath that, with a basic bevel/emboss effect, which I used to add light and shadow, to add some depth. It's a lot of cutting and pasting. There are bits and pieces of South America, the Balkans, Israel and everywhere else in there. So, I guess I have to give the CIA a lot of credit for this map. :)

Schwarzkreuz
12-02-2013, 04:29 AM
Oh, cool sources. I was doing my own Relief map too. Couse i realy disliked complete bevel/emboss effect maps, they all (including ym own) look a bit cheesy. So i went for Wilbur yesterday and tested some new technics togethter with Viking.

Sebastian Bowles
12-02-2013, 08:04 AM
Looking good!

Bryan Livingston
04-17-2014, 05:20 PM
Hello there.

Love it! Would you consider licensing this map for this project: http://www.cartographersguild.com/mapmaking-requests/26861-%241-000-game-map-graphics-commision.html

CurtisWrightt
05-06-2014, 10:05 AM
Where is the compass from? It's really nice

A.Woods
05-07-2014, 12:43 AM
Really enjoy the general shape of the landmass and think it's neat how you chose to stick with the a more monochrome look, gives it a cooler feel. The central compass rose also give it a good symmetry and I think you achieved what you are looking for with the mountains.

lomedhel
06-06-2014, 02:43 AM
The mountains are handdrawn, but not by me, though. They are a combination of the reliefs found on shadedreliefarchive.com, scaled way down and with the white background erased, and a layer beneath that, with a basic bevel/emboss effect, which I used to add light and shadow, to add some depth. It's a lot of cutting and pasting. There are bits and pieces of South America, the Balkans, Israel and everywhere else in there. So, I guess I have to give the CIA a lot of credit for this map. :)

Thanks for pointing out this resource! Having a real life reference helps a lot to get the shapes you want in the right place.

Eric Roylance
06-13-2014, 05:57 AM
This is such a beautiful map, it's really stunning. I really like the choice of the subdued tones, it definitely gives it an interesting feel.

J.Edward
06-16-2014, 08:51 PM
This is a fantastic map. I enjoy it every time I view it. I really like the choice of red text on the subdued background.

stormweasel
06-17-2014, 03:55 PM
Gosh, I know its been a few months but I am new here and just discovering this. This is really spectacular and I can't say enough about it.