PDA

View Full Version : Satellite and Relief Map Experimentation

Viking
12-05-2013, 11:33 PM
With some coaxing from Schwarzkreuz, I've done some experimentation with the relief style map and mixed it with satellite imagery. Here is what I've done so far:
In the one with no ocean, I was deliberately experimenting with the coastal outlines Diamond uses so well though I guess it may not fit the style of the land so well.

Schwarzkreuz
12-05-2013, 11:48 PM
Expanding the skillsets is never wrong. And what is learned in a so much different style can be aplied for diverse results sonewhere else.

Diamond
12-06-2013, 12:54 AM
Ooooooh, nice! That looks darn pretty.

Lingon
12-06-2013, 06:48 AM
Very nice, though I agree that the Diamond style coasts are better suited for a more painted look. How about a single blue line instead, just a little darker than the ocean, like in modern atlases?

- Max -
12-06-2013, 07:22 AM
Great stuff Viking!

Ilanthar
12-06-2013, 09:37 AM
Excellent! The first one has gorgeous colors to me!
And I completely agree with SK about expanding the skillsets.

Eilathen
12-06-2013, 10:41 AM
Wow, cool stuff, Viking. I do agree with you though, i don't think those styles mesh well with each other in the white-ocean map (on the left). But the landshape of that one is really something! I hope you'll develop this into a world map.
The second map on the right is looking pretty good as well.

arsheesh
12-06-2013, 01:55 PM
Looking great so far Viking, though I too agree with Diamond about the coasts.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Schwarzkreuz
12-06-2013, 07:46 PM
Agree too, a relief Ocean might be more suited.

Viking
12-08-2013, 09:40 PM
Thank you guys!
I definitely will keep exploring with it and yes, I definitely need to match the ocean to the land when I get to that part.

Lingon: Yea, maybe a single blue line would work. Perhaps I will experiment with making the coast outline itself blue...

Eilathen: Thanks :) Yes, a world map would be pretty fun :)

Lingon
12-09-2013, 12:55 PM
Perhaps I will experiment with making the coast outline itself blue... That sounds good :)

Maraxus_
12-11-2013, 01:59 PM
I like the second map a lot. But how did it came to ~2 Kingdoms amidst so many Republics (A Federation is just a different kind of Republic. No idea what a Dominion is)? I mean a Kings claim to the throne is based upon some metaphysical right, which is proven false when the majority of all nations is ruled by a council or representatives of a significant part of the population.
Sure at a local level you could have Warlords executing total power but only over the people they could personally boss around. You can't build a feudal hierarchy on that without a strong sense of class society in the population, at best you would get a kind of noble republic, where the rulers manage to shield their subjects from egalitarian ideas swapping over from the republics but they themselves do not really benefit from giving up personal power to the hands of a King.

Viking
12-11-2013, 09:49 PM
Thanks! They are just official titles the countries go by and I have not fleshed them out in real depth. I use the terms as such. Kingdom simply means it has a monarchy, even if it is constitutional and greatly reduced in power such as one could refer to the modern day United Kingdom of the Kingdom or the Netherlands. Republic and federation are loosely defined as well. The USSR called itself a republic for instance and there are historical precedents for republics amongst kindgoms and empires such as early ancient Rome and the republic of Venice in the late middle ages. The Ipstisian dominion is an autonomous constituent part of a larger empire not shown on the map akin to how the British Empire once had several dominions under it.

Veldehar
12-12-2013, 10:48 PM
Some seriously sweet work here, looking forward to any improvements on the style.

Veldehar
12-13-2013, 02:17 PM
On a lighter note, I glanced at the map again today and in my mind pronounced it Chlamydia as the "ns" was off the edge of the monitor ... LOL. Southern Chlamydia... yes, chlamydia does occur down south, LOL. Brains are funny things.

Viking
12-16-2013, 02:07 AM
Hahaha! Oh man.... that didn't even occur to me but yes it's very similar! Thanks too :)