PDA

View Full Version : Hello All!

BrandF
12-05-2013, 12:43 AM
Hello everyone, my name is Brandon and I have always loved maps and almost always have had one for a desktop background. I have just recently became interesting in making maps of my own, last day or so, after seeing the article in Wired interviewing Jonathan Roberts (www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/12/fantasy-maps-cartography-tips-jonatha-roberts-game-of-thrones/). I found this site and it looks like a great resource! I have attached an image of my first island coastline that I made in Gimp following this tutorial by Mike Summers (http://oldguygaming.com/realistic-coastlines-revisited). I hope to be posting some finished maps soon!

Brandon

EDIT: Fixed broken link

Endyr
12-05-2013, 11:13 AM
Hey nice to meet you! So far so good on that island.

Also heads up- that wired link is dead

BrandF
12-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Thanks, it's not much but I liked the way it looked. Also, thanks for the heads up about the broken link, it is fixed now.

arsheesh
12-05-2013, 03:06 PM
Welcome to the Guild Brandon! The landmasses look good so far. Is this the actual size of the map or have you just uploaded a low-res image?

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

BrandF
12-05-2013, 03:36 PM
Welcome to the Guild Brandon! The landmasses look good so far. Is this the actual size of the map or have you just uploaded a low-res image?

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Thanks! It is just the low res image. I didn't want to upload a big file.

WillyWombat
12-05-2013, 06:00 PM
Yeah, that's some solid fractal edges there! I'll have to check out that tutorial. Thanks for the heads up.