PDA

View Full Version : November Challenge Voting - Map a Globe

arsheesh
12-01-2013, 03:32 PM
Well another monthly challenge has come to an end. The challenge was to map a globe. No guidelines were given as to how this was to be done, and it is interesting to see the creative range of techniques people employed to do this. You can check them out here:

September Challenge Thumbs (http://www.cartographersguild.com/challenge_thumbs.php?type=regular)

Please vote for your favorite map(s), and be sure to be generous about repping those who participated in the challenge. The voting will last for 4 days and the winner will receive a golden compass and the praise, admiration and envy of his peers. May the best map win.

Diamond
12-01-2013, 04:24 PM
My votes went to Carbus, Lingon, and jbgibson.

1. Carbus - another outstanding entry. I love all the work and detail you put into it.
2. Lingon - well, does this vote really need an explanation? :D
3. jbgibson - for a literally last-minute entry, awesome job. Extra points (and my vote) for the animated GIF.

Hai-Etlik
12-01-2013, 07:31 PM
Of those who did make a globe, or something that could be made into one, Lingon has the best world design, the best cartography and design, the best aesthetic presentation, and the best physical completed globe. So he gets my only vote.

EricPoehlsen
12-02-2013, 02:11 AM
Lingon and jbgibson got my votes for presenting globes.
I did not find the time to cut mine out and glue it together ...

Thurlor
12-02-2013, 03:13 AM
Lingon - A great job of wrapping flat paper onto a globe whilst presenting a good map.

Carbus - So neat and tidy.

fabio p
12-02-2013, 08:34 AM
I voted for Lingon and Carbus.

Lingon has created a marvel and in so little time. I really have few words and much awe.

Carbus: hard to resist a world so detailed, a choice of colors so subtle and effective, a simple but evocative heraldry. It's been a work of intense dedication for sure and it ended out with something beatiful.

Neyjour
12-02-2013, 11:38 PM
These were my two votes:

1) Lingon's Untitled by Lingon - A beautiful little globe! Wonderfully crafted, drawn, and coloured. I keep looking at the collage of photos and wishing I could hold it in my own hands! :)

2) Valtor Homeworld by Carbus - This is such a gorgeous map! Excellent use of colour, and wonderful design and presentation! :)

Eilathen
12-03-2013, 07:39 AM
Votes: First place goes to Lingon, followed by jbgibson. They both did the globe-thing, which was way cool.

Honorable mention to Carbus - a very clean and complete worldmap.

Ilanthar
12-03-2013, 01:32 PM
My votes are for Lingon and Carbus. An incredible inspiring globe for Lingon, and all the details and representations "around the map" of Carbus are really fine.

Jaxilon
12-04-2013, 02:53 AM
Lingon, that's outstanding.

Cunning Cartographer
12-04-2013, 04:10 AM
Couldn't decide between Lingon and Carbus, so voted for them both.

Seeing Lingon's as an actual complete map, combined with the style just looks great.

Carbu's presentation and the amount of effort and detail in the layout is pretty amazing.

jbgibson
12-05-2013, 12:34 AM
Yay for the two D20 icosahedrons! I first thought I'd try to do mine on an origami waterbomb... but I couldn't figure out how to transform a projection I could think in, to a sheet of paper I could fold. Not that I've ever folded a very nice origami balloon. There is a real-world map out there on the interwebs to fold up and blow up, but the faces looked so scattered I didn't want to try. Carbus, you created that gorgeous map in 20 hours? Wow. What I get in 20 hours is usually about the crayon-on-paper-towel stage of beauty. I'm slooooooow. For such a work of art to also be pretty quick is double amazing.

But it just didn't wind up as a physical thing. Lingon, yours wound up spherical AND was a marvel of mappery, so you get my vote.

I'll put up a thread showing my experiment in a bit better form, after the voting's done. Basically, as far as my entry got, I proved to myself I need a substrate to mount the gores on. So I invested $1.68 in a standard kid's rubber ball, about 8 inches diameter, and I've been snapping some how-to shots. Thanks for the votes, y'all!

Carbus
12-05-2013, 08:48 AM
Hey guys thank you all for your kind words!
I voted are for Lingon (not much to say have I) and jbgibson, both of them tried something physical, that demands a lot of work. This is something I respect, I suck at physical things, and since my only skills remains digitally I went to use the G.Projector as a base for my map. And also I could finally finish a World Map, something I wanted to do since I began mapping, that`s why I keep on doing this challenges, they give me an incentive to try new things!

Great maps guys! And congrats to Lingon, well deserved!

Lingon
12-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Just realized I hadn't voted yet :) I chose Jbgibson, for making a physical globe, and Carbus, for making an awesome world map. (Yes, I changed my mind about your map not being globey enough, Carbus ;))

Thanks a bunch for the comments and votes, everyone! I've wanted to make that globe for ever, so it was really great to finally get it done :D

arsheesh
12-05-2013, 11:40 PM
Well this was a very close contest this month. Congrats to Lingon for a lovely map, and Carbus, even though you didn't take home the prize this month, you had an outstanding entry.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Diamond
12-06-2013, 12:49 AM
Congrats, Lingon! Well-deserved.

Neyjour
12-06-2013, 02:57 PM
Congratz Lingon! :D

Psylence
12-06-2013, 04:50 PM
Grats Lingon!!

jbgibson
12-06-2013, 04:56 PM
Very well done, Lingon - that's a map I'll enjoy going back to, to peruse repeatedly.

Lingon
12-08-2013, 04:40 AM
Thanks guys, now I just need two more and I'm almost in the Diamond league :P Nah, but really, big thanks to everyone here at the Guild, without the stuff I've learnt from you I'd not even have dared to start this globe. And I really wanted a globe :D