PDA

View Full Version : *** December Challenge - Map a 5 Room Dungeon ***

arsheesh
12-05-2013, 11:43 PM
Some time back there was a very interesting article over at Role Playing Tips on The 5 Room Dungeon (http://www.roleplayingtips.com/readissue.php?number=156#1). The basic idea is to create a quick and interesting one shot adventure type of scenario involving a complex with just 5 rooms. To make things interesting each room has a distinctive feature:

Entrance Guardian - The reason the dungeon hasn't been plundered before (e.g. trap, lost key, literal guardian);
Puzzle or Role Playing Challenge - this room ought to allow access to both rooms 3 and 4;
Red Herring - something about this room looks appealing but investigating it turns out to be a mistake;
Climax, Big Battle or Conflict - this is where the big boss is, or where the climax of the plot leads;
Plot Twist - a room that features something unexpected that takes the story in a new direction;

I'm paraphrasing quite a lot here and I would recommend that you read the full post in the link above if you decide to do the challenge. So the challenge just is to map a 5 room dungeon according to the above format. It doesn't have to be a "fantasy" dungeon, nor even a "dungeon" as we typically understand it. What does need to be included is the following:

A five room complex of some sort;
Some form of explanation of what's happening in each room (a key would be nice but a simple explanation will do).

One other thing, apparently they ran a contest (http://www.roleplayingtips.com/5-room-dungeons/) over at RP Tips for writing a 5 Room Contest and if you are looking for inspiration or even just some examples you may want to check this out.

Please include the following in your entry threads:

Title each new thread December 2013 Entry - <your title>

Precede each WIP image with the tag ### Latest WIP ###.

The challenge will end on or around the first of January, and the winner will receive a golden compass, an enviable accolade here at the Guild.

gpig
12-06-2013, 02:25 AM
excellent!

Carbus
12-06-2013, 08:38 AM
Maybe it`s a stupid question, but I`ll ask it anyway. Does it have to be an actual room? I mean can it be another thing with the same mechanics, like 5 islands or 5 planets that are somewhat conected, but you must do something to go to the next?

Falconius
12-06-2013, 09:05 AM
Maybe it`s a stupid question, but I`ll ask it anyway. Does it have to be an actual room? I mean can it be another thing with the same mechanics, like 5 islands or 5 planets that are somewhat conected, but you must do something to go to the next?It can be another thing with the same mechanics I'd say. Either one of your suggestions sound interesting to be presented in this manner.

WillyWombat
12-06-2013, 11:36 AM
Well I thought I'd wait for a while before jumping into challenges... but this one speaks to me!

arsheesh
12-06-2013, 01:52 PM
Maybe it`s a stupid question, but I`ll ask it anyway. Does it have to be an actual room? I mean can it be another thing with the same mechanics, like 5 islands or 5 planets that are somewhat conected, but you must do something to go to the next?

Sure, as long as the connection between them is made clear.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

EricPoehlsen
12-07-2013, 04:00 AM
Well I am curious, what you guys will come up with - I decided to pass on this one ...

Larb
12-08-2013, 01:06 AM
This one is definitely doable for me and I do need to work on my dungeon mapping.

Lingon
12-08-2013, 04:44 AM
Ooh, I really want to enter this! I've never tried dungeon mapping and the 5 room setup with determined functions seems like a pretty good entry point. Probably won't be able to find the time this month though, so I think I'll just sit back and watch :)

Lukc
12-08-2013, 08:52 AM
Where be the entries?

Lukc
12-08-2013, 09:03 AM
Oh, I am entering this one ... just got a massive idea :D :D

Diamond
12-08-2013, 05:49 PM
Hey, welcome back! It's been a few months...

Bogie
12-08-2013, 06:35 PM
Perfect, now I just have to come up with some Ideas.

Lukc
12-09-2013, 09:13 AM
At least 7 months, I'd wager. I've gone from having much time to very little very quickly.

Cunning Cartographer
12-14-2013, 09:22 AM
Slowly working on something. will add a WIP thread soon :)

Larb
12-14-2013, 11:54 PM
It's party month so I'm just trying to find a moment free of absinthe to make a proper start on this. =P

Cunning Cartographer
12-15-2013, 05:57 AM
Looking at how crazy your maps are Larb I thought you were always under the influence of absinthe :D

Carbus
01-02-2014, 12:52 PM
So...when does the voting begin? :D

arsheesh
01-02-2014, 04:03 PM
Been out of town on holiday but I'll have the voting up in the next hour.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Cunning Cartographer
01-02-2014, 05:14 PM
Really glad you were, was down to the wire for me. I have a REALLY understanding wife as I was working this on Dec 31st at 11:55pm while she's waiting in the living room to pop some champagne to bring the new year in :P

arsheesh
01-02-2014, 05:26 PM
I know the feeling Yospeck.

- Max -
01-02-2014, 05:50 PM
Really glad you were, was down to the wire for me. I have a REALLY understanding wife as I was working this on Dec 31st at 11:55pm while she's waiting in the living room to pop some champagne to bring the new year in :P
And I thought my wife was very understanding :D

Lukc
01-06-2014, 04:26 PM
Well ...

shucks. I missed another one. :-/

Cunning Cartographer
01-06-2014, 04:40 PM
Or you're just in time for the January one :)